PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 September 2012 at 9:33AM
    Options
    jedi82 wrote: »
    One thing I am finding expensive is granola. I really don't like raisins or sultanas in food and the only granola I can find is Jordans Super Berry which is £4.19 :eek::eek: but is really tasty. Does anyone know of an alternative without raisins etc? This wholefood diet is proving expensive but on the plus side I am under 11 stone for the first time in years!

Jedi x
    You could make your own... Here's a recipe I have adapted for my tastes - I add pecan nuts instead of one of the fruits usually these days

Home-made granola (Sarah Chase’s recipe adapted by Ina Garten and now Suffolk lass)
    Ingredients
    4 cups old-fashioned porridge oats (rough oats are better)
    2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (I use more like 1 cup or it is too sweet for me)
    2 cups sliced almonds
    ¾ cup vegetable oil
    ½ cup runny honey
    A total of 4 ½ cups of dried fruit to your choice (I would suggest 4 kinds though and usually what is in the store cupboard or on offer) – the original recipe suggests:
    1½ cups small diced dried apricots
    1 cup small diced dried figs
    1 cup dried cherries
    1 cup dried cranberries
    And 1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews or other nuts of your choice
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to moderate 350 degrees F.
    Toss the oats, coconut, and almonds together in a large bowl. Whisk together the oil and honey in a small bowl. Pour the liquids over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated. Pour onto a large baking sheet.
    Bake; stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even, golden brown, about 45 minutes.
    Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring occasionally.
    Add the dried fruit and nuts. Store the cooled granola in an airtight container. You can pad it out with a few uncooked oats if you don’t go too mad.
    HTH
    SL

Lollyfin - great minds...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • happy_chick_3
    Options
    Veggies were delivered yesterday. Other than a quick trip to the co-op for some sausages, I've been supermarket free all week! Small spends on 2 coffees and a breakfast panini yesterday (perfectly acceptable after working a 60 hour week!) and thats it. I'm up to £157.46 for the month. Will hopefully be within budget for the the first time ever this month!!!!!
    GC: Jan £118.67/£175

Owed to Mum -
    £1,487/£6,400
    Overdraft -
    [STRIKE]£1,391[/STRIKE]
    Total -
    £2,878/£7,791

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :hiya:
    Hi all am back from holidays, with a spend at Mr S this morning of £83.50 :eek: almost half my budget! Yowsers!

Still, I accidentally put twice the usual milk in the trolley (craven dale offer, so will keep and get used) and it includes meat ( offers too) and 4 packs of nappies and a 9-pack of huggies wipes.

We have a well stocked cupboard so all that remains is for me to actually use it and stop "nipping out" for cooked meats etc because it's easier...

My plan now is no spend until next Friday, and hopefully then only a few bits of fresh veg from the market.

I MUST BE STRONG
    Lol

Eta we didn't use all our holiday money, and should have about £80 to change back, I think :D
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning all :)

Another £40 spend yesterday at Mr T, but i think we got everything we needed for the week.
    Its certainly easier now that the kids are back at school!

Those with kids at school- if they have a cooked meal at school, do you cook for them in the evening too? My kids get FSM (free school meals), so get a hot meal everyday at school, yet i always cook in the evening too, as a matter of habit more than anything.
  • Lulabelle06
    Options
    Asda last night for pizza and full fat coke for my sisters fussy boyfriend! Also grabbed some milk and a birthday card as I am off out for a friends birthday tonight. That is from a different budget so wont be spending money tonight. I forgot my receipt but remember it was 12 something. So as penalty I have updated my signature by £13. Looking forward to no cooking tonight and OH has left over pizza to eat :). Think I can get away with not really buying meat this week, so that should mean hopefully a cheaper shop. Hope everyones having a lovely weekend enjoying the sunshine...I'm in work! x
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Just a quick hello and to report that I've spent £65.92 this week. I also bought some things for the storecupboard, but I will add these to my weekly spends when I use them.
    I must be getting better at this because I haven't had a voucher from Mr A's GC for a few weeks now :T
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 September 2012 at 11:27AM
    Options
    wantToBeSE I always used to cook for mine of an evening, as i never really knew what they had eaten in the day and they used to be starving, as lunch was around 12pm and our dinner at home was 5pm and they also had a little snack and drinking chocolate b4 they went to bed - my kids had hugh appetites, but they are also individual, so your kids might be small eaters. Well i am intending on having a no spend w/end (hopefully). Have a nice day everyone.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks Save Dosh- My kids are huge eaters too, so i dont think i could get away with giving them just sandwiches for dinner. Oh well, never mind, just a thought. My 8 yr old eats more than i do!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 September 2012 at 12:38PM
    Options
    wantToBeSE - I don't personally think meals for kids have to be some cordon bleu affair - unless you want to. if its a time thing, you could always batch cook, then its just a case of reheating, if its a cost thing, my two sometimes had jacket potatoes (microwave style lol), beans on wholemeal toast and something my friend showed me, which she called a tuna melt, which was toast with tuna (could substitute for sardines), topped with cheese and then grilled, which I did usually with salad and is very tasty, wraps with pre cooked meat and salad, which are versions of posh sarnies. im sure your kids love whatever you give them.
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Just back from the weekly shop - this time at Mr S thanks to a nice £6 off a £30 shop voucher ( they've sent me 4 weeks worth of these, very nice of them!).
    Managed to spend £30.87 after discounts but this did include dog food and a few household bits and Dove shampoo and conditioner on offer that I don't need yet but it was a good price.
    So I'm up to £43 this month so far and won't need to go near a shop until next weekend. That's the theory anyway:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure