PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendors who don't seem to want to sell their places!

Options

Comments

• Cyberman60
    Cyberman60 Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    DRP wrote: »
    always seems to be an early warning sign when vendors won't give keys to their EA...

had several strange experiences with those types!

Having heard recently of EA's stealing a laptop and other things from a couple of vendors, I don't think I'd be in a hurry to hand over my keys either. :mad:
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't yet sold a house but I don't think I would hand over keys to the EA because of the dog 1) because they might let him out and 2) because I don't know how he would react to strangers arriving unaccompanied by me.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • Timeflies
    Timeflies Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some vendors just seem like hard work. We put an offer in on a house last week. We knew the previous buyers they had accepted an offer from had been waiting 8 months for them to find a place before giving up in April and finding something else. They put the house back on the market, at a higher price.

We offered 95% of asking price, which was turned down. The agent told us they'd also turned down an offer of 99% of asking price.:eek:

They were only offering viewings on one & a half days a week.

Then we found out they still hadn't found anywhere to move to, after a year of looking.

Something tells me they won't be moving anytime soon!
  • Mrs_Imp
    Mrs_Imp Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Options
    We had one vendor cancel the viewing because they were having wardrobes and carpets fitted and the house 'would be a mess'. Who fits wardrobes and carpets to a house they're selling?!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mrs_Imp wrote: »
    . Who fits wardrobes and carpets to a house they're selling?!

Probably someone who thought they were raising the saleability of a place that wasn't shifting. After all, people really exist, who think that sticking fake stones to the outside of a property, or painting it bright green, improves its looks!

Reluctance to sell may be perfectly logical if the vendors feel they are taking a large risk. For some, relocating away from friends and family will be a huge and scary adventure, and it might well turn out to be an ill-advised choice too.

Family breakdown powers many sales. We 'lost' our first property due to the vendors choosing Relate, rather than sell off the smallholding that viewers had been so enthusiastic about. Marketing a long-standing family home concentrates the mind like nothing else.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Can I share why I wanted to do viewings of the house I was selling, and not leave it to EA?
    The house is 110 years old, had only 3 families in during that time, all personally known to us.
    I felt I was handing over something special, and wanted to convey that. I had 3 photos that I put out - 1 of each family, to show buyers. I do think it put me in the "slightly mad" category, but it made me feel better!
  • bristol_pilot
    Options
    Sometimes the owner has an expanding family and is unsure whether to sell and buy a bigger place or to extend the existing property. So they put it on the market at a silly price and refuse to budge, in the hope that someone will fall in love with the property and pay too much. If they don't manage to attract such a buyer it is withdrawn from the market and the next thing you know the scaffolding is up and the building work starts.
  • Loopy28
    Loopy28 Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    I feel I may become a victim to one of these vendors...

Agreed price to purchase house but this is subject to vendor finding a property. EA told me due to personal problems the vendor can't currently look at properties and that there isn't much on the market suitable for him.

Not sure how motivated he is but I am keeping my eye out for other houses...
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Funnily enough we had a related situation this morning... went to an 'open day' at one house, turned out every room except the kitchen/diner was let to different people, they were all in, one was asleep and none of them looked as though they expected anyone to be coming to see the place! Some were distinctly displeased, and who can blame them?

After 3 rooms we gave up and told the agent it was no use trying to sell that way.

And even if they were all out for the viewings, or happy to let people in, who's going to buy a place where you might have to wait for 7 separate evictions?!
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    The house I've just bought was a divorcing family. EA told us about it in November, got us a viewing in January. We duly got a buyer for our house and offered, but they said they wanted more then the asking price we were told. They also then said they were not ready to sell and they would market it in Spring. We offered what they said they wanted in the Spring, but they said they wanted even more.

Then came the massive spring price-rise.

Waited (while looking at other things of course) and finally it came on in July. For a price 20% higher than when we viewed it in January. It then went to sealed bids and we offered as much as we possibly could and more. And we got it.

Unbelievably, we still kept the same buyer we got in January. And they never came even back for a second viewing!

Then the vendor was so blunt and unhelpful in his answers to standard enquiries it was so frustrating. They refused to provide any certificates for any work done, made no effort whatsoever, just expected us to get on with it. Which we did. We sort of took a risk, but in our case it was worth it and we moved in 3 weeks ago.

So 11 months after the agent first told us about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport