🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cancelled flight but Opodo won't refund

Options
I am due to be flying to Munich this weekend, via Paris.

Air France have contacted me saying the outbound leg is cancelled.

I called Opodo (who i booked it through) and they have said there is no alternative flight available. A massive pain and I have already seperately booked a hotel that I can't get refunded on.

For the flights all Opodo can offer me a one-year voucher.

I would like a refund, not a voucher. Air France cancelled the flight, not me so I know I am entitled to a refund, but all Opodo is saying is that Air France are only offering vouchers so there is nothing else they can do.

In this case what can I do? Who is liable for the refund? Opodo or Air France.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,563 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Air France will issue refund to Opodo and Opodo should refund you
    Book direct with airline next time....much better in instances like this
    Opodo (eDreams) gets terrible reviews and is one to steer clear of
  • dominoman
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Air France will issue refund to Opodo and Opodo should refund you
    Book direct with airline next time....much better in instances like this
    Opodo (eDreams) gets terrible reviews and is one to steer clear of

Yes - They keep trying to fob me off by saying Air France policy is to issue vouchers only so there is nothing they can do.

How do I pursue this with Opodo? I don't want a voucher for Air France - who I've never flown on before and with any luck never will again. I want a full cash refund, which I should be entitled to
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you access the online booking on the AF website ? If so is there an option for 'claim refund' ?

I was affected last week and could access this despite ticket being booked by company travel provider - in the end they processed refund for me but could take a few weeks for money to hit account
  • dominoman
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    Can you access the online booking on the AF website ? If so is there an option for 'claim refund' ?

I was affected last week and could access this despite ticket being booked by company travel provider - in the end they processed refund for me but could take a few weeks for money to hit account

Unfortunately that option isn't there on mine. It just says contact your travel agent.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    You can try to get your card-provider involved. If they won't you'll just have to keep pestering Opodo. Good luck, they're one of the worst 3rd party booking sites out there.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask Air France to re-route you... that is normal practice. (Airlines often put their passengers on planes belonging to other airlines when this happens.)

Failing that, you may have rights to compensation (depending on how much notice they gave you): read the appropriate section of this website for details.

Worst case: ask your card provider to charge back the funds used to pay for your ticket (since the service for which you paid is not being provided). However, I would check out the chance of re-routing before going down this track.
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Problem is that the OP will likely to be told to sort out re-routing through Opodo as well.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Problem is that the OP will likely to be told to sort out re-routing through Opodo as well.

It's the operating air carrier's responsibility, nothing to do with the agent.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • jpsartre
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    It's the operating air carrier's responsibility, nothing to do with the agent.

It's AF's responsibility but it has to be done through the agent. AF has no control of the booking since it was done through a 3rd party.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    It's AF's responsibility but it has to be done through the agent. AF has no control of the booking since it was done through a 3rd party.

Regardless of strict legal liability, a reputable airline would at least look at ways to reroute a passenger in this situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport