Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Paloma
    • By Former MSE Paloma 12th Nov 14, 12:10 PM
    • 526Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Former MSE Paloma
    MSE News: Tesco to refund customers after ditching kitchen business
    • 12th Nov 14, 12:10 PM
    MSE News: Tesco to refund customers after ditching kitchen business 12th Nov 14 at 12:10 PM
    Tesco says customers won't lose out after it pulled out of its kitchen and bathroom fitting service - Mark Two ...

Read the full story:

Tesco to refund customers after ditching kitchen business

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • cifpower
    • By cifpower 12th Nov 14, 12:16 PM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 4,093 Thanks
    cifpower
    • 12th Nov 14, 12:16 PM
    • 12th Nov 14, 12:16 PM
    This is part of the reason why Tesco is in a slump. They should be focusing on their core business rather than branching out into kitchens. Did they think they could take on B&Q or something?

• Credit-Crunched
    • By Credit-Crunched 12th Nov 14, 12:22 PM
    • 2,107 Posts
    • 4,138 Thanks
    Credit-Crunched
    • 12th Nov 14, 12:22 PM
    • 12th Nov 14, 12:22 PM
    A wise decision, I have a quote from Tesco and it was literally 4 times the price of B&Q and 6 times that of Howdens!
    • Furts
    • By Furts 12th Nov 14, 12:25 PM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,889 Thanks
    Furts
    • 12th Nov 14, 12:25 PM
    • 12th Nov 14, 12:25 PM
    This is part of the reason why Tesco is in a slump. They should be focusing on their core business rather than branching out into kitchens. Did they think they could take on B&Q or something?
    Originally posted by cifpower
    I second this, but will also add that customers who placed orders with Tesco should stand back and ask a fundamental question. It is common sense not to walk into the local Co Op and ask "May I buy a fitted kitchen please?" So why had they gone into Tesco and done this?

Further, why did Tesco think that their expertise in selling cans of Heinz soup mean that they were qualified to supply and fit kitchens?

This is a sorry tale where both the retailer and the consumer much share equal responsibility.
  • Money-Saving-King
    • 12th Nov 14, 2:07 PM
    • 12th Nov 14, 2:07 PM
    Further, why did Tesco think that their expertise in selling cans of Heinz soup mean that they were qualified to supply and fit kitchens?
    Originally posted by Furts
    It depends who they employed to run that part. I very much doubt the people who knew about Heinz soup!

They have banking and mobile phone business's that are still doing fine so just because they started off with a Supermarket chain doesn't mean other things can't work if the right planning goes into it.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Nov 14, 2:45 PM
    • 40,231 Posts
    • 309,722 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 12th Nov 14, 2:45 PM
    • 12th Nov 14, 2:45 PM
    The only surprise is the length of time it has taken Tesco to get out given the catalog of complaints about the company doing the work.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 12th Nov 14, 2:47 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 12th Nov 14, 2:47 PM
    • 12th Nov 14, 2:47 PM
    Originally posted by cifpower
    No it isn't... This is effectively Tesco putting their brand on a kitchen fitter. It wouldn't have taken much effort at all to do, and it certainly would not have been done by the same teams responsible for the "core business".
    • Furts
    • By Furts 12th Nov 14, 3:10 PM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,889 Thanks
    Furts
    • 12th Nov 14, 3:10 PM
    • 12th Nov 14, 3:10 PM
    [QUOTE=callum9999;66969586]No it isn't... This is effectively Tesco putting their brand on a kitchen fitter. It wouldn't have taken much effort at all to do, /QUOTE]

Says it all really - "it would not have taken much effort" but Tesco could not be bothered to put in this effort. Either that or they screwed things up.

The reality is there is little brand value in Tesco, and what does exist is deteriorating by the week.

To refer to mobile phones is not comparing like with like. However, I work in the construction industry, I know a little bit about kitchens, and have a number of business phones on Tesco contracts. None of the phones worked for longer than ten months. Tesco were than tardy about sorting this. I issued them with some blunt ultimatums and they then sorted matters.

Perhaps the phone business will be the next to be exposed?
  • Money-Saving-King
    • 13th Nov 14, 8:36 AM
    • 13th Nov 14, 8:36 AM
    The reality is there is little brand value in Tesco, and what does exist is deteriorating by the week.
    But how's that different from the other big 4, it's not. Sainsbury's & Morrison's in particular also suffering mainly to the Aldi & Lidl competition. I can't see Tesco's going anywhere.
    • satchmo1
    • By satchmo1 13th Nov 14, 9:32 AM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 12,348 Thanks
    satchmo1
    We had a kitchen and bathroom fitted by Mark Two, and are still waiting for one replacement door which was marked (it's in situ until a new one's in stock). We've held back £1k from the payment.

My question is what is the position for their "lifetime guarantee". Is it the lifetime of the partnership with Tesco, the lifetime of Mark Two, or my lifetime (which I expect/hope to be a long time)
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
    • adamg
    • By adamg 13th Nov 14, 12:26 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    adamg

Im sure Sir Richard asked himself the same question when he went from selling vinyl at the local market to setting up a train firm, a media company etc etc
    Hi, weíve had to remove your signature. If youíre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youíre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • Furts
    • By Furts 13th Nov 14, 2:17 PM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,889 Thanks
    Furts
    Im sure Sir Richard asked himself the same question when he went from selling vinyl at the local market to setting up a train firm, a media company etc etc
    Originally posted by adamg
    But this is not all it seems - the Virgin brand is sold on, franchised out etc.

Sir Richard gets remembered for the success which may have been nothing to do with him. Indeed, not even his company.

Remember Virgin Cola went somewhere - I do not recall the details.

How many remember Virgin Homes - the new build housing company? The answer is not many and it has been swept under the carpet. Another failure that is forgotten, except by those like me who used to work with them.

But back to Tesco - had they restricted themselves to selling kitchen units it might have worked. Getting involved with the hassles that go with the installation was their downfall. This expertise is not required with selling Heinz soup - Tesco do not have any further contact with the soup after selling it.

• Money-Saving-King
    Tesco do not have any further contact with the soup after selling it.

They sell hundreds of goods at Tesco Direct that might require attention under various consumer acts after selling and that side of the business seems to be doing fine.
    • sniggings
    • By sniggings 13th Nov 14, 10:29 PM
    • 5,104 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    sniggings
    I second this, but will also add that customers who placed orders with Tesco should stand back and ask a fundamental question. It is common sense not to walk into the local Co Op and ask "May I buy a fitted kitchen please?" So why had they gone into Tesco and done this?

This is a sorry tale where both the retailer and the consumer much share equal responsibility.
    I bet Richard Branson is glad he didn't follow this advice, he would have never gotten into Virgin Money,Virgin trains, Virgin Wine , Virgin Holidays etc etc etc

No reason whatsoever why a business the size of Tesco can not get into any business they wish, they buy in the right people, it's not hard...the real reason they are pulling out will be a bit more complex than they "don't know how to fit kitchens".

• Ken68
    • By Ken68 14th Nov 14, 5:29 AM
    • 6,497 Posts
    • 4,139 Thanks
    Ken68
    Maybe the ditching of Mark Two is something to do with Tesco recent "forward payments" black hole.
    • ryder72
    • By ryder72 14th Nov 14, 6:54 AM
    • 997 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    ryder72
    Tesco allowed Mark Two kitchens to use their brand but had nothing to do with the offering itself. All issues including customer service was left to Mark Two. Why they did it is beyond me.

It also defies logic why anyone would think Tesco would be a good please to buy a kitchen or bathroom from.
    Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 14th Nov 14, 8:34 AM
    • 2,006 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    nickcc
    We also had a quote from Tesco Kitchens. The rep ( ex Moben) worked out the price to just over £10,000 excluding fitting whilst B&Q and Wickes quoted just under £5,000, all three quotes were for the premium range. We chose Wickes over B&Q as the Wickes back panels were far sturdier and not just hardboard.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 14th Nov 14, 3:07 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    poppellerant
    I know REMOVED will be able to take the Tesco quotes and supply a kitchen of the same spec for a much better price as well.
    Originally posted by Ramona123
    Perhaps they supply spam too?
    • cddc
    • By cddc 14th Nov 14, 7:24 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    cddc
    It also defies logic why anyone would think Tesco would be a good please to buy a kitchen or bathroom from.
    Originally posted by ryder72
    Clubcard points probably...... Mark 2 also offered the same kitchens under their own brand name. I remember having an argument on here with one fool who had quotes from both and paid more for the Tesco's one because he got Clubcard points

Mark Two's customer service was always its weak point. There were a few good people there but mostly you were left dealing with a disinterested voice who gave you the impression they could not care less. Not surprised Tesco's pulled the plug on it.
    • CKdesigner
    • By CKdesigner 15th Nov 14, 7:41 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    CKdesigner
    From the very first day it was announced that Tesco were going into kitchens with Mark Two I knew it could only end one way. I really don't think it was Tesco's intention to get into the kitchen industry. I'm sure it must have been that Mark Two approached Tesco with the concept and Tesco saw it as a way of getting a big commission cheque at the end of every month, without having to do any work! All they had to do was let another company use their brand name - what could possibly go wrong!!!

Massive corporate greed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

935Posts Today

5,760Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin