Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2013

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the:
    February 2013 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of 600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at 15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at 280 per month and brought it down to 240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to 260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out 20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for X off a spend of XX - if you had no NEED to spend XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. MrM is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a breadmaker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obvioulsy if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better healthwise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy 7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 #6 #7 #8 & #9 on this thread (the list is growing!!!!!)

For everyones totals, see post #10 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 20-02-2013 at 7:57 AM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 42
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 18th Mar 13, 8:27 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Monday.
    Big spend of 10.89 today - Mr F went shopping!
    Still we needed toilet rolls and have enough Glucosamine now for 2 months!
    For dinner we had cottage pie with carrot, leeks, asparagus, onions, swede and gravy.
    Flipping new Photobucket - I can't work out how to resize !

15 in 2015 1/15
  • Verityemilia
    Totally lost the budget - last two weeks - no real grocery shops and not tracked my budget - I know I'm within it - just been using stuff up though, so that I can defrost the freezer and start a fresh in Aprils challenge with fresh store cupboard stuff and freezer stuff

This weeks target 50

Will keep track this week

For arguments sake I will say 100/200 spent budget so far
    Seal pot challenge no 7- # 331 Saved 140 SPC - Target 30
    Grocery challenge - 100 a week
    Weekly Spend Challenge - 40
    • Tales17
    • By Tales17 18th Mar 13, 9:26 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    Tales17
    Checking in again as I forgot to say last week my partner bought a large pork and beef joint half price from Mr T, chopped it up to give us 2 roasting joints and then did 3 big bags of mixed mince! Quite impressed with how much came out of them, he went back and bought the same and did it again the next day!! Our new freezer is filling up nicely!!

Came back from our family visiting today, and bread maker is out, plugged in and set up to give us a lovely fresh loaf in the morning!! Off to bed now and looking forward to the smell in the morning!!!!
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-820.46/7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - 93.10/600(16%)
    12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts 500, Cashback & Competition Sites 2.59, Shopping Saving 152.09,Selling 121.26, Interest & Dividends 43.93, Surveys 0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # 103.44
    Total Saved - 923.31/12000(8%)
    • Downsizing _for_sanity
    • By Downsizing _for_sanity 19th Mar 13, 12:22 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    Downsizing _for_sanity
    Re: nappies: it is a toss up I suppose which kind saves you money or time, depends on what is best for your family. I have used reusables with my 2nd baby, and oh how much you save. I have fairly basic fleece/PUL nappies I bought from a friend, with some also free from the local Real Nappy Project. The benefits of these are that they are practically dry as soon as you take them out of the machine, as they are partly microfiber. We also have some really stylish ones ( bought 2nd or 3rd or maybe 4th hand!) which apparently cost up to 40 brand new. (Seriously - for a nappy?) Gorgeous if say they were at a wedding or something in a dress that it showed the nappy. Needless to say I did NOT spend that much on them. My youngest is now nearly potty trained at 2yrs 5mths, and I think partly that is because she is used to how it feels when she is wet. We use the reusables at night now with just one booster. I still have pull ups in the house and have used them when for example we have all been ill with D&V - not nice to have yucky nappies hanging around. You can often get the reusables from the Real Nappy Project locally for free, and I would recommend them as even if you don't fancy using them during the day, it doesn't take much to stick them in the wash each day and only use them overnight or when you're at home anyway. Anyone who is interested, feel free to PM me for a chat or more info. Free is great! Ellie (DFS)
    Last edited by Downsizing _for_sanity; 19-03-2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Auto correct!
    • Smoosh
    • By Smoosh 19th Mar 13, 1:26 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 12,615 Thanks
    Smoosh
    Apple and blueberry porridge for breakfast, value tomato soup with cheese and value bread for lunch, free pizza from OH's work for dinner and chocolate (present for Easter from OH's family) and YS yoghurt as snacks

Did a little bit of shopping today as there were a couple of bits we needed, spent about 5. Got drinks (4 2 litre bottles), coconut milk, bread, energy drinks (3 cans) and eggs (6), so not bad. But also had to spend about 7 on razors for OH and I also found some really nice boots reduced to 5 from 22 so I got them too! Of course, not adding those to this budget though.

Will probably have more of the leftover pizza for breakfast/lunch tomorrow, not sure what I'll do for dinner.

Just over 20 left to last the month, determined to do this!
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 19th Mar 13, 5:25 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 20,252 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    Spent 29.35 yesterday at Mr M in our main shop for the week. Hopefully nothing else needed now until the end of the week to last us through the weekend.

KB xx

• NickJW
    • By NickJW 19th Mar 13, 7:27 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Hello all!

I've been AWOL for a while, because I've had a few days off as holiday - well time spent at home with day trips and either a nice lunch out and snacks, but saved a bit of money by eating dinner at home.

I allocated the amount of 'spending money' I usually have on holiday, but deducted a bit to take into account I've cooked at home. Due to this I've now got more money in my 'holiday allowance'

Also gained from money not spent on a hotel. This is new for me, because a holiday used to always mean going somewhere, but as long as I do different things than a usual week it still feels like a break...

Anyway...onto spends (and it's getting tight this month, because food is still scarce!)

Mr S on 13th March - 3.29 (on BOGOF mouthwash)
    M+S on 14th March - 1.55
    Mr T on 14th March - 3.20
    M+S on 16th March - 5
    M+S on 18th March - 8.81

= 21.85 in total

Hope everyone is well.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • becsxxx
    • By becsxxx 19th Mar 13, 9:05 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 15,903 Thanks
    becsxxx
    Any chance you can share the recipes for the belly pork and key lime pie pretty please???
    Originally posted by Nicky Noo Na
    Yes of course!

Slow cooked belly pork

I usually brine mine first, but the recipe doesn't require that.

1-1.2kg of belly pork - rub all over with salt, pepper and oil. Score the fat on the top and rub with more salt and oil.

Roughly smash a couple of garlic gloves (still in their skins) and put in the bottom of a roasting tin. Put the pork on top and add some sprigs of fresh thyme (I always freeze this and this works really well in this recipe). Add a splash of white wine to the bottom of the pan (could use a little stock if you don't want to use wine). Cover with foil.

Put in a preheated oven at 150 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, basting once or twice in that time. Then take the foil off and cook for another 1 1/2 hours - again, baste a couple of times.

Now you can either (a) shove the meat under the grill for 5-10 mins on as high as it will go to make the crackling crispy, rest and serve OR (b) (what I do as I love making this the day before so I can spend time with my guests) leave the meat to go cold then refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve heat the oven as high as it will possibly go, add a little more oil and salt to the meat fat and put pork in the oven for 20 mins (so crackling crisps again and it's piping hot - if crackling doesn't turn, you may wish to pop under grill). Rest, carve and serve!

The meat juices contribute to a delicious gravy (pour off the excess fat).

Succulent and just delicious. I served mine with potato dauphinoise, spicy red cabbage, peas, gravy and apple sauce - for a meal that felt very luxurious but in fact was pretty cheap.

No-bake key lime pie

Super easy and doesn't matter if your quantities are not exactly the same as mine below - it will be fine!

Crush approx 150g ginger nuts with 100g digestives. Mix with 100g melted butter and then press down in your dish (around 20cm) to form a cheesecake-type base (I like quite a thick base so adjust accordingly!). Chill in the fridge to set for at least 30 mins.

Mix together a large tin (just over 300g I think) of sweetened condensed milk and half a pint of double cream. Whisk a bit (do not worry, it won't particularly thicken up yet!).

Squeeze the juice from 5 limes and also grate the rind. Mix into your cream/milk mix, reserving a little bit of the rind. Whisk a bit and it should now thicken up quite well.

Cover the biscuit base with the mixture and allow to set in the fridge for at least a couple of hours (I like to leave it overnight). Add the lime rind you reserved to the top to decorate and serve.

Enjoy!
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 19th Mar 13, 9:29 AM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 29,765 Thanks
    tessie bear
    flo that sheps pie looks lovely...quite fancy making that myself and the key lime pie sounds very pleasant...thankyou for posting the recipe

i have made some scones with milk that was on the turn shall we say and i have made some rock buns to use in packups

tonight we are having quiche and ds 1 and 2 are having fishfingers for tea....roast chicken tomorrow and stew the day after so quite organised for a change

have a nice day tess
    onwards and upwards
    • lizalloareds
    • By lizalloareds 19th Mar 13, 9:32 AM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 17,414 Thanks
    lizalloareds
    Spends today
    2.18 Mr T
    50p Aldi

snowing again here!
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct 332.74/375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan 234.85/200 Feb 298.92/280March 298.42/280 April 270.49/280 May Gc 351.08/350 June 300.06/280 July 256.15/240
    Aug 318.74/280
    • Vickyh
    • By Vickyh 19th Mar 13, 10:07 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Vickyh
    well i have almost spent my budget!!

I have been cheeky though- i removed the birthday beer and wine from the budget as we don't actually drink that often- so it seemed silly to have 30 spent on booze- when it not an honest reflection of what we eat / buy. Food for the party however stayed, as we usually do have a someone round for dinner in the money (either parents or friends)

Casualties- some liver went in the bin- as i wasn't quick enough in cooking it- and as it was for the baby i wasn't going to risk it - rough cost 1.00

Carrots- again i forgot to take them out the plastic bag- they sweated and went all soft (it was disgusting) I was able to salvage some- carrot cupcakes and cottage pie so far- vegi burgers tomorrow.

I also have included nappies and wet wipes as it is part of my shop- but next month i think i will buy them for the whole month in one transaction. I also want to reduced the wet wipe usage and start using a flannel to wipe LO hands and face after food.

Also next month i will be trying a veg box- and planning my meals around that- i am fed up of having to buy cheap veg which goes off far too quickly and having little variety. I am also going to try eat less meat but buy better quality meat from our butchers- again fed up of cheap meat! Butchers i use to buy from offered a tray of meat for 10 and this would last us for a good 10 meals over a month! (though once OH bought a tray only consisting only of Chinese flavoured meat so i had to buy another to give us some variety!)

So hopefully a better out come next month!
    Getting expensive just to survive!

Comp wins August 300 of TKmaxx vouchers
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 19th Mar 13, 11:12 AM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 34,469 Thanks
    XSpender
    Hello Ladies and Gents

I have been unhappy with the amount we have spent this last month and have decided a drastic re think is required. As our financial situation has improved I have let our budgeting in this area slip and this month it has got out of hand. We will have spent almost 600 on food, toiletries, laundry, dog food, cleaning stuff and alcohol for 2 adults, an almost 3 year old that only has snacks during the week and meals at a weekend at home and a small terrier. The alcohol’s not for the 3 year old! We are trying to eat SW extra easy and are finding that this is bumping our costs up a bit but not enough to warrant the overspend.

I have been reading the OS and MFW threads and have picked up a different approach to batch cooking/meal planning that I think will work better for us and have borrowed Economy Gastronomy from the library. Food for thought rather than actual recipes from this.

Sunday DH fancied soup after swimming so I rustled up a pan of leek and potato and some sunshine scones in about half an hour and then made crumble, mini quiche, coq au vin and buns for DS. I also made and part baked 2 large veg lasagnes for Monday night’s tea and the freezer. This used up a lot of stuff about to go off in the fridge.

DH turned his nose up at the lasagne last night so that will be 2 for the freezer now

My plans for April (starts Friday for us) are:
    • List the contents of the larder cupboard and the 2 upright freezers and keep the list up to date (1 freezer done so far and used up mushrooms, red wine and other bits that had been in there for ages)
    • Meal plan in detail for 6 weeks at a time
    • Don’t shop when I am hungry and stick to the list!
    • Any batch cooked meals are to be consumed within that 6 week period. Any longer and I don’t fancy them
    • Use the slow cooker Monday and Thursday when MIL can put it on for me
    • Max 1 shop a week plus 1 fruit top up shop
    • Make cakes and snacks, don’t buy, as lots of baking stuff in
    • One omelette/jacket pot meal a week and one 'summat oot the freezer' night
    • One soup and pudding night per fortnight (with nice bread) as I am not sure if DH will like this even though he said he would at the weekend
    • Check the contents of the fridge every couple of days to ensure everything is used up (waste isn’t too much of a problem really)
    • Split my spend into categories so I can see where we spend our money. I think alcohol is a big chunk as we like decent wine on a weekend.
    Sorry for the long post.

Any other hints and tips gratefully received.
    Last edited by XSpender; 19-03-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo
  • Verityemilia
    Popped to l**l today for some bits

Spent 8.15 / 50
    Seal pot challenge no 7- # 331 Saved 140 SPC - Target 30
    Grocery challenge - 100 a week
    Weekly Spend Challenge - 40
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 19th Mar 13, 11:54 AM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Well for once I am quite happy to report spends of 8.41 as it means I have actually felt well enough to venture out to the shops. Brought some fruit, a Sharw00ds curry sauce on offer at 1 and some bread.

I noticed that Morri$ons had one or two good offers on so will be in at the weekend to have a better look around. There was red salmon at 1.99 for 213g half price, Kn0rr gravy granules 500g for 1.55 and a few others that cant remember now.

Small amount of LO cottage pie for lunch today and curry for tea. Have small piece of belly pork out for tomorrow.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 19th Mar 13, 12:37 PM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 29,765 Thanks
    tessie bear
    x-spender how do you shop...once a week /month or online ? perhaps smaller more focused shops would help...u could use uo stocks for a month and have a think about the approach/approaches that suit you all best
    i think if you want to spend less then you have to do just that....dont buy so much/dont go so often....what has made the shop creep up ? are u buying more or is it price rises in general ?

i have found i have spent a fair bit more in march than jan and feb but i put that down to the fact we spent jan/feb using up stocks...perhaps a yearly budget would allow u more flexibility...cant think of owt else apart from locking your purse away which would be effective but not that practical

hth tess and let us know how u go on
    onwards and upwards
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 19th Mar 13, 12:56 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

19.88 spent last night at T's - only went in for rolls and ham Got some of the new Carte-D0r icecream, on offer 1.84 for one or 2 for 5 - quite how that is a deal I don't know. Just got the one

SC is on with SW chinese pork from the index - smells yum. We will have it with stir fry veggies - no noodles or rice - trying to eat better.

DD's school shoes fell apart yesterday (literally) so will need to go straight from school to get new ones. Will park in M's opposite so will check for whoopsies on the way home, as they usually have good bakery and veg offers.

Off to update sig. Have a good day everyone.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • GreenFairy
    • By GreenFairy 19th Mar 13, 12:59 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    GreenFairy
    €9.50 spent yesterday. Salad, DF baking fat, big jar of gherkins, multipack of matches and a box of little DF chocolate squares (2 with packed lunch each day to remove temptation of buying a full size bar!).

Had baked bbq tofu wraps with HM refried beans and salad last night. Still have half the block of tofu left, so will probs have that as satay with broccolli on Wed night as hubs is not a fan of it two nights in a row. Need to go for a rummage through the press and fridge to decide what we'll be having tonight. Would like to make something a little fancy as DH started his new job today and I feel we deserve a mse-style celebration
    Feb GC 253.11/400
    Jan GC 203.37/400
  • sheeppappar
    Erk went to sainsbury's last night for a few things and came out 8 lighter oops.
    I cost myself by trying to be MSE! Had a roast chicken carcass to make stock with but no veg to go in with it, literally nothing. So I bought carrots and leeks and garlic .. got value bags though and the rest will get used eventually . Dog biscuits + Porridge and no idea what else made up the rest of the money :-S
    Still on target though! xx
    CC1 7,944.10
    CC2 2,680.03
    CC3 1,020.88
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 19th Mar 13, 1:33 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    afternoon all

managed 2 NSDs and today should be another one

had jacket pot with cheese and beans for dinner as tonights tea will only be a snack as me and DH are both out till later on will feed kids earlier
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 19th Mar 13, 5:21 PM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 18,219 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    NSD at last. Had Tesco meat free meatballs with ariabatta sauce and spaghetti for tea. Would not recommend the meatballs, they were rank. Much rather have the Quorn ones; otherwise a nice tea. Stuck to meal plan
    GC 2017 3,434.09 GC 2018 2,250.95 GC 2019 Jan 268.24/200 Feb 158.01/200 Mar 220.05/200 April (moving) May (adjusting 270.73), Jun 200.99/280
    ~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,548Posts Today

7,878Users online

Martin's Twitter