Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 10th Mar 15, 5:07 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: 'Just got my Amazon Prime 79 back': Find out if you can do the same
    • 10th Mar 15, 5:07 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: 'Just got my Amazon Prime 79 back': Find out if you can do the same 10th Mar 15 at 5:07 PM
    MoneySavingExpert has been inundated with success stories from shoppers who've got a refund for unwanted Amazon Prime...

Read the full story:

'Just got my Amazon Prime 79 back': Find out if you can do the same

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 16-11-2015 at 4:14 PM.
Page 1
  • mrpunk50
    • 10th Mar 15, 10:53 PM
    • 10th Mar 15, 10:53 PM
    "Many claim they didn't realise they had to opt out of the year-long membership"? Surely it is glaringly obvious that a free trial will usually turn into a paid subscription if you don't cancel it.

"some say they accidentally clicked the sometimes prominently placed trial button"
    ? Then, presumably, their fingers slipped again and they accidentally agreed to the page of terms and conditions.

Apparently being a money saving expert now consists of agreeing to buy a service without bothering to work out what you're signing up for, then retrospectively acting like you're entitled to a refund.
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 11th Mar 15, 2:07 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    • 11th Mar 15, 2:07 AM
    • 11th Mar 15, 2:07 AM
    blaggers and chancers is the polite way of puting it, more honest would be st***d id**ts.
    Before christmas 2014/15 I used a 30 day try out over christmas. It was abundantly clear what the score was. I opted to continue. Part of prime is collect from a local corner shop that opens late.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Mar 15, 4:10 AM
    • 34,506 Posts
    • 29,251 Thanks
    custardy
    • 11th Mar 15, 4:10 AM
    • 11th Mar 15, 4:10 AM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5177478
    • Cimscate
    • By Cimscate 11th Mar 15, 11:34 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Cimscate
    • 11th Mar 15, 11:34 AM
    Why oh why don't people read the small print....
    • 11th Mar 15, 11:34 AM
    "Many claim they didn't realise they had to opt out of the year-long membership"? Surely it is glaringly obvious that a free trial will usually turn into a paid subscription if you don't cancel it.

"some say they accidentally clicked the sometimes prominently placed trial button"
    ? Then, presumably, their fingers slipped again and they accidentally agreed to the page of terms and conditions.

Apparently being a money saving expert now consists of agreeing to buy a service without bothering to work out what you're signing up for, then retrospectively acting like you're entitled to a refund.
    Originally posted by mrpunk50
    Couldn't have put it better myself, it's quite clear this is a 1 month free trial. I am sick of people not reading things properly and then screaming they were cheated and getting money back.
  • Savvy Northerner
    • 13th Mar 15, 8:22 AM
    Amazon Prime Refunded from 2009 to 2015!
    • 13th Mar 15, 8:22 AM
    Just contacted Amazon after reading about the fees for Amazon Prime. After a little wrangling with them they have agreed to refund me my full 275 I have paid them since 2009 for a service I never asked for and had no idea I was being charged to use. Ker-Ching!!!!!
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 13th Mar 15, 9:43 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    • 13th Mar 15, 9:43 AM
    • 13th Mar 15, 9:43 AM
    Just contacted Amazon after reading about the fees for Amazon Prime. After a little wrangling with them they have agreed to refund me my full 275 I have paid them since 2009 for a service I never asked for and had no idea I was being charged to use. Ker-Ching!!!!!
    Originally posted by Savvy Northerner
    Do you never check bank / credit card statements? How is it possible to go six years without noticing 49 or 79 coming out your account!
    • lonestarfan
    • By lonestarfan 13th Mar 15, 12:26 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    lonestarfan
    • 13th Mar 15, 12:26 PM
    • 13th Mar 15, 12:26 PM
    blaggers and chancers is the polite way of puting it, more honest would be st***d id**ts.
    Before christmas 2014/15 I used a 30 day try out over christmas. It was abundantly clear what the score was. I opted to continue. Part of prime is collect from a local corner shop that opens late.
    Originally posted by james smitha
    I did the same and it was very helpful for the Christmas shopping and I did diarise it to cancel it and did that on time. I've done a Which Mag and Love film free offers too and am aware to make sure you cancel in time. I'm not a fan of this type of thing as it means effort to keep to the deadlines but as I say I have the occasional free offer.
    However I've been caught out today.
    I ordered from Amazon on 21 Feb and it offered me free Prime again so I accepted it as I believed that must be offered to me again because I'd had a gap of 2 months and also because my credit card details had changed. However today I see I've been charged. So I got onto them straight away today and they've refunded it and were very courteous about it as was I.
    I used Live Chat function and it was brilliant so I hope my story helps others as this was not me being naieve, a blagger or a chancer but was a genuine belief they'd offered it me again. Fortunately I took screen shots as I do with all my transactions.
    Last edited by lonestarfan; 13-03-2015 at 12:29 PM.
    • Lizzie49
    • By Lizzie49 20th Mar 15, 12:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lizzie49
    • 20th Mar 15, 12:38 PM
    So easy
    • 20th Mar 15, 12:38 PM
    I got ill just after taking up the 'free offer' and missed the deadline to cancel. Thought I was going to have to bear the cost until I saw the post about claiming the money back. Was ill again so decided to cancel the membership in any case and did that online. At the end of the process I got a thank you note that also said that as I hadn't used Prime my money was going to be refunded. Will have to wait for my card statement to see if it shows up there. Thank you MSE
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 24th Mar 15, 7:09 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    **crimscate**
    **crimscate** Well put, a pity I can't buy you a drink
  • JustOnce
    Couldn't have put it better myself, it's quite clear this is a 1 month free trial. I am sick of people not reading things properly and then screaming they were cheated and getting money back.
    Originally posted by Cimscate

Why are you sick? Is this money coming from you personally, or are you just overly concerned with other people?

Either way, how strange.
    • shoi
    • By shoi 27th May 15, 7:29 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    shoi
    Having stupidly fallen into the same trap in France (Amazon Premium) I thought I was stuck for the year 49€, but no thanks to this article I resigned and am getting a refund. Hurrah
    • welshsue
    • By welshsue 27th May 15, 9:59 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    welshsue
    My eldest Son & I have amazon accounts, he's got prime but I do not. My Hubby has never had one. Last year our Son needed something for his 6th form study's & as he was short of funds his dad paid using his debit card. He then removed it from the account. A couple of months later he had 73 taken from the card. On checking with the bank it was amazon. On contacting them he was told that they used his card to pay our Son's prime membership. As you can imagine he went ballistic with them & got it refunded, but couldn't tell him how his card details were still on their even though they had been removed & not showing when my Son checked the account???

Guess what happened a few days ago. 79 payment taken from hubby's card to amazon. This time to pay my prime(which I don't have). The part we can't understand is that the card used is a replacement & has only had it 2 months & never been on amazon with it. So how did they get his card number????? They have promised to refund.
  • donday
    Refund on to expired visa card!!!
    ok I too have been done by the Amazon Prime and just noticed it after going in to my account on Amazon. I have cancelled my request and called Amazon directly who advised that the money was taken off a card ending in ****. However the card expired back end of 2013 and since then been issued a new card from the same bank. Amazon have responded saying that they cannot refund me back unless the old card is used. How can you get your money back if the visa card in question has expired? Has anyone else had this issue.
  • rosegee
    Can you better this. Like many I signed up for 30 day trial and forgot all about it. It came up last year on credit card and I paid feeling I probably would use the service but in fact never have. Tried to cancel recently on their site and find - wait for it-that according to Amazon Prime I don't have an account. Of course today I find it on my newly arrived credit card statement. How do I get them to stop taking money for a membership that apparently doesn't exist. Have contacted my credit card provider and asked them to stop further payment, waiting for them to call me back.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 12th Jul 15, 7:33 AM
    • 8,071 Posts
    • 6,665 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Same here. Account debited, but no prime membership on either of our accounts to cancel. Looks like a nice cashflow booster (scam) for Amazon. Charge a few thousand customers, have their money to use until they maybe request a refund.

Update.

E-mailed Amazon about this issue 20 minutes ago and already had an e-mail confirming a refund. They did confirm no prime membership had been applied to either of our Amazon accounts.
    Last edited by daveyjp; 12-07-2015 at 8:22 AM.
    • interestingname
    • By interestingname 9th Sep 15, 7:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    interestingname
    Got 179 back straight away, when I realised I'd been getting charged. Be persistent. It's worth it.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Sep 15, 7:19 PM
    • 34,506 Posts
    • 29,251 Thanks
    custardy
    Got 179 back straight away, when I realised I'd been getting charged. Be persistent. It's worth it.
    Originally posted by interestingname
    interesting number...
    • Transcend
    • By Transcend 21st Sep 15, 10:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Transcend
    To all the people poo-pooing claiming this charge, I'd like to share my experience with you.

I signed up to the 30-day trial, and found it to be not fit for my needs, so I cancelled it after only a couple of days. Before I realised it wasn't for me, I wanted to ensure that I didn't forget about signing up and find unexpected charges, so not only did I sign up for Amazon's reminder that the 30 days was almost up, but I set a reminder via the calendar on my phone (I can be quite forgetful sometimes).

Phone calendar reminder comes up; I go to check, website confirms that "You no longer have amazon prime".

Amazon reminder comes up; I go to check, website confirms that "You no longer have amazon prime".

Remember, I cancelled a few days in, I checked and double-checked. So, imagine my annoyance to find they charged me anyway. The idiocy of it all? Despite being charged, I still did not have amazon prime (I checked, again, and took a screenshot).

Amazon have of course agreed to refund my money (although what they are offering does not cover the full amount they have taken, including the weird little 'NON-STG PURCH FEE' / NON-STG TRANS FEE' charges), but I'm now without 65 coming up to rent day. "5-10 working days" before I get my money back. I'll be able to pay my rent but will most likely be going hungry up till the 30th, thanks to amazon. I would not be surprised to find out this is standard operating procedure and from what I've seen / heard re prime, it certainly seems to be.

Very shady practices.
    • susi360
    • By susi360 22nd Sep 15, 2:56 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    susi360
    Devious adding people to PRIME without them being aware
    I agree with some of the above comments about people not cancelling after free trial periods many sites use that to get people to subscribe to things but what Amazon are doing now is much more devious.
    I have been added to prime and cancelled it 3 times in the last WEEK. I have received a refund each time but am still not completely sure how I am getting signed up for it again and again. As far as I can see I am looking at an item on Amazon which has prime delivery options. I am actually a member of prime via the household membership, so not sure why I keep getting signed up myself and charged 79 each time.
    I think I will be avoiding even browsing on amazon in future!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

2,435Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin