Royal Mail Online Postage Closing Down on 23 March 2018 - but being replaced....

Comments

• I actually came here checking if it was a scam or not, having received an email.

My view (and I work in IT) is that the mail is genuine but Royal Mail and one of their systems suppliers have been unwise .

The mail I received has links and when I hover over them, which is how you check a link without the danger of clicking on it the links are something like.. "s1937.t.en25.com/e/er?elq_mid=2734&elq_cid=6504392&s=1937&lid=11526&elqTrackId=e80787f7a9344e9f99354f826edda845&elq=b0e209cd8654495ab35cdf087dd04398&elqaid=2734&elqat=1"

Now that looks like a scam. You would hope for an official Royal Mail email to have links to RoyalMail.com rather than the mysterious en25.com But in this case when we look up who owns that address (known as a WHOIS check) up we find:

Registrant Contact Name:
    Domain Administrator
    Organization:
    Oracle Corporation Street:
    500 Oracle Parkway M/S 501ip3

So. It's genuine but Royal Mail and their idiot vendor appear to have gone out of their way to make it look totally like a scam. I have no idea why they would not use the standard address for Royal Mail. It's not right mail security wise.

Hope that explains why the mail looks wrong but isn't

As you were on complaints about the bad news itself... :D
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I am confused by this, will I still be able to stick on a stamp and go to the post office and get a proof of posting cert?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Archergirl wrote: »
    I am confused by this, will I still be able to stick on a stamp and go to the post office and get a proof of posting cert?

of course.
  • mwinlow
    mwinlow Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What 'information' is false?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,195 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mwinlow wrote: »
    What 'information' is false?

The posts above explain it all.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mayday
    Mayday Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Having tried out 'Click & Drop' - impressed NOT - what a waste of paper and a much more convoluted system compared to the Online Postage system.

- One sheet of A4 paper for one address as opposed to 4 s/a labels/4 addresses to a sheet being the main one.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,195 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mayday wrote: »
    Having tried out 'Click & Drop' - impressed NOT - what a waste of paper and a much more convoluted system compared to the Online Postage system.

- One sheet of A4 paper for one address as opposed to 4 s/a labels/4 addresses to a sheet being the main one.

You can reset the format in which it prints. I love click and drop and run it alongside my RM business account, it picks up all the names and addresses for me and I just fill in the weight and postage I want and my label printer prints out single labels.

If you sell on a MVL it even uses the weight you chose before which just leaves a single click to confirm the postage.

The last time I used the online postage system I had to manually look up the addresses to add them and go through a couple of page clicks before I even got to chose how my label printed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I have been downloading my own post onto my sticky labels for the last 5 years for my Ebay sales, now I have to use click & drop?! It won't print on my sticky labels, it used a whole A4 sheet of paper and missed off my customers name! USELESS!!! I won't be using you again!!!!!
  • teeni
    teeni Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    i use click and drop it is brilliant , all the addresses and weights automatically entered and then i can batch all the same weight category and press print my label printer prints out individual labels , it is so quick and easy to use
  • Everything about this email told me it was a scam -
    Dear Customer instead of my name
    all the links were to the same address
    I didn't remember having an account(!)

So, I logged on without using the links in the email and found that I was indeed owed some money. I only entered my bank account details and address. No passwords, no DOB or other personal details. Hopefully I'll get some money back.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure