We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Potentially being asked to relocate

Options
So, I work for a local company and have done for several years. It's a very short commute and I enjoy my job. I've had one half-day sick day since 2011, I'm always here, I always deliver. I essentially run a one-man showroom.

The company I work for is owned by an elderly gentleman, he employs his sons and grandsons on very healthy wages - That's fine, it's the private sector. However, he has one particular grandson who is paid without even turning up for work, he literally is paid to stay in bed and do nothing for the most part. There is a lot of resentment towards him within the company, for obvious reasons - but almost entirely from the rest of the workforce, not his relatives. Due to this resentment, nobody enjoys working with him and that gives him enough reason to not bother coming in, because he says nobody likes him - a very convenient cycle.

The owner (the grandfather) is extremely lax when it comes to his relatives, he lets them get away with murder, especially this one in particular. The grandfather's recent great idea was to set up another showroom and have the lazy grandson run it to justify him being paid for doing nothing, the only problem is that the new showroom is located maybe 40 miles away from the current one (mine) and is on a notoriously congested route, at best another two hours of driving a day, at worst 3+. So this idea has been in the process for a few weeks and contracts are being signed for the sites etc. now that it's becoming reality, they're realising that the lazy grandson is highly unlikely to even turn up most days, let alone everyday, due to the fact that he'll be so far away that he wont be able to be supervised.

I've just been told by an employee that they're discussing the posibility of asking me to go there and for the grandson to be nearby and run my current showroom, so that they can keep an eye on him.

I have no interest in adding 20'000 miles a year to my commute and another 10 hours (At absolute minimum, it's far more likely to be closer to 15 hours) to my driving each week - I don't see why I should be expected to because he's a useless little pr*ck who can't be trusted.

I have no mobility clause in my contract, but can anyone offer me any further legal advice on this. To what degree can I refuse this, especially as my current showroom does fantastically well in terms of sales.

Thanks in advance to all of you.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shaned1985 wrote: »
    So, I work for a local company and have done for several years. It's a very short commute and I enjoy my job. I've had one half-day sick day since 2011, I'm always here, I always deliver. I essentially run a one-man showroom.

The company I work for is owned by an elderly gentleman, he employs his sons and grandsons on very healthy wages - That's fine, it's the private sector. However, he has one particular grandson who is paid without even turning up for work, he literally is paid to stay in bed and do nothing for the most part. There is a lot of resentment towards him within the company, for obvious reasons - but almost entirely from the rest of the workforce, not his relatives. Due to this resentment, nobody enjoys working with him and that gives him enough reason to not bother coming in, because he says nobody likes him - a very convenient cycle.

The owner (the grandfather) is extremely lax when it comes to his relatives, he lets them get away with murder, especially this one in particular. The grandfather's recent great idea was to set up another showroom and have the lazy grandson run it to justify him being paid for doing nothing, the only problem is that the new showroom is located maybe 40 miles away from the current one (mine) and is on a notoriously congested route, at best another two hours of driving a day, at worst 3+. So this idea has been in the process for a few weeks and contracts are being signed for the sites etc. now that it's becoming reality, they're realising that the lazy grandson is highly unlikely to even turn up most days, let alone everyday, due to the fact that he'll be so far away that he wont be able to be supervised.

I've just been told by an employee that they're discussing the posibility of asking me to go there and for the grandson to be nearby and run my current showroom, so that they can keep an eye on him.

I have no interest in adding 20'000 miles a year to my commute and another 10 hours (At absolute minimum, it's far more likely to be closer to 15 hours) to my driving each week - I don't see why I should be expected to because he's a useless little pr*ck who can't be trusted.

I have no mobility clause in my contract, but can anyone offer me any further legal advice on this. To what degree can I refuse this, especially as my current showroom does fantastically well in terms of sales.

Thanks in advance to all of you.
    Basically if you refuse it sounds like you'll be unemployed fairly soon.

As for the grandson - that's up to the owner.
  • shaned1985
    shaned1985 Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2018 at 3:31PM
    Options
    But without a mobility clause in my contract, he has no legal right to relocate me unless I agree to it, or unless there is no longer any work in my current location? My current location is thriving. To give my position to his grandson and move me elsewhere isn't something he can do without me agreeing to it. Or am I mistaken?#

From what I can gather, I can refuse the move, as I have no mobility clause, but he'd then have to make me redundant. But could he do that if my job position is still open? We're not moving premises, my current location will still be here. Would he then be able to position someone else here instead of me after making me redundant?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks for taking the time out to read it.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But without a mobility clause in my contract, he has no legal right to relocate me unless I agree to it, or unless there is no longer any work in my current location? My current location is thriving. To give my position to his grandson and move me elsewhere isn't something he can do without me agreeing to it. Or am I mistaken?

Sorry to put it like this but who would you prioritise, a ten a penny employee or your grandson.

You can argue about a lot of legal things but its not usually too difficult to find reason to dismiss someone whose causing you problems. Then youre just angry and jobless instead of just angry about the grandson.

Its not a good answer or right answer for you but i suspect it could be the only answer if you cause more problems than youre worth.

Personally id be looking to take advantage. A pay rise to cover the cost of fuel whilst incorporating travel in to my working day at the least. Thus same hours for you ideally with money on top after costs. If hes happy to pay grandson to do nothing, he shouldn't mind paying someone else to accommodate for him.
  • Comms69
    Options
    But without a mobility clause in my contract, he has no legal right to relocate me unless I agree to it, or unless there is no longer any work in my current location? My current location is thriving. To give my position to his grandson and move me elsewhere isn't something he can do without me agreeing to it. Or am I mistaken?#

From what I can gather, I can refuse the move, as I have no mobility clause, but he'd then have to make me redundant. But could he do that if my job position is still open? We're not moving premises, my current location will still be here. Would he then be able to position someone else here instead of me after making me redundant?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks for taking the time out to read it.

Ultimately yes he can. Now I'm not saying he would, or that it's easy to do. But being managed out is quite common
  • shaned1985
    Options
    Well, I won't be relocating, so I guess it'll be a case of redundancy if he's within his rights to do that and then give my job to his grandson.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Well, I won't be relocating, so I guess it'll be a case of redundancy if he's within his rights to do that and then give my job to his grandson.
    It wouldn't be. You would be managed out (if it got to that stage) which means either resigning or being dismissed.

Just to be clear im not saying he would do that, just the potential is there
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Is this officially going to happen, or has it come through the grapevine?

If it's true that is the plan, I'd go and see them and just say that you don't want to go, point out you great sales record and that you want to stay in your current location. Then see what they say. If they say that tough, they need you in the new place, then that is the time to say tha very regretfully you will ahve to consider handing in your resignation.

It may be that they won't want to let you go and you can stay where you are. Then the grandson either steps up or they get someone else in to manage the new site.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd not do it.

It's too far, too much.

I'd stick to my guns and say "not going; not going to do it" and see if they laid me off.... and, if they did, so be it.

You'd not enjoy the journey anyway, the cost to travel would be prohibitive, you'd hate your job, you'd hate them, you'd hate the grandson so much you'd spit in his face the second he arrives (if he does) .....

Just say "No". Stand your ground .... and if that's it then let it be - but you can't let yourself be the family doormat.

For some jobs and companies and changes in employment etc it's worth it - this doesn't sound worth it at all.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    edited 22 February 2018 at 3:59PM
    Options
    How the owner wishes to treat members of his own family is entirely his business (literally and metaphorically) and has no bearing on whether or not they can force you to relocate.
    Following restructing at a company I worked for our office was closed and we were moved about 35 miles. Option was basically accept or leave. We were told that because the move was below a certain distance they could do it without having to offer redundancy. I can't remember what the maximum distance was, and this was back in 2002 so rules & regs may have changed.

This might help https://www.gov.uk/employer-relocation-your-rights
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options

I don't think it would be a case of redundancy - more likely dismissal....do you have an 'any reasonable request' clause in your contract?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport