Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
  • Queenie
    My neighbour has just cleaned her upvc windows...
    by nuttywoman
    Strange woman! My windows are made of glass :confused:

Frames get cleaned with Cif (the cleaner formerly known as Jif)

Well i would ask her but she`s not exactly forthcoming with too much info - only tells you what she wants to brag about
    by nuttywoman
    Well, praise her beautifully clean windows and I'm sure she'll be delighted to brag about how she achieves it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 14th Sep 06, 10:03 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    Astonish Household or Kitchen paste is also great for plastic - UPVC window frames and garden furniture. They make a special cleaner for plastic, but the regular stuff does the job just fine.
    • withabix
    • By withabix 14th Sep 06, 10:13 PM
    • 8,959 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    Yup, there's an Astonish for UPVC frames.

There's also a caravan cleaner called Silky Caravan & Boat Cleaner. Most shed pullers swear by it.

Fenwick's Caravan Cleaner is another popular one.

My dad always uses Silky. He's been caravanning for about 50 years!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • winniepooh
    UPVC windows
    what do you use to clean your windows?:rolleyes:
  • Skint1
    White spirit .
    You can always get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than with just a kind word.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 22nd Aug 07, 10:15 AM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 10,196 Thanks
    grunnie
    Toothpaste is the only thing that cleans really really dirty upvc window frames and doors in my opinion. The white one not the gel. My son was going to replace his windows as the frames were really grotty but with a wipe with toothpast even he was amazed. I stood over him to supervise as I couldn't do all that climbing up steps but I got the brownie points for suggesting it
  • shelvis
    Ah man looks like those older posts have been deleted in the troubles. Is toothpaste really the way to go then? The interior of my UPVC patio doors is horrid (exterior worse bu i cant see that so am sticking head in sand till next summer!)
    Parent club - Alexander born 6th Jan 2008 and Arthur born 9th August 2009
    Slimming world challeng - 5.5lb lost 46.5 to go
  • shelvis
    Sorry for the shameless bump but has anyone any ideas?
    Parent club - Alexander born 6th Jan 2008 and Arthur born 9th August 2009
    Slimming world challeng - 5.5lb lost 46.5 to go
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 25th Nov 07, 7:59 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 10,196 Thanks
    grunnie
    Really try the cheap white toothpaste not gel. Use one of those sponge thingies with sponge on one side and a scubby bit on the other side. Scub it on and wipe off and be amazed at how clean it is. Used that on the surrounds of my patio doors last week and then had to go and do the window frame to match.
    • nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 25th Nov 07, 8:40 PM
    • 2,174 Posts
    • 2,168 Thanks
    nuttywoman
    Thanks, i`m going to try toothpaste i`ve nothing to lose. Hope it sorts out the seals as well.
    • brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 25th Nov 07, 9:14 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    I've found a product called 'Chemico' (AKA The pink stuff) - which my local hardware shop stocks - costs £1.50 ish for a pot & lasts ages!! It cleans windows, baths, gets sticky stuff off windows & everything!! It's fab!

Thing is..I don't know where else they'd stock it? It's a really old product from the 40's - 50's apparently!! My hardware shop sells tonnes of it though!! I'll google it & try to find out more....

Found it....http://www.heritage-homeandgarden.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=7987

Although it says there not to be used on plastics..I've checked my pot & it is for use on UPVC!!!
    Last edited by brummiebabe; 25-11-2007 at 9:19 PM.
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
    • Bongedone
    • By Bongedone 25th Nov 07, 9:21 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Bongedone
    I used to work for my father in summer holidays. He owns a UPVC installation company. We used to use Jif back then. It takes out hairline scratches.
    • Bongedone
    • By Bongedone 25th Nov 07, 9:22 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Bongedone
    I've found a product called 'Chemico' (AKA The pink stuff) - which my local hardware shop stocks - costs £1.50 ish for a pot & lasts ages!! It cleans windows, baths, gets sticky stuff off windows & everything!! It's fab!

Thing is..I don't know where else they'd stock it? It's a really old product from the 40's - 50's apparently!! My hardware shop sells tonnes of it though!! I'll google it & try to find out more....

Found it....http://www.heritage-homeandgarden.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=7987

Although it says there not to be used on plastics..I've checked my pot & it is for use on UPVC!!!
    Originally posted by brummiebabe
    Is that like sugar soap ? Used that on wooden frames and it is amazingly effortless.
    • iwanttosave
    • By iwanttosave 25th Nov 07, 9:26 PM
    • 32,245 Posts
    • 23,299 Thanks
    iwanttosave
    I use nail varnish remover on mine, brings them up like new every single time.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching

Save the cheerleader, save the world!
    • brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 25th Nov 07, 9:31 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    Is that like sugar soap ? Used that on wooden frames and it is amazingly effortless.
    Originally posted by Bongedone
    Not sure:confused: but it's very easy to use - I've given it to a friend who tried everything to get some marks off her UPVC & it was the only thing that worked - she ended up keeping the pot & I had to buy another one!!!!
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
    • Wickedkitten
    • By Wickedkitten 26th Nov 07, 12:49 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 2,135 Thanks
    Wickedkitten
    I just use stardrops
  • jodie114
    upvc cleaner
    evening everyone!
    i was after a way to clean the upvc windowsills etc without spending approx £5 on a special cleaner that i don't even know will work.
    thanks
    jodie
    • maypole
    • By maypole 10th Jan 08, 7:43 PM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    maypole
    There are a few posts elsewhere which recommend car polish for cleaning upvc. You would have to do a "search" on the forum to find it.
    • Bongedone
    • By Bongedone 10th Jan 08, 7:54 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Bongedone
    Cif or equivelent cream cleaner. I used to work for my dad installing UPVC windows and we used JIF back then. It takes the dirt out of the scratches also.

There was a post a few months back with other suggestions.
    • Crazychik
    • By Crazychik 10th Jan 08, 10:22 PM
    • 1,986 Posts
    • 17,302 Thanks
    Crazychik
    I must admit, I use star drops if Im just wiping the frame work down, but when Im actually cleaning the windows, I do use tesco own window cleaner. . works well for me!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,595Posts Today

8,159Users online

Martin's Twitter