We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Debt free by Christmas 2013!!

Options

Comments

• postingalwaysposting
    Options
    The family loans are interest free. The larger one has an agreement that I will pay £100 a month minimum which I manage fine.

In that case as long as the min are payed then then 0% is very good.
    Both other accounts are with DCA so no interest being charged. I guess I will just need to make a decision on payday of how much goes where.

Ok thats better too, although I am guessing you now have default's on your credit report? Do you have a min payment towards these? What amount to your use to service your debt each month?

Maybe as a bit of a boost you could aim to clear the £100 family loan outstanding? Its a great incentive clearing the small debts but I hope you dont lose momentum when it comes to the larger amounts. Maybe you could break those down and chip away at smaller amounts instead of facing the huge final number?

Out of interest I can/t find a SOA posted by you. Would you consider posting one to see if we can help you cut down your outgoings and maybe overpay more debt?
    "When you start saving" hehe. Makes me feel funny, never thought I would hear that in a conversation to me.. How things can so quickly change

Everyone at sometime becomes money savvy, I think the lucky ones are the ones who are taught from their parents how to approch/deal with money. Some of us sadly have to learn the hard way. You will get to the point where you will be saving, it maynot be this year but you will and then you will never again have to rely on family/credit, execpt for a mortgage but thats a different type of debt.

Good luck!
  • timetogrowup89
    Options
    Ok thats better too, although I am guessing you now have default's on your credit report? Do you have a min payment towards these? What amount to your use to service your debt each month?

I pay £50 to each deafualted account, so £100 in total. Have been doing this for a year. I am also going to start making overpayments to these starting this month.

Maybe as a bit of a boost you could aim to clear the £100 family loan outstanding?

This is a 0% buy now pay later thing that doesn't need cleared until August, so will definately clear it by then..

Out of interest I can/t find a SOA posted by you. Would you consider posting one to see if we can help you cut down your outgoings and maybe overpay more debt?

I havent done one online. I think it would be quite difficult to complete as my income is reliant on overtime so I never know how much I am going to get paid each month. Would I still be useful to do one? I do one each month when I get paid to figure out the nexts months spending (or at least I have for the past 2 months)
    I think the lucky ones are the ones who are taught from their parents how to approch/deal with money. Some of us sadly have to learn the hard way.

If I have kids I think I will be making them well aware of how easy it is to be silly. Especially when your a student!

Hope quotes work properly..

Thanks for all the above :D
    March 2013 LBM so here goes....PAID OFF £6944! Unfortunately have built it all back up again! Amounts to be added up soon! Scare myself into action! 30/05/2018 LBM 2
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    I pay £50 to each deafualted account, so £100 in total. Have been doing this for a year. I am also going to start making overpayments to these starting this month.

So your min monthly payments are in purple? That £200 debt repayments, that a huge amount well done :j

Family loan - £3300 £100
    Family loan 2 - £100 £0
    Credit Card DCA - £1764 £50
    Overdraft DCA - £381 £50
    This is a 0% buy now pay later thing that doesn't need cleared until August, so will definately clear it by then..

So this isn't a loan in the sense of a cash loan? More of a purchase (like from a catalogue) which your family purchased on your behalf. Maybe it might be worth waiting to repay this one in full. However it can always be a back up if you want the satifaction of paying back a debt faster.

I havent done one online. I think it would be quite difficult to complete as my income is reliant on overtime so I never know how much I am going to get paid each month. Would I still be useful to do one? I do one each month when I get paid to figure out the nexts months spending (or at least I have for the past 2 months

So do you not have any set income? Ie do you not get £x for working 35 hours then overtime for the remainder? I think it would be useful to do a basic one. I work flexi shift/time but I have a budget/SOA up until Jan next year even if it is just I need X for rent X for phone, X for internet etc etc therefore I need to take home/save £X fo Oct/Nov etc. Also I have seen SOA on diarys/posts before and they have been overspending on so many things and with a litle imput and changes managed to bring there debt free date back 4 months. Image if we could help you become debt free on Oct not Dec?
    If I have kids I think I will be making them well aware of how easy it is to be silly. Especially when your a student!

:T At least another few members of the next generation can forgo what you are now going through. Although one would hope that financial eduaction would be in the national curriculum by then :D
  • timetogrowup89
    Options
    So your min monthly payments are in purple? That £200 debt repayments, that a huge amount well done :j
    I guess it is, haven't thought of it like that before.

So this isn't a loan in the sense of a cash loan?

Yeah, catalogue..
    So do you not have any set income? Ie do you not get £x for working 35 hours then overtime for the remainder?

Yeah, but its not enough to cover my debt payments, so rely on o/t for this.. Will set about getting one done tho

Although one would hope that financial eduaction would be in the national curriculum by then :D

Hopefully!!
    March 2013 LBM so here goes....PAID OFF £6944! Unfortunately have built it all back up again! Amounts to be added up soon! Scare myself into action! 30/05/2018 LBM 2
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,961 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great advice from the Papster.
    why dont you target the OD with the DCA next?
    Then that's another wee one away faily quickly?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • timetogrowup89
    Options
    Yeah think that is what i will do :-)
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    why dont you target the OD with the DCA next?

I agree with Beanie TTGU, plus once that one has gone you will have the min payment of £50 (that you used to service that debt with) in which to throw at the other three debts :j Just think this time next month you could be down to three debts, then if you clear the family one down to 2 debts by May! That would be amazing :D
  • timetogrowup89
    Options
    Two debts would be good. Im just looking for a soa link to complete one :-)
  • timetogrowup89
    Options
    Another overtime shift done today.. Can't wait to make extra payments x
  • amyc92
    amyc92 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    You sound like you have been doing very well :-)!!! I have subscribed!!!
    xx
    Car- £6990.50
    Overdraft- £400
    Holiday:
    08/06/15Flight- £201
    03/08/15Remaining-£260
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing