EDF Monthly

Options

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 July 2018 at 9:17AM
    Options
    I had the same when I was with them, First Utility and Scottish Power were the same, they wanted the DD to bounce up and down like a beach ball.

SSE were better, they just billed quarterly and left it alone but gave a warning on their bills that the DD might not cover the shortfall.

As it happens, I do my own calcs and reckon to be withing about +/- £15 at the end of the year depending on the weather. My current situation is £73.18 in debit at the end of June, estimated £36.95 debit at the end of July, £0.73 debit at the end of August with a forecast £5.73 in credit at the end of the contract in November. I pay £76 a month

Although I shall be looking at what deals are around at the end of August.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pooch wrote: »
    Perhaps had the most issues with EDF compared to any other supplier over the way they kept wanting to change my monthly DD; one minute up the next down.

To their credit, a quick phone call to them on each occassion resulted in them agreeing to not change the payment amount.
    But it would be even better if they sorted out their computer algorithm so that I didn't have to maker the call and get a human to override the computer.

I was last a customer of EDF in 2014, when this constant battle over unfathomable changes in DD was a major issue. Thought they would have resolved by now-but obviously not:(
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been with EDF for over 6 years and have had great service. I have a monthly DD, won't accept a Smartmeter and read my meter every 2 months. If I have a problem, I go to the Chatline and work it out. The website is very good one and agents are helpful. I have Online Saver April 19, a paperless tariff and it is fixed: whenever EDF offer another Tariff, I examine it and either set it up or move on. I pay just £74 a month for Gas and electricity.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have just changed from EDF to First Utility and this morning EDF took £51.00 from my bank account even thought the account is now closed I sent as requested the meter readings to First Utility and according to my account there I should be paying them £45.00 from 5th July so will I be forking out £91.00 in July ???
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Well being 3 months in, I thought I would send a reading in. (none requested oddly). Wish I hadn't bothered!

Had an email to say my bill was ready to view and that my monthly amount needed to change :mad: (expecting an unnecessary increase)

But they want to decrease by £4 month, which will leave it a whole months payment short at the end.

How the hell can they predict what I will use in winter?
    I had carefully set up my DD amount!

Anyway I think there is a button to change it back so I better do that.

Don't think I will be rushing to send in any more readings in summertime or until requested as it's just creating extra work for me!
    Easier to keep a record myself.

Next time I change it will be back to Quarterly billed exact usage

I got the DD changed back.
    But a month later they read the meter themselves. Produced a bill for £7 :rotfl: and want to reduce the DD by £5.

Will get it changed back again.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We are all going to have trouble from November on because none of them can cope with the last really bad winter & then they won't be able to cope with this really good summer. It is unlikely to matter much which company you are with.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Humm looks like they broken the lock off my meter box when they read it.

I took a reading yeterday, did some fag packed calculations, and it looked like I would be well in credit by the end of March when my fixed tarrif ends.

So I gave them the reading.

My bill states

We'll refund £58 on 16 Jan
    Your monthly payments are INCREASING.

WFT ???!!

So I can understand they think I will stay with them, on a more expensive tarriff, but why refund me money at the same time????
  • mrnkar
    mrnkar Posts: 416 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2019 at 9:31PM
    Options
    They have done the exact same to me. I always like be in credit in the winter as my monthly dd doesn't cover my winter bills but it all evens out over the year. I have just send them my reading and they are refunding me £145 but putting my dd by £20 a month. When I was with scottish power i could tick an option not to refunded any credit but don't seem to be able to do this with EDF.
    I send them my reading every 3 months but they only ask for them twice a year.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Hi I would welcome some advise from customers of EDF on monthly DD.

I've been used to quarterly DD where they remind you to send a reading in quarterly and then provide a bill for what has been used.

It was so much hassle switching this time, I decided to stay on monthly DD (gas) (worked out I would loose less than £2 in interest), but as I have never been on it, how does it work?

1. Do they remind me to send a reading monthly?
    What do they expect of me?

2. How often do I get a bill ? to understand if my monthly DD is on target?

3. What are EDF like for increasing the DD once agreed ?

Switched to EDF barely a month ago so I can only answer "1".

On the tariff I'm on, Easy Online Dec 19, EDF say they will ask for a meter reading by email / online message when they require one. They say they will ask for a reading annually and will bill annually but they "will try to do it 6-monthly". This information should be in your online account and app.

On direct debits they split my annual consumption at my previous supplier into 12 equal monthly DDs and they say they will try to revise the DD when they get a meter reading but they don't guarantee it. Again this info should be in your online account and app.
  • mrnkar
    mrnkar Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Switched to EDF barely a month ago so I can only answer "1".

On the tariff I'm on, Easy Online Dec 19, EDF say they will ask for a meter reading by email / online message when they require one. They say they will ask for a reading annually and will bill annually but they "will try to do it 6-monthly". This information should be in your online account and app.

On direct debits they split my annual consumption at my previous supplier into 12 equal monthly DDs and they say they will try to revise the DD when they get a meter reading but they don't guarantee it. Again this info should be in your online account and app.

That's correct but you can send them readings anytime you want. I find this best as we all know that our usage can be different from year to year, depending on the weather etc. That's why i send them mine every 3 months as if I am using more or less than previous, they can adjust my dd accordingly.
    Nothing worse than no reading for maybe 12 months & finding out you owe them lots of money. Although saying that, they have just refunded me as I was so much in credit, & they had already reduced my dd in July, but my contract ends next month so probably makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure