PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• If you remove elders with a fork it's a bit quicker :) I got elders for the animals will go back and get some for us later on, too many tutting dig walkers in the afternoons lol
  • I am very pleased with myself. For my batch cooking I'd planned today, I decided to make as many dinners as possible from one 800g pack of minced beef. It did mean I had to break my original plan of a NSD because I needed beans but i managed to make:-

2 large Cottage Pies (each should serve 4 adults).
    2 bolognaise (each serving 2 adults & 2 kids)
    2 chillis (each serving 2 adults) :j:T:j

here goes with the details of what I did.

I chopped 3 onions & 3 garlic cloves & cooked them in my biggest pan, in some oil (I meant to add more garlic but only realised, as I type this, that I forgot to go & get another bulb of garlic out). I probably would have gone for about 6 cloves.

Next I added the 800g of mince & fried til the meat was all brown. I added 6 handfuls of red lentils, 2 beef oxo cubes, 2 handfuls of porridge oats & a small cup of water (reckon I could have managed without the water). Next I added 6x400g tins of chopped tomatoes, a large glass of red wine & black pepper & cooked it all for about 10 minutes. Then I started to split it to make the different meals.

Cottage pie-I put, into another saucepan, about 8 mushrooms chopped really small & cooked them in a little bit of butter. Then I added enough meat mixture to make it look enough for 2 Cottage Pies (I got the dish out that I normally use so that I could estimate visually). I added 2 handfuls of frozen peas, a really big dash of Worcester Sauce, 2 squirts (about 2tbs) of tomato pur!e, a chicken oxo cube, some dried thyme & dried rosemary. I halved the mixture. I have topped one half with cheesy mash for tonight's tea (which will spend about 1/2 hour in oven) & the other half will be frozen (labelled up) ready for another day & I will only need to do the potatoes.

Next, I added the remainder of the tube of tomato pur!e into the remaining meat mixture. Then.......

Spaghetti bolognaise-in a clean pan, I fried 2 leftover rashers of bacon, chopped up small, with some oil & dried rosemary. I added some dried oregano & enough meat mixture for 2 family portions (we are 2 adults & 2 kids). That has now been transferred to a casserole dish, ready to spend 1 1/2 hours in the oven, when I have it on later for the cottage pie.

Chilli con Carne- finally I have added a tin of kidney beans, 1 tsp of ground cumin, 1/2 tsp of chilli powder (could add more, but I only had hot chilli powder in) & a light sprinkle of cinnamon & will also cook this in the oven for 1 1/2 hours, later, when it's on. I have made a bit of a boo boo because maybe should have added beans 30mins before finished cooking. Hopefully will be ok! DDs don't eat chilli so there's enough for DH & I for 2 meals each!

:)
    2017 GC O-£93.46/£160; S-£136.26/£160; A-£130.55/£160; J-£47.12/£160;
    J-£106.63/£190; M-£70.29/£160; A-£197.88/£180; M-£219.35/£180; F-£294.14/£160; J-£168.67/£160
    2016 GC £2322.39/£2285; GC-2012-2015 - £9789.91/£7773!
    for 2 adults & 2 kids (13 & 11) for all food,toiletries,cleaners etc

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    MissOrganised- you have truly lived up to your username!! I am impressed!
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Just wondering 2 things:
    1. What do you do to get your alcohol bill down? I'm not a huge drinker but I probably share 1-2 bottles of wine with OH at weekends and he has a couple of beers most nights. I usually buy booze from supermarket, OH accepts whatever is cheapest and occasionally I buy him something he likes! I buy wine on offer usually for about a fiver a bottle. I would rather drink nothing than drink something I don't like so don't tend to buy the cheapest ones. Am I missing any tricks?
    2. Do I need to report each spend I make on here or can I keep track at home and just record my total at the end of the month?
    Thanks!
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • Soworried wrote: »
    It worked for me, I have been stopped for almost 6 months now.:j
    This and a handheld gadget called a tangle. It is a piece of plastic that moves in all weird directions. It kept my hands busy. I am happy to post this on to any one that would like it. :)
    Good luck and report in how many each day. If one day you don't drop by one then just make sure you do the next day. :T

Wow well done I will definatly be giving it as go :D I hope I can say I've been smokefree for X amount of months one day.
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    If you would like to think about quitting, you can get a free 'Quit kit': http://smokefree.nhs.uk/quit-tools/quit-kit/

No pressure though, i dont mean to come across as a 'no smoking nazi'!:D

Thank you and you dont come across like that :rotfl::rotfl:
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks HiddenIdentity, glad to hear it.
    i have just passed my 2 year anniversary of being smoke free, and i love being a non-smoker (or is it ex-smoker?)!

Have had a NSD today, finally!
    Also, i found my old nectar card that i used to use, but its been about 2 years since i used it!
    I called up the nectar helpline and they told me the card had been deleated, and the points i had on it, deleated. So i asked them to send me a new card and put the points back on..and they did! So i have 1903 points on my new nectar card when it arrives.
    Does anyone know how much that actually is to spend in store?
  • Hi Could you put me down for £400 for September please.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Afternoon folks after a NSD yesterday, I had intended today to be one too, but hubby suggested taking DGS to the seaside today so have spent £10.46 in MacDonalds and was another £1.50 for the wee seaside bus and another £1.50 for the seaside train, so will increase my spends by another £13.50 - my budget is for everything - not just grocery. At the moment I have leeks drying in the dehydrator - got 4 leeks from tesco for 40p, and dont have an inch to spare in the freezer so anything else will need to be dehydrated and put into jars. With going to MacDonalds this afternoon hubby is not wanting any tea so the steak pie which was earmarked for tonight will now do tomorrow. Aiming for 3 NSD's this week - Tues, Wed and Thurs, fingers crossed it happens!
    Every days a School day!
  • I have had 2 no spend days. I am very well stocked up, so i am going to meal plan in a minute for the next 10 days and hopefully just buy some salad stuff and a bit of veg.

With regard to the people wanting to quit smoking, To quit smoking you have to REALLY want to. I tried tons of times to quit, but had the mindset of "i wonder how long i will last this time". I finally quit, after a parents evening when the head teacher stopped me and said she found my daughters prayer really touching (what prayer??). She had written a prayer, as had all the kids. Hers was asking god "please please please god, please make my mum not smoke, please god please shes going to die and i will be sad. I cried all the way home, went out in the back garden and had a cigarette cried some more at the fact that i was smoking and just decided I could never smoke again, and live with my conscience. I set a stop date, stopped visitors smoking in my garden, stayed away from social scenes till i was strong enough. A book by Alan Carr, "you Can Stop Smoking" really is amazing and helped and i have never smoked since - that was 12 years this month and apart from the first 3 or 4 months, i have never looked back or wanted to smoke. it is challenging at first, but if you say never again, it becomes easier, one of the best decisions of my life. Good luck to anyone deciding to do this
  • Hi peeps. Today was my first grocery shop of september and I managed to spend £56.01 in sainsbugs, but did have OH with me who put sweets in the trolly. Can't be too mad though as I also put a bottle of cava in. :o Then popped to the veg shop for veggies, apples and eggs and spent £9.56. Need to do a comparison online and see if the veggie shop or the supermarket works out cheaper. So today a grand total of £65.57. Will update sig in a bit.
    MFW 142- Oct 1999 £55,0000, Jul 2013 £27,593.17 Oct 2013 £26,531, Dec 2014 £22,600, Dec 2015 £20,190, Jan 2016 £19,944.19 Mar 2017 £16,944.76 Decluttered 207/2018
    Smile it confuses people :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport