Are there compensation rights for delayed baggage reclaim at airports?

Options

Comments

• MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    I don't see why it's RyanAir's fault. If anyone's it is surely the airport's

I contacted Stansted Airport about the baggage delay and they replied that this is managed independently by the airline / its handling agent, hence they suggest contacting them directly.

The desk in baggage reclaim was labelled as a Ryanair desk and they were the ones who told me to take the taxi and that Ryanair would definitely refund.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately it is not the first time I have come across stories from passengers who have been given incorrect information by airport staff.
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is not the first time I have come across stories from passengers who have been given incorrect information by airport staff.

There was a long queue of people complaining at the baggage reclaim information desk and it wouldn't surprise me if many were told they could reclaim taxis, as it is an easy way to get rid of people. Surely it cannot be right though and someone has to be responsible for the promises made to passengers? Who is the regulator for this kind of thing?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I submitted a claim to Ryanair and they replied:

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Please be advised that we do not take responsibility for the delay at the baggage carousel at the airport, as it is the property of the airport itself and not Ryanair.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, serif]We are sorry to hear that you have missed the last coach, however due to the above we are not in a position to accede to your taxi refund request.[/FONT]

That is despite their own information desk telling me to take a taxi home saying it would "definitely" be refunded!!

My understanding is that the baggage handlers work for ground handling companies such as Swissport etc. They, in turn, are contracted by the airlines to move baggage from the aircraft to the arrivals hall, amongst other things. Jet2 seem to be the exception as they self handle.

From Botts website...

Flight Cancellations Due To A Third Party

Sometimes flights can be cancelled due to issues arising from the actions of a third party – a company other than the airline.

If your flight has been cancelled because of something a third party has done then you could be eligible for flight compensation under Regulation 261/2004.

We have seen cases where a company responsible for operating the stairs that allow passengers to embark and disembark an aircraft have actually driven into the plane causing damage that needed repairing.

Even though it is a third party that has created the problem leading to the cancellation, it is the airlines responsibility under Regulation 261/2004 to look after their passengers and pay compensation when the flight is delayed or cancelled

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2018 at 5:28PM
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    ........ Jet2 seem to be the exception as they self handle.

Tyzap, I'm not sure if that's the case any more certainly in my recent delay at CDG - they were using a third party called the Alyzia team ?

http://www.alyzia.com/?lang=en

They were as useful as CAA though !

But after re-reading this thread - I bet you're talking about self handling in the UK ?
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mark, I would write to Stansted and send them a copy of the letter from Ryan Air. Your letter should be along the lines,
    "as you told me that the airline were to blame, I duly wrote to them. As you will see from their reply, they are blaming you for what happened.
    The situation is unacceptable as you are both playing tennis with me as the ball. Unless one of you accepts responsibility and reimburses me I intend to sue you both and let you fight it out between you in Court." Send a copy to Ryanair.
    There is a potential problem in that Ryanair are in Ireland but don't worry about that for now.
  • NoviceAngel
    Options
    Tyzap, I'm not sure if that's the case any more certainly in my recent delay at CDG - they were using a third party called the Alyzia team ?

http://www.alyzia.com/?lang=en

They were as useful as CAA though !

But after re-reading this thread - I bet you're talking about self handling in the UK ?

The fact that you thanked the post made it even worse! Well how am I to know such a professional operation like Jet2 don't employ staff all over the world!

Don't worry the mod team will lock me back into the J2 thread:rotfl:
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Even though it is a third party that has created the problem leading to the cancellation, it is the airlines responsibility under Regulation 261/2004 to look after their passengers and pay compensation when the flight is delayed or cancelled

The problem (for the OP) is that there is nothing in EU261 which covers this kind of situation. The flight was delayed but not enough to entitle him to compensation. I really don't see how there's a claim here under EU261 (or anywhere else for that matter, unless the OP has proof that he was promised reimbursement for his taxi expenses).
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    The problem (for the OP) is that there is nothing in EU261 which covers this kind of situation. The flight was delayed but not enough to entitle him to compensation. I really don't see how there's a claim here under EU261 (or anywhere else for that matter, unless the OP has proof that he was promised reimbursement for his taxi expenses).

Yes I agree.

A 3rd party could cause a situation where the airline becomes liable for 261 claims, but not in the above scenario. The delay clock stops when the first aircraft exit door opens.

Had a similar problem occurred at the start of the flight, on top of the original 1.5hr delay, the op would have a valid claim.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • NoviceAngel
    Options
    ....... As a result I missed the last coach of the night home so had to either wait until 07:30 for the next one or take an expensive taxi home. Are there any compensation rights in this situation?

I would definitely run your flight through Botts excellent claims calculator and go for it IF you have a valid claim.

Good luck with your claim,

Cheers

NoviceAngel

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure