Options
123457»

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chomeur wrote: »
    What would be a good extra card to apply for? I have a Lloyds and an MBNA Amex card. I just tried to apply for the BA one but it says "You will not be eligible for any Welcome Bonus award if you currently hold or have held any Avios enrolled American Express Card in the past six months", which the Lloyds one is.

And the TSB. The only one I see not applicable to shop small according to the Amex T&Cs is TSB but as far as I know that card is no longer available.

Pretty good deal for me this time around: Spend 10 quid at the local chippy and get a fiver back: Cod n chips twice please :)
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got a Sainsburys one in Oct, spend 2K in 3 months(I think) and get some Nectar points.
  • loranius
    loranius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MyUsername wrote: »
    I have four Amex cards (Its not to run into debt its just they each save money in different places and some more than others) and I am told that if I add the offer to each card I can effectively get £20 off at each retailer by using a separate card each time, is this correct?

You could just split your payment between your 4 cards at the same time (restaurant for example). A lot of people seem to do this rather than visit the same place multiple times to use different cards.
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone advise me please. I have my Amex card number of times and on every occasion I received an email straight away confirming cashback.

However today I used it at completely different shop - 1st time. The shop address matches the add on amex website however when I click on pending transaction it shows a different shop postcode. The name of the shop on the receipt is different to the one on my online banking and different to participant shop listed on Amex website. I have received no email confirmation email on this occasion.

I know this shop has changed there number of times now.

Have I lost the £5 - what should I do?
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    starM wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me please. I have my Amex card number of times and on every occasion I received an email straight away confirming cashback.

However today I used it at completely different shop - 1st time. The shop address matches the add on amex website however when I click on pending transaction it shows a different shop postcode. The name of the shop on the receipt is different to the one on my online banking and different to participant shop listed on Amex website. I have received no email confirmation email on this occasion.

I know this shop has changed there number of times now.

Have I lost the £5 - what should I do?

Is it the same address? Is it the same company?

Give Amex a call after a few days if it doesn't credit, stating you went and paid via your Amex (you can give the details). More than likely they will credit the £5 there and then.

Amex are also very good at crediting the £5 for companies that are listed that refuse to take Amex when you attempt to pay. Many times I've dined at restaurants listed and Amex have never refused to cover the £5 when the restaurant refuses to accept Amex.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I think this is the 3rd or 4th year I've opted in to Shop Small and have yet to use it - there are only 20 shops listed as part of shop small in a wide radius, mostly pubs and restuarants which don't interest me - the only shop I might actually use, doesn't actually take AMEX due to the charges and have not for several years even though they pop up on the Shop Small list every year!
  • sausage_time
    Options
    £20 so far for me!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    £55 :)
    £10 at the dentist (split the payment over two cards) (I waited for December for the check up!)
    £20 at my local Farm shop for regular purchases
    £25 on fire wood from garden centres

I have two Amex cards; BA and Lloyd's Avios, plus a card for my partner on each account.

I've also had 2* £5 back for buying 2* £10 gift cards at the post office.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure