17 Daughter moving out

My 17 year old daughter wants to move out as she can't live personally with the mother anymore (neglect). I am currently working abroad and I live 90 miles away from the children.
What option does my daughter have and where could she get some advice from?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well very few. Until she turns 18 she cannot rent a property by herself.

I assume you're the father? Can you rent on her behalf?

Legally she should not live alone either to be fair. BUT most agencies accept it's very difficult to make a 17 year old do anything.
  • CarpeDi3m
    CarpeDi3m Posts: 8 Forumite
    Yes I am the father, but I financially can’t afford to rent on her behalf as I accumulated massive amount of debts and from the sale of family home I am not going to receive anything as ex is going to receive most of it.
    Are there any agencies she could turn to?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    CarpeDi3m wrote: »
    Yes I am the father, but I financially can’t afford to rent on her behalf as I accumulated massive amount of debts and from the sale of family home I am not going to receive anything as ex is going to receive most of it.
    Are there any agencies she could turn to?
    Social services?

But again it depends on the level of 'neglect' - she is 17 so in many ways self sufficient
  • CarpeDi3m
    CarpeDi3m Posts: 8 Forumite
    thanks will give it a try.

neglect - just another mother living of her children and not taking care of them
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Is there no family that could help your daughter out?

I do hope she can find a place that is safe and secure.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have her come live with you?
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Depends where she is. Foyer Federation has some places across the country, or there may be other supported housing schemes for young people in that area. A local link suggests Shelter for advice.

Plus, she must be in some kind of education, there will be someone at school / college who can give advice and hopefully also support.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • fabforty
    fabforty Posts: 809 Forumite
    You said you live 90 miles away from ' your children' which implies there are others apart from the 17 year old - are they neglected too? In which case sounds like you need a more permanent solution for all of your children, such as taking custody yourself - even if it means relocating.
  • wheelz
    wheelz Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there social housing in your area? There should be a link on your council's website. There might be a minimum age of 18. Properties are let to those with the highest level of need. Might not be helpful immediately but always good to know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure