Spark Energy and Opos Limit problem

Options

Comments

• lindalou73
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I'm having an absolute nightmare here. We 'had' to join spark energy in July 2012 as it was tied in with a rental agreement but after being constantly given wrong bills ect no matter how on time I was with my metre readings we left. At the last look at my account it showed that they actually owed me money!! I cut my losses and left and even had a letter from them saying 'sorry to see you go'
    Now FIVE years later we are moving to a new property, again Spark Energy were tied into the contract but I absolutely refused to use them again stating my reasons. Two days later I have received emails,texts and phone calls from Opos saying that Spark energy say we owe them £611?? Five years later??? I suffer with stress and anxiety and already I'm stressed with the prospect of moving house. How are these crooks still in business?? I've been with Npower and I'm currently with SSE and I have had no issues whatsoever with them. Their prices may be higher but their service is brilliant and you know where you stand at all times. Opos have said I need to contact Spark directly but I cant get them on the phone and my online account apparently no longer exists? Any help would be appreciated.
  • JStewer
    JStewer Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    lindalou73 wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but I'm having an absolute nightmare here. We 'had' to join spark energy in July 2012 as it was tied in with a rental agreement but after being constantly given wrong bills ect no matter how on time I was with my metre readings we left. At the last look at my account it showed that they actually owed me money!! I cut my losses and left and even had a letter from them saying 'sorry to see you go'
    Now FIVE years later we are moving to a new property, again Spark Energy were tied into the contract but I absolutely refused to use them again stating my reasons. Two days later I have received emails,texts and phone calls from Opos saying that Spark energy say we owe them £611?? Five years later??? I suffer with stress and anxiety and already I'm stressed with the prospect of moving house. How are these crooks still in business?? I've been with Npower and I'm currently with SSE and I have had no issues whatsoever with them. Their prices may be higher but their service is brilliant and you know where you stand at all times. Opos have said I need to contact Spark directly but I cant get them on the phone and my online account apparently no longer exists? Any help would be appreciated.

I suggest you look again at your account and tell us what has changed, why and when.

Only with this data can we assess and advise you.

But creditors have up to 6 years to claim any money owed (in England & Wales - laws in other lands may differ)
  • Hi lindalou73

Sorry to hear about this.

If you'd like some help please send an email to the address in my profile. I'd need your full name, your supply address and any other information that you think would be helpful.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • glteam01
    Options
    I am also currently being hounded by OPOS on behalf of Spark. Before OPOS became involved I tried to contact Spark, but can only call after 6pm at night (due to work as a teacher) and was always put into a waiting queue that never seemed to end. Now I'm getting OPOS sending me text messages, emails (which they don't respond to) and phone calls while I'm in the middle of teaching lessons, many times a day.

The problem is not paying the bill, it's that my final bill from Spark is wildly inaccurate. I also didn't request Spark as my provider; they were arranged by the property agent my lease is with. Spark should have received an accurate reading from my property agent as the 'start' reading is documented in my lease. But according to Spark the starting reading is 659kWh more than what is in my lease. I have sent emails to OPOS (since they are now involved) explaining the problem and providing evidence of the actual readings/usage and have had nothing but an auto reply in return. I would like to get this sorted out please!
  • Srider080591
    Options
    I have the same issue. Haven't had an account in 4 years. They were so horrid I switched to npower. Their incompetence astounds me. They took the final meter reading incorrectly and sent me a final bill for 1 month of gas of over £700! Did they think I was supplying the whole street!

Called them three times after that I'll was sent with the correct reading as did n power and it is all logged on their system and n powers that I did this and they never bothered to act on it!

Now 2 years later I've got some Scottish idiot demanding £700 4 or 5 times a day and bombarding me with emails and text. Tried to raise this directly with spark and they promised over 4 days ago they would stop this in 48 hours... just got another email today

Any idea where I go to next!?!? Help!
  • Hi glteam01

Can you pop me an email to the address in my profile please?

It'd be great if you could confirm your full name, your MSE screen name, your supply address and if possible quote this post.

Happy to help once I hear from you.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi Srider080591

I'm sure I can help with this if you get in touch.

Can you send me an email to the address in my profile please?

I'd need you to confirm your full name, your MSE screen name, your supply address and if possible quote this post.

Happy to help once I hear from you.

Kind regards

Jenny
  • benjiplace
    Options
    I've also had issues with Spark Energy. I received an email from a dept collector saying I owed £277.04 from 2 years previously and to contact asap. I rang Opos office and was assured it would be looked into and promised a phone call back the same day - no phone call. I emailed the following day - no return email.

I then emailed 24 Feb 2018 Spark Energy querying this amount and was told a final bill of £24.13 for electricity was generated 9 June 2015. A copy of this bill was attached to the email. I replied saying I was finding it all very stressful, asking why Spark Energy had not sent a reminder either by email, post or telephone at the time of issue instead of waiting 2 year and then using a dept company. I have always paid my bills promptly on receipt but have no knowledge of this last bill or a reminder.

As far as I was concerned I had settled my final bill, as I thought, on 26 February 2015 an amount of £133.25. I then found during the months of March and April both Spark Energy and British Gas were taking direct debits out of my bank account. So within a period of 49 days I had in fact paid out £359.25 for duel fuel. Believing the changeover of energy suppliers had been completed and final payment made I duly cancelled my direct debit to Spark Energy.

I also pointed out that if my account was still outstanding why can't I access this online. I've tried logging on but my details are not recognized. I've since sent an email 12 March 2018 to customer service saying as I haven't had any acknowledgement from your company since sending my email dated 28 Feb and paying the attached bill £24.13, re **** I can only consider that this matter is now settled.

Response from Spark Energy - SILENCE!!!
  • Hi benjiplace

Sorry to hear about this.

Can you forward the emails over to the address given in my profile please? I'd be happy to help.

Kind regards

Jenny
  • DRVN1
    DRVN1 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello there Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager of Spark Energy

My daughter and her flatmates are experiencing terrible issues with payments through their meter in their rented property.

They moved into a 2/3 bed flat at the end of February and before committing, took some time to research the likely monthly cost of their electricity (there is no gas there.) Spark suggested that around £40 per month would be average for theirs.

Since that date, they have been averaging £100 + PER WEEK!!!
    IT IS KILLING THEM AS THEY DON'T HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY.

The problem is then that, they are being held to ransom because there is a meter at the property. They don't keep feeding the meter, they get no power.

So. WHAT'S THE REAL ISSUE?
    1) Their consumption is that of a grand mansion. Do they need to cut down?
    There's no way they use that much and they're virtually skinflints in their usage, so that's not it.
    2) SPARK CHARGES WAY TOO MUCH for their electricity?
    It's possible that theirs is not the best deal, but even that wouldn't account for they paying TEN
    TIMES THE AVERAGE THAT EVEN SPARK THEMSELVES ADVISED.
    3) There is a problem with the electrics within the flat itself.
    That was a possibility and the landlord arranged for an electrician to check the appliances.
    4) The meter is faulty?
    This is possible and SPARK promised to book a priority appointment at the beginning OF MARCH.
    They broke that promise.
    They then organised another 'appointment' on 18TH MARCH.
    They were called 24hours beforehand and confirmed that the visit would be between 8am-8pm
    THEY BROKE THAT APPOINTMENT.
    The next day they said they were not even aware an appointment was due!
    THEY SAID THAT THEY WOULD TRY TO ORGANIZE ANOTHER APPOINTMENT IN ABOUT 4 MORE WEEKS!

In the meantime, 3 people are paying in excess of £100 per week to SPARK.
    If the meter is found to be faulty, then a hefty refund is due.
    THE METER NEEDS TO BE CHECKED.
    Everything hinges on this check.

In the meantime, THEY NEED A BREAK FROM THESE OUTRAGEOUS PAYMENTS!
    And if the fault is with the electrics themselves?
    Then you have the guarantee that if any outstanding payments are due to you, they will be met.

THIS SITUATION IS CRIPPLING.
    They need help now Jenny please. NOW. I don't know how many times they spoken to your various teams, managers, live chat representatives BUT NOTHING CHANGES.

SORRY FOR THE TIRADE, BUT WHAT DOES IT TAKE?!
    :(:(:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure