PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All the bullying stories make me so mad, why are schools so poorly equipped to deal with it.

OH is off to the dentist this morning meaning he will miss Christmas lunch at DS8 school so am dragging DD18 with me instead:)

We have managed to get most of the decorations all up and plan on finishing tonight, then tomorrow we can blitz the place and tidy back up as the whole house being a mess depresses me.
    Have also pulled all the presents out of various hiding places and have discovered two things, first OH has hidden some and now cant find them and second I have miscalculated and DD6 has alot less than the others so will need a catch up this week.

I had to go into DD6 school today to complain which I feel awful about as I know they are having difficulties with a couple of kids at the moment and are being innudated with parents complaining. But I found a letter in DD bag announcing a new biometric lunch system involving taking fingerprints and then being scanned each day to buy lunch - there was no mention of an opt out clause and I am not comfortable with her fingerprints being used.

Besides which I sort of feel that this is just adding a load of hassle into a previously simple system - currently the kids line up get their dinner, eat and leave, the new system means that before they can get their dinner they will need to scan their fingerprint in. Its anyones guess how much this system costs to run, with the machines and then the data processing - I am assuming we will see the prices rise accordingly.
    The world has gone mad.

If Fuddle is reading - my biggest tip for moving with kids is to have a bag of bedding for each kid kept seperately so that you have access to bedding for someone to make up a bed each on the first night - having learnt the hard way what happens if you dont!! Good luck hope the move goes well.

It is thick ice here today but beautiful too, IYSWIM.
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    We woke up to a layer of snow this morning , frosty and very cold with it, but we do have sun, its too cold in the shade to melt the snow.........:eek:But ive put my sheets and duvets on the line which is in the sun...:)

I do / did enjoy this thread a lot, and I hope people keep posting, but I do notice in the last few weeks since the "thank you " button flare up , that a lot of the regulars have gone and no longer post on here because of it ..........I miss you all and its such a shame ......................

I looked back quite a few pages and notice that the thanks button for all posters was up to 30 thanks ,before the "thanks post issue" , now its only about 10 thanks, so its definately caused problems between posters............And the thread isnt the same now that weve lost a lot of regulars..........I miss all the friendly chat..........

Im waiting for a parcel to come, so I must stay in the house, cos they soon stick a card through the door and if your not in it goes back to main post office which is 23 miles away,:eek:too far to go....

I wanted to go and do some more food shopping today as need some things for the store cupboard, but parcel comes first...........

Ive not put the tree up yet , and if I dont soon get in the mood for it, it will remain in the loft....:eek:, just cant get into it........Sheila....
  • SDG31000
    SDG31000 Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Possession They should keep ok in an airtight container as long as they are properly dried out. They also freeze really well, just dip them in chocolate after freezing not before, if you were planning to.

I had problems with the recipe I used as it was too wet and took much longer to cook than the recipe stated. I don't know if I just adapted it too much. I know it worked better last time I made it. This recipe for ones involving mincemeat works well.

Christmas Biscotti.

75g/3oz butter
    150g/6oz caster sugar
    1 large egg, beaten
    250g/9oz mincemeat
    1 tbsp brandy
    280g/10oz plain flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    50g/2oz walnuts, toasted and chopped

1- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 3/ 160C. Line two baking trays. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and then add the mincemeat and brandy.
    2- In a separate bowl combine the flour baking powder and walnuts. Add to the butter mixture and stir well.
    3- Remove the mix to a floured surface and divide into two. Form each half into a 30cm/12 inch long log.
    4- Transfer dough onto baking trays and bake for 25 minutes. Remove to wire racks, mark out thin slices and leave to cool slightly and then cut into thin slices. Lay on the baking sheets cut side up and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until fully cooked. (This depends in the thickness of the slices) Cool on wire racks.

Hope that helps xxx
  • 7_week_wonder
    Options
    SDG - you are a woman in demand today! First, thanks for mentioning the Hairy Bikers Florentines: you have just solved my dilemma about what to cook for our baking club this week. Can you remember roughly how far through the program the florentines were on? I'll watch the whole programme when I'm tucked up in bed this evening, but I'd like to have a quick look at the relevant bit before I start baking earlier on in the evening.

Thanks!
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    SDG - you are a woman in demand today! First, thanks for mentioning the Hairy Bikers Florentines: you have just solved my dilemma about what to cook for our baking club this week. Can you remember roughly how far through the program the florentines were on? I'll watch the whole programme when I'm tucked up in bed this evening, but I'd like to have a quick look at the relevant bit before I start baking earlier on in the evening.

Thanks!

From memory the florentines are about the last quarter of the program, its the last thing they cook, and its after they arrive at Alnwick castle, and I think its before they decorate the tree house.
    HTH
  • SDG31000
    SDG31000 Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    7 week wonder the recipe is at 50 minutes in. I've just checked thanks to the joys of V+ and iplayer :)
  • 7_week_wonder
    Options
    SDG31000 wrote: »
    7 week wonder the recipe is at 50 minutes in. I've just checked thanks to the joys of V+ and iplayer :)

Fantastic! Thanks for that.
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kidcat re the fingerprint thing :eek: I am astounded. I can't believe they are implementing it. The nearest my kids' school did with fingerprints was set up a fake crime scene last year for reception class. Kids had to work out who stole something silly from the class by interviewing anyone who walked past their class (open plan school so easy) and checking their fingerprints against the criminals. Brilliant role play exercise (it was the caretaker who dun it guv!)

re: moving tips: get a bag/box (or 2!) and fill with essentials like couple towels, tea towels/cloths, washing up liquid, essential meds & toiletries, loo rolls, teabags, mugs, spoons etc, something for kids to do/eat/drink, pet stuff, nightwear, change of clothes so you don't have to unpack everything at once.

(Don't however do what I did and put it all in a black sack which removal people helpfully put out for rubbish and so didn't arrive with their van! My mum had to go on a bus ride to collect the bag before bin day the next day!)

shegar - the thread is a bit quieter than usual you're right and I do miss some posters (come back!) but I think it is still friendly on here and people including some regulars are still posting. It is a busy time of year so maybe some people are just... well... busy!

I have decided not to use the thanks after the last bunch of posts about thanking and also because I often forgot and then would go back through posts to thank which is time consuming. Hope no-one minds.

sq:)
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    KIDCAT thats shocking taking finger prints whats next scanning your retina to go to the toilet!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    I too hope the regulars will make a come back sq...:D

Still got snow laying here its too dam cold to defrost in the shade.............

Ive just been out and topped up the birds feeders again, weve got loads of birds coming to the feeders, also got long tailed tits today and all last week, they always come when its frosty by the 100 s, well you know what I mean at least 12 to 14 at a time....

Also got great tits, blue tits, coal tits, green finches, chaffinches, goldfinches, wrens and blackbirds, and thats just in the last hour while im sitting on the computer, well not literally...:eek:.........It do cost a lot to feed the birds, but poor little things need a bit of help.........:).... Since ivew had this new laptop,(first one ever) its nice to be able to move around with it, instaed of being stuck at the desk, im now sitting in the conservatory south facing watching the outside its a new thing for me these laptops, can you all tell that ive now gone all modern? :D..
    .I seem to go through a lot of sunflower seed and fat cakes, the square slabs.......Sheila
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure