PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing bread dough

Options
Can you freeze bread dough? Have searched the forum but it came up with nothing.

I have started making my own bread by hand. I only make 1 loaf at a time as it does not keep very long. I would prefer to make enough dough for several loafs. I know you can freeze the baked loaf but OH is not keen on this idea!!!! Says it is not the same when it defrosts.

Any ideas? Also, is it worth me getting a breadmaker? I don't find making the bread by hand any problem and as most breadmakers are quite large I am not sure I want one sitting on my worktop (sad I know but I am a bit of a tidiness freak).
The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep. Up to three months with no problems. :)

Edit: For best results, take it out of the bread machine after the first rise. When defrosting - allow to double in size. This is all easier if you break into bread roll amounts before freezing.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    I've frozen hand made pizza dough before, I make it, leave it to rise, knead again, roll out onto the round pizza tray spread with passata, sprinkle on the cheese then freeze in foil or cling film, when it's frozen I take the tray back out so I can use it again.

Then when I want to use it I take it out add the topping I want to use and a bit more cheese then I put it straight in the oven from frozen.

I do it this way because rolled out flat dough is easier to store in my small freezer.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure if this is the right place to post but....

Is it possible to freeze bread dough and / or pizza base dough?!?!

Home made bread is LOVELY but it p**ses me off a bit having to make the dough so if I can make a huge batch of bread dough and pizza bases at the same time and freeze it i'll save loads of time, effort and most of all, WASHING UP!!!! :D

M
  • lin473
    lin473 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    I have tried it , but it is never quite as good when it's been frozen.Doesn't rise so well I find,so makes heavier bread.Not impossible though!
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So would you think pizza base dough would be ok since that doesn't need to rise?!

M
  • lin473
    lin473 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    Yes , I have often frozen some dough to make pizzas.Works fine and very handy for a quick and inexpensive meal that everyone in the family will eat without a fuss!
  • Nelli_2
    Options
    You might like to try part cooking pizza dough before freezing and finishing it off after defrosting.
    It'll take up more room in the freezer, the bread at least, but I think you'll find the result is better and after topping it cooking time is reduced slightly.

Freezing kills off some of the yeast which generates the bubbles that make your bread light, hence the "heavy dough" quote earlier.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    OH tried freezing pizza dough once and vowed never again. Since getting the breadmaker he has become very particular about his Pizzas. In fact its got to the stage that he avoids pizza anywhere else.

After freezing the dough we also found that it made for a heavier pizza that didn't rise as much. OH didn't like it....and so he makes a fresh batch of dough every time. I've turned him into my very own pizza chef.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • Trishh_2
    Trishh_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can pizza dough be frozen twice? I made the dough, put it in the freezer. Took it out 2 days later, rolled it out, put topping on .... then no-one wanted pizza so I put it back in the freezer. Only afterwards did I think that perhaps I shouldn't have frozen it again. So now don't know if it would be safe to eat. Should I get it out of the freezer and bin it?

Thanks

Trish
    :beer:
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah, just eat it, I've re frozen loads of stuff and I'm still here!
    I haven't got one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport