RCI timeshare missold

Options
Does anyone have any experience of getting out of a timeshare with RCI? We have contacted Credit Card Claims Limited but are wondering whether they are reputable.

Comments

• Leanne1812
    Leanne1812 Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jazzin wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience of getting out of a timeshare with RCI? We have contacted Credit Card Claims Limited but are wondering whether they are reputable.
    In our situation which wasn't with RCI but Westgate resorts in Florida we stopped paying the maintenance. We had a few debt collection letters from an American firm. After insisting we were not going to pay and were more than happy to let Westgate repossess they eventually sent a foreclosure ( repossession) letter. We signed, sent it back and have never heard another word.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Firstly, RCI do not sell timeshare, they are only an exchange company to which the property you have' invested' (a very loose use of the term)is affiliated. You need to consider who your contract is with, how long ago you bought it and what you can prove was 'misleading' about the words used in the sale.

You mention CC Claims Ltd. did they approach you or how did you hear of them? If they approached you, then almost certainly they are linked with the original company, how else would they know you want to get out of the contract? if that is the case, my strong advice would be to run to the hills and avoid like the plague.

If you think you might have a claim against your credit card company, then you certainly don't need a claims company to do it for you, write a polite letter to your card issuer explaining how you were mislead by the seller and claim a refund under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, cost to you, a stamp!
  • Jazzin
    Jazzin Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your help - much appreciated. I'm aware that RCI aren't exactly a timeshare company but thought that may be a generalisation to use that could attract some advice and opinion. We bought this in August 2011 and haven't yet been able to use it as we are confined to going away in school holidays, something that we raised at the time and were assured that it wouldn't be a problem. We also explained that we were a family of 6 and would need 2 bedrooms - again we were told that there were many apartments to choose from. The reality is different, we can't find anything to suit and haven't been able to use the points we have accrued.

We heard CC Claims advertising on the radio and approached them. My search of their company doesn't reveal anything much at all. Their wording of what it will cost us is rather vague other than they will require 25% of the cost and/or £1950 + VAT. That is what made me worried - we have already made a mistake with RCI in the first place and didn't want to make it even worse.

Having read section 75 of the CCA I wondered whether I could just ask for a refund but thought may be too simple. Thanks for you advice - having read about this extensively, I feel we may well have grounds for the product being missold.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    Missold means the product is not what was stated.

More than likely, you were "dazzled" at a presentation and signed up for a product that you simply just can't afford.
  • Jazzin
    Options
    No, we can't find anywhere big enough to sleep 6 people with 2 bedrooms in school holidays which is what we were told when we signed up. If we could, we would have used it.

I don't think the product was what it stated.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you find accomodation outside the school holidays ? If you can then any "misselling" claim is doomed unless you have proof that you were promised this at the time of sale.

I don't know of any timeshare that promises that accomodation WILL be available at set times.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It really depends what you bought. 'Old style' sales of timeshare were based on a specific week or weeks which remained the same each year and identifies what you are 'buying' one bedroom etc. It sounds to me as though you have been sold 'points' so not really timeshare at all. Please do not pay a penny more to try and get a refund.

Look at what documents you have, please identify the company or resort as there will be others who have the same issue, find evidence that you were mislead, evidence that you have tried and failed to book weeks that you were assured would be available.

Then write to the card issuer setting out your position and ask for a refund on the basis that the contract was entered into under false representations. Your bank will then contact the bank that the seller used and they will write to the company giving them 14 days to justify the contract. If they cannot, your bank will process a chargeback and the money will be re credited to your account. It all sounds so simple but I suspect it may not be, the timeshare company will deny having made any promises at all but, the bank may realise that you are the 100th similar complaint which will support your position, don't give in easily and for heavens sake don't pay another company any more money.
  • Jazzin
    Options
    Hi, you are quite right Alan we have 15,000 points which we were told would get us two good weeks in the Summer holidays. As I'm a teacher, we explained that this was the only time we could have two weeks holiday and were told that there would be no problem at all with this. We have all the paperwork and the name of the salesman.

Our contract is with Crown Resorts, Malaga. I have looked on the website and there is accommodation available but when it comes to actually booking, there is a technical hitch and it is no longer available. It is frustrating.

I will do a little more research and then write to my credit card issuer as you suggest.

If anyone else is in the same position, I would like to hear from you.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply Alan and Meer53.
  • shazlaz
    Options
    Hi we've been with RCI for nearly 10 years and many times have regretted it and many times are glad of it we have very mixed feelings about it, at present we are trying to claim back PPI but are not having much luck....
    Have you tried changing to the old style of a set week rather than points? or if yo have a favorite holiday destination in mind it will have some form of RCI rep contact the resort direct and se if yo can swap? Good luck
  • Jazzin
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I don't think there is an option of weeks rather than points but either way, we have paid nearly £4000 for something that isn't what it said it was.

I have sent a letter (based on the MSE template) to both RCI and my credit card company. I await a response. If anyone else is in the same position, it would be good to hear from you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure