PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    IBNB - thank you - I just needed a reminder that it IS that simple - as my self control over my purse dissapeared for a few months, I need it back.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Just popping on to update spends as had a Mr A delivery yesterday - now at £66.10 / £175.

Meal plan is as follows:
    • Sun – roast gammon with roasted carrot, onion and potato, and homemade apple sauce
    • Mon – sweetcorn fritters with spicy potato wedges, salad and yoghurt
    • Tues – vegetable fajitas
    • Wed – out for dinner to celebrate my sister’s graduation
    • Thurs – roasted veg arrabiata with salad
    • Fri – might be having dinner with friends; otherwise Spanish veg & bean stew
    • Sat – vegetarian sushi, miso soup and spicy king prawns

Had roast gammon with green beans, roasted carrot, onion & potato and HM apple sauce yesterday, and sliced up the rest of the gammon and froze for OH's sandwiches at lunch.

gammon_zpsb8221777.jpg

Then tonight made sweetcorn fritters for the first time, with (very) spicy wedges, salad and yoghurt - so tasty and OH loved them, so will make again.

29833291-EFCC-4201-B13C-905E13CA1F28-343-00000027092247D1_zps4619680d.jpg

I hardly ever eat potatoes so feels a bit strange to have them two nights in a row :rotfl: Made the wraps tonight for veggie fajitas tomorrow, which means a very quick to make dinner tomorrow, as we're redecorating and there's chores for me (:() and then after dinner I think I'm going climbing with a friend, so busy evening.

Thanks for the pic of the fritters. Always wanted to try them.

I'd it just regular batter and shallow fried?

Cheers.

I'm about to have skimmed milk on my cereal, yuck.

Ran out of whole milk again

:(
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • jumblejack
    Options
    I needmy raspberries to hurry up n ripen. Tea party is on Saturday and I resent having to purchase them when my garden is heaving with un ripe fruits :(
  • CountingPennies
    CountingPennies Posts: 1,893 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    £1 yesterday on some ice pops for my poorly throat. Would have been a no spend day if i didn't get them.... Oh well. Made me feel a little better :o
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    opps missed end of the month so have just totalled up june and declare £412.78 so over spent

going for £400 for july please

thank you to everyone who contributes to these threads and the people who keep them organised, my purse thank you as well as it would be so much skinnier with out you
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jumblejack - I used the recipe from CFR with a few modifications, so my take on it was:

1 small onion, chopped
    160g frozen sweetcorn
    50g SR flour
    2 tsp veg oil
    1 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    salt
    enough water to make a paste & to make everything stick together

Mix everything together in a bowl, feel free to vary the spices. I shallow fried in two batches, using a heaped tbsp of mix to make one fritter, so got 8 to share between the two of us. Double for more people.

Will add this to the index as well so have re-added the pic below lol.

29833291-EFCC-4201-B13C-905E13CA1F28-343-00000027092247D1_zps4619680d.jpg
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • sefilby
    sefilby Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    Mr T shop £13.26 & co*p trip yesterday £7.25

Meals
    PizzaFish & chipsHam & egg saladFaijitachicken pieBologneseSausage & chips

Not very imaginative but when the weather is warm we don't really fancy "cooked" meals
    Christmas budget £266.38/£535 15/27gifts
    Read a book a week challenge 50/52
  • SAVVYMUMMY_2
    SAVVYMUMMY_2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    It`s going to be another NSD today:j, I dug deep into the freezer and found some breaded fish, so will have that with wedges and peas for dinner tonight. Pack ups for tomorrow are sorted aswell. Might need to water the milk down a little as we`re running low, so this should last until tomorrow;).

We had our first strawberries from the garden yesterday, just a handful, but they were so tasty. I`m keeping a close eye on them though as some are getting nibbled and it`s not the kids:D.

I haven`t made a meal plan for this week though, as I want to see, what I can come up with from the cupboards.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • jumblejack
    edited 2 July 2013 at 12:11PM
    Options
    Yippee. Went to fill up the car and milk was reduced t 20p for 2 litres at the garage.

I got 8 bottles.

Was gonna stock up at farm foods as it works out at 22p a pint as opposed to 25p a pint at lidl or aldi.

This was way better though!

They also had anchor mature cheddar for £1 a block as short dated.
    I got all 7 packs. ��

That kind of impromptu bargain is up my street!!

Came home and made a quick pizza with sourdough base, passata that needed using up, cherry toms that were in need of using up and short dated cheese (and plenty of mixed herbs and garlic salt seasoning)
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    blimey finding it hard going at the moment...spent £50 in aldi and then £30 in farmfoods...i wont say what that went on but they are lurking in the freezer....cheaper than the icecream man i suppose

i am finding in aldi i am buying fruit/veg and it is costing a fortune..i am going to look into frozen veg to try and getting it down a bit

sorry bit negative today but onwards and upwards
    tess
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills