Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • redux
    • By redux 3rd Apr 14, 4:28 PM
    • 20,098 Posts
    • 28,208 Thanks
    redux
    • 3rd Apr 14, 4:28 PM
    • 3rd Apr 14, 4:28 PM
    "Travellers could soon be able to use their mobile phone in the EU without the fear of extortionate bills"
    Originally posted by MSE Michael
    That's a rather hyperbolic choice of word isn't it?

There have been regulations progressively introduced for a number of years, and it was already almost impossible to be faced with an extortionate bill for roaming in the EU.

The cost of data roaming was already capped against bill shock, unless people voluntarily opted out, and call charges have been decreased several times.

It is certainly good that at last roaming fees will be phased out, but there is no need for MSE's headline to feature the word extortionate being applied to the current situation of incoming calls costing 7 pence a minute etc and being about to decrease again before this regulation happens in December next year

And here was the pre-existing discussion started by a forum member.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4938324

Maybe the threads could be merged.
    Last edited by redux; 03-04-2014 at 4:33 PM.
    • redux
    • By redux 3rd Apr 14, 4:47 PM
    • 20,098 Posts
    • 28,208 Thanks
    redux
    • 3rd Apr 14, 4:47 PM
    • 3rd Apr 14, 4:47 PM
    p.s. yet again an MSE writer has forgotten to add the effect of VAT in the maximum charges allowed at the moment

I've sent PMs about this before, but those times they couldn't even be bothered to reply and say thank you.
    • m5rcc
    • By m5rcc 3rd Apr 14, 4:57 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    m5rcc
    • 3rd Apr 14, 4:57 PM
    • 3rd Apr 14, 4:57 PM
    Indeed. One is capped at 50 but it's still too much for EU data. I recall the days of my 15/month unlimited worldwide data tariff...
    • Gillor
    • By Gillor 3rd Apr 14, 5:03 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    Gillor
    • 3rd Apr 14, 5:03 PM
    • 3rd Apr 14, 5:03 PM
    I am slightly confused (not difficult at my age). To quote from MSE's Official news article:

"The EU has legislated before to lower roaming costs and there are currently caps in place, which prevent consumers being charged more than the following prices while outside of their home country:

Outgoing calls: 0.24/min (20p)
    Incoming calls: 0.07/min (6p)
    Texts: 0.08/text (7p) "

So how come Orange and T-mobile are currently charging 24.5p, 7.1p and 8.1p while 3 Mobile are charging 24.5p, 7.1p and 7.8p?
    • m5rcc
    • By m5rcc 3rd Apr 14, 5:05 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    m5rcc
    • 3rd Apr 14, 5:05 PM
    • 3rd Apr 14, 5:05 PM
    I am slightly confused (not difficult at my age). To quote from MSE's Official news article:

"The EU has legislated before to lower roaming costs and there are currently caps in place, which prevent consumers being charged more than the following prices while outside of their home country:

Outgoing calls: €0.24/min (20p)
    Incoming calls: €0.07/min (6p)
    Texts: €0.08/text (7p) "

So how come Orange and T-mobile are currently charging 24.5p, 7.1p and 8.1p while 3 Mobile are charging 24.5p, 7.1p and 7.8p?
    Originally posted by Gillor
    You did not add VAT at 20% nor account for EURGBP flucations
    • Gillor
    • By Gillor 3rd Apr 14, 5:07 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    Gillor
    • 3rd Apr 14, 5:07 PM
    • 3rd Apr 14, 5:07 PM
    Hi Redux, our posts have crossed but it seems you have answered my question.
    • redux
    • By redux 3rd Apr 14, 5:37 PM
    • 20,098 Posts
    • 28,208 Thanks
    redux
    • 3rd Apr 14, 5:37 PM
    • 3rd Apr 14, 5:37 PM
    Indeed. One is capped at €50 but it's still too much for EU data. I recall the days of my 15/month unlimited worldwide data tariff...
    Originally posted by m5rcc
    Yes, but maybe it doesn't quite warrant the scare-mongering headline extortionate, which is more like an alarmist hark back to the days of hundreds or thousands

And even well before this comes in there are cheaper options, like 100 MB data roaming a day for 1 euro, or calls home from several countries at 3 pence a minute.

Rates will drop this July to about 19 p/min outgoing, possibly either 5p/min or free incoming*, texts 5 or 6p, data about 20p/MB (these rates including VAT)

* I've seen comments elsewhere that maybe incoming calls are going to be free ahead of next year's changes, this July according to a draft, but I haven't yet checked whether that definitely went through

- and for the moment MSE Michael's article doesn't tell us anything on that point. Maybe it could be expanded a little ...
    Last edited by redux; 03-04-2014 at 5:49 PM.
    • m5rcc
    • By m5rcc 3rd Apr 14, 5:39 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    m5rcc
    • 3rd Apr 14, 5:39 PM
    • 3rd Apr 14, 5:39 PM
    Yes, but maybe it doesn't quite warrant the scare-mongering headline extortionate, which is more like an alarmist hark back to the days of hundreds or thousands

And even well before this comes in there are cheaper options, like 100 MB data roaming a day for 1 euro, or calls home from several countries at 3 pence a minute.

Rates will drop this July to about 19 p/min outgoing, possibly 5p/min incoming*, texts 5 or 6p, data about 20p/MB (these rates including VAT)

* I've seen someone say elsewhere that maybe incoming calls are going to be free ahead of next year's changes, maybe this July, but I haven't checked through that yet
    Originally posted by redux
    Well some networks are ahead of the game like 3, but others are lagging behind and resorting to the bare minimum. Given that I need at least 1Gb/day whilst roaming, the 50 cap a billing month is the best I can do for now...
    • redux
    • By redux 3rd Apr 14, 5:56 PM
    • 20,098 Posts
    • 28,208 Thanks
    redux
    Well some networks are ahead of the game like 3, but others are lagging behind and resorting to the bare minimum. Given that I need at least 1Gb/day whilst roaming, the €50 cap a billing month is the best I can do for now...
    1 GB a day? You don't need to watch TV

Get local SIMs if you're in one place for a few days.

Or for short visits cut it to 100 MB a day and get an Orange Spain SIM, Go Europe add-on €1 a day. Maybe get more than one of these.

http://movil.orange.es/tarifas/desde-el-extranjero/go-europe/
    • m5rcc
    • By m5rcc 3rd Apr 14, 6:02 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    m5rcc
    1 GB a day? You don't need to watch TV

Get local SIMs if you're in one place for a few days.

Or for short visits cut it to 100 MB a day and get an Orange Spain SIM, Go Europe add-on 1 a day. Maybe get more than one of these.

http://movil.orange.es/tarifas/desde-el-extranjero/go-europe/
    I trade so need the data and usually am away 30-40 days at a time
    • digp
    • By digp 3rd Apr 14, 9:34 PM
    • 1,964 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    digp
    needs to have worldwide effect to stop the great con
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 3rd Apr 14, 10:11 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    I find it deeply annoying that some network PAYG charge more to send a text in the UK than when you are roaming in Europe.

I hope they don't remove the caps when they equalise the charges, or roaming would likely increase in price for PAYG customers.
  • V For Verminator
    Theoretically speaking, does this mean that networks in other countries might now be able to offer their tariffs to customers in the UK? I know the biggest e.g. Telefonica have already infiltrated but would these changes make it possible?
  • bigal-
    It's all well and good having cheap calls when abroad but I find it more than slightly annoying that international calls from the UK to Europe aren't included in this legislation.

Just seems bizarre that if I call Europe from the UK, Virgin Mobile will charge me 90ppm, but if I actually travel to Europe the same call would cost 24ppm.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 4th Apr 14, 9:31 AM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Roger1
    I trade so need the data and usually am away 30-40 days at a time
    Very true. A case in point: Switzerland.

Switzerland is not in the EU and UK operators should not be charging VAT on calls from Switzerland to the UK.

Such calls are treated differently on different networks. Some charge the 'European' rate, some charge the non-EU rate, some charge VAT, some don't. All very confusing if you are affected.
    • ECR
    • By ECR 5th Apr 14, 1:06 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ECR
    I think this is bad news for customers who use there mobiles primarily or exclusively in the UK. I think it is inevitable that UK call charges will go up to pay for reduced roaming charges.
    • redux
    • By redux 5th Apr 14, 1:38 PM
    • 20,098 Posts
    • 28,208 Thanks
    redux
    I think this is bad news for customers who use there mobiles primarily or exclusively in the UK. I think it is inevitable that UK call charges will go up to pay for reduced roaming charges.
    Originally posted by ECR
    That has been predicted a number of times over the years that roaming regulation has been implemented, but there is very little evidence of it having happened yet.

In fact bundles of minutes seem to be still heading towards including more and more for the same price.

By the way there have been regulatory drops in wholesale mobile termination fees, which were also wrongly predicted to push retail prices up.
    Last edited by redux; 05-04-2014 at 1:44 PM.
  • archived user
    The UK networks may reduce the retail price but their wholesale prices have decreased and usage is probably up so might not be such a big hit after all...

The networks often have overseas subsidiaries or partners:

Do you think Vodafone UK will be paying lots to use Vodafone Ireland? Your sim will be programmed to use them before other networks or even only those e.g. 3 UK only lets you roam onto 3 DK when in Denmark.

That has been predicted a number of times over the years that roaming regulation has been implemented, but there is very little evidence of it having happened yet.

In fact bundles of minutes seem to be still heading towards including more and more for the same price.

By the way there have been regulatory drops in wholesale mobile termination fees, which were also wrongly predicted to push retail prices up.
  • fridgeracer
    i don't care, i'm still voting UKIP
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

1,988Users online

Martin's Twitter