Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 18th Sep 12, 6:51 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 36,647 Thanks
    Fruball
    • 18th Sep 12, 6:51 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 6:51 PM
    I ditched the bin years ago - horrid breeding ground for bacteria. Now I just have a carrier bag hung on a cupboard handle and use that. Each evening the bag goes out to the wheelie bin (in theory!).
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 18th Sep 12, 6:55 PM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    BOBS
    • 18th Sep 12, 6:55 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 6:55 PM
    similar to this ........ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0076OM8XU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000INDOXY&pf_rd_m=A3P5 ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0X7BD1KV3YFTZMKBHWQP .... which is attached inside my cupboard door below sink.
  • Caroline-Encore
    • 18th Sep 12, 7:23 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 7:23 PM
    I have several friends who are infant school teachers and they are always desperate for plastic bags as they get used to take 'wet pants/knickers' home in.
  • D&DD
    • 18th Sep 12, 7:32 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 7:32 PM
    Didn't someone try knitting with them once on here??
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
  • valk_scot
    • 18th Sep 12, 7:37 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 7:37 PM
    Originally posted by D&DD

Yes, you can knit with them. You cut them in a long spiral and then knit shopping bags out of them. Just make sure they're not the biodegradable type though.

I use plastic bags to line terracotta plant pots and hanging baskets, to conserve water. You have to punch a few holes in the base for drainage of course but they do help stop the compost from drying out too fast.
    Val.
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 18th Sep 12, 7:40 PM
    • 21,173 Posts
    • 36,772 Thanks
    SailorSam
    • 18th Sep 12, 7:40 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 7:40 PM
    I give mine away to one of the local small shops, it gives them one more life before going to landfill.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 18th Sep 12, 8:54 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    • 18th Sep 12, 8:54 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 8:54 PM
    I use a fair few for scooping the litter box, but only the ones which are the right size for the bin and have no holes. The rest get used for other bins around the house or for putting lunchboxes in so that if they leak the mess is contained. Many more get recycled - our council has included them in the home recycling, which I am pleased about! I recently got rid of a large stash that were the wrong size to re-use or had holes in them.

A while ago I wanted to try a method for making them into thicker plastic sheets from which you could make a strong bag, but never got round to it. The theory is that you cut flat sheets from your bags, layer them up with interesting patterns on the outside (about 3-6 layers, iirc) and iron them on low between sheets of greaseproof paper. They are supposed to bond together and make strong sheets which can then be sewn or stuck together into a bag, pencil case, wallet etc. Extra thick sheets can be made for handles. I think the trick was to get the iron low enough not to burn holes in the plastic, and keep it moving all the time. You would also need a decent paper overlap to stop plastic melting to your iron or ironing board!
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 18th Sep 12, 9:06 PM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 37,222 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 18th Sep 12, 9:06 PM
    • 18th Sep 12, 9:06 PM
    I live in Wales so a 'single use' carrier bag costs 5p. As a result I use the ones I've got till they literally fall to pieces and always carry a fabric bag just in case.
    Total carrier bag costs since last October? 20p!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 18th Sep 12, 9:12 PM
    • 17,243 Posts
    • 26,815 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Use for the living-room bin but most go to the the recycling bin at the supermarket.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 18th Sep 12, 9:25 PM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    BOBS
    by Dⅅ55933255
    I knit one with dd for her recycled art project at school. Actually turned out rather well ... google brings up instructions. We used nice pink house of frazer bags for the main part and black bags for the sides and handle.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 18th Sep 12, 9:29 PM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 9,318 Thanks
    Linda32
    I re-use them as carrier bags as I oftern go to Aldi and they charge for carrier bags.
    • graspandsave
    • By graspandsave 18th Sep 12, 9:44 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 5,031 Thanks
    graspandsave
    I re-use them as carrier bags as I oftern go to Aldi and they charge for carrier bags.
    Originally posted by Linda32

me too, some get used to line wastepaper bins around the house too.....and some go to school.
    I never chuck them
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 18th Sep 12, 9:48 PM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 4,367 Thanks
    carlislelass
    I ditched the bin years ago - horrid breeding ground for bacteria. Now I just have a carrier bag hung on a cupboard handle and use that. Each evening the bag goes out to the wheelie bin (in theory!).
    Originally posted by Fruball

we do that too
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 18th Sep 12, 9:50 PM
    • 4,164 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    Seakay
    I've got loads of fabric bags now so hardly ever get a plastic bag. When I do I usually save them to give to my local pet shop or one of the charity shops so they don't have to get any in.
  • fortunefortune
    Reuse???
    I know this is a thread suggesting uses for plastic bags, but wow - doesn't anyone care about the environment here? A daily plastic bag on your door handle - minimum 365 bags going to landfill every year - and that's just in your house.

Did you know (or care) that there is a gigantic patch of floating plastic rubbish, twice the size of the continental United States, that swirls around itself in the middle of the Pacific Ocean? Tiny Fish eat the microscopic bits of plastic, bigger fish eat them, you eat the fish - you are eating it too. Endangered turtles eat plastic bags as they have poor eyesight and the bags look just like their favourite food - jelly fish.

I don't have kids but am trying to do my bit for future generations and everyone can do their bit. NOT USING plastic bags, turning off water when you brush your teeth, not using plastic containers wherever possible and that's just the start. Please stop using plastic bags.
    • esmf73
    • By esmf73 19th Sep 12, 8:24 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 14,248 Thanks
    esmf73
    Use them to line bins, take with me when I walk the dogs (!) clean out litter trays, keep small toys from a set together, save them for the school Christmas fairs as we always need carriers, take them to car boots when I do them. Only ones with holes in get thrown away.
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card 250
  • therealdessie
    I keep my compact umbrella in one in my work bag - if I get caught in a light shower I can put the brolly back in my bag once it's over without having to carry it by my side. Wrapped up a few times it stays waterproof until I get somewhere I can open it up to dry.

Always take them on planes too, to keep sweet wrappers and such in. If I buy an airline meal on a short flight there's inevitably a lot of rubbish left over which they aren't always quick to collect.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 19th Sep 12, 8:32 AM
    • 36,867 Posts
    • 474,453 Thanks
    pigpen
    as rubbish bags.. as nappy bags.. as entertainment (put one nin the garden on a windy day it keeps the cats entertained for hours! They chase and pounce and attack them).. PE trainers.. icky muddy things! putting out recycling.. collect in bag and fling
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 51894.38 (2.41% int.)
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 19th Sep 12, 8:42 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    Another one here who uses them as bin liners.

I did once crochet one into a coaster for my grandma who was the queen of re-using plastic bags. (She keeps everything in plastic bags, re-using the plastic that magazines etc come in as well. When she went on holiday, all her undies were wrapped in plastic bags inside the suitcase)

I can't understand why my DD buys special little bags for taking with her when walking the dog. Hopefully have convinced her to use carrier bags instead. (she often shops online so gets quite a stash of carrier bags)

I have some lovely artificial flowers in a big ceramic vase in my dining room - but don't look into the vase to see what is holding the huge blooms in place - the vase is filled with M0rrisons carrier bags. Waste not, want not!

At runner bean time, we usually have far too many, so take a trug-ful to church for people to help themselves - always with a selection of re-used carrier bags for people to take them home in. Other people do the same - last week we brought home a bagful of apples from someone's garden. They had provided a stack of beautifully folded carrier bags of varying sizes as well.

When shopping, mostly I use re-usable shopping bags, my favourite is a present from DD - a Radley bag that folds into its own pouch & fits easily in handbag. But every so often I run out of plastic bags to use for other purposes, so conveniently "forget" them at the supermarket!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

2,029Users online

Martin's Twitter