MSE News: Should you buy euros now?

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"UK holidaymakers have had an unusual treat over recent months with a strong pound, particularly against the euro ..."
Read the full story:
Should you buy euros now?

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• Judith_W
    Judith_W Posts: 754 Forumite
    Is there a trend for the rate to reduce as it gets nearer the summer due to the number of tourists spending abroad, or as I presume this is such a drop in the economic ocean that it has no impact?
  • mh8748
    mh8748 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Probably best to buy some now and then the rest will be at the point of purchase (debit / credit card) when you're abroad.

As an aside, I like how the 3 experts completely dodged the answer! However, with the Euro crisis lurching from the sanctity of 'head in sand' to complete panic, it's rather difficult to predict. Though I wuld point out that the long term average of $/£ has tended to be 1.6$/£...
  • Alison1968
    Alison1968 Posts: 7 Forumite
    I think the only thing that's certain when it comes to the Euro is... uncertainty!
  • GTG
    GTG Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Take a look at the depictions of waterfalls in the charts of european bank shares, especially Spanish and Greek banks then decide whether you want buy euros. There is a very real possibility one may end up with either worthless paper at worst or at best, paper which is worth a lot less IMHO.
  • prem0132
    prem0132 Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought at 1.23 euro to the pound today for our holiday in a month but now I am worried I should have waited. My husband thinks we should have and I'm thinking we are going to miss out now if it goes up. Its driving me crazy!
  • Porcupine
    Porcupine Posts: 682 Forumite
    Judith_W wrote: »
    Is there a trend for the rate to reduce as it gets nearer the summer due to the number of tourists spending abroad, or as I presume this is such a drop in the economic ocean that it has no impact?

I've been watching rates for a few years now, and haven't noticed such fluctuation. Forex rates generally depend on the values of interest and inflation rates in each currency (if inflation is 10% in country A and 20% in country B, country B's currency will get progressively weaker. But if interest rates are 10% in A$ and 30% in B$ then you'd make a profit by being in B, so everyone will buy B$ and it will get stronger, cancelling out that profit), and the relative performance of their economies (or perceptions thereof).

The quandary at the moment for the Euro depends where you're going. If you're going to Germany, their currency (the Euro, maybe minus a few countries) might remain strong and so today's weak Euro means you get a good deal. If you're going to Greece, they might end up being in neo-drachma by the summer and then you'd have to consider converting Euro to drachmas. If you did, the drachma would probably devalue compared to the Euro (this after all is the whole problem) and you'd get a better deal than today (neglecting charges, anyway)... but whether you'd get a better deal compared with converting from pounds to drachma at the last minute, who can say?

But of course, anything that goes up can come down, or go further up indefinitely. And saying things like 'Germany has a strong currency' might be generally true but that's no use in deciding what to do when you fly on the 1st August... the ripples from a Euro breakup could be days or they could be years... nobody knows.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    prem0132 wrote: »
    I bought at 1.23 euro to the pound today for our holiday in a month but now I am worried I should have waited. My husband thinks we should have and I'm thinking we are going to miss out now if it goes up. Its driving me crazy!

Look at it this way. If you changed, say, £500 then the difference between 1.23 and 1.28 is £25 - not an insignificant sum but not enough to lose sleep or go crazy over either. You are still getting far much more for your money that you would last year.
  • prem0132
    prem0132 Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May 2012 at 1:57PM
    Thanks doshwaster I needed a voice of reason!
  • Sarahcat
    Sarahcat Posts: 39 Forumite
    We're off to Europe in September travelling first to sunny France and then back up into Germany.
    We have decided to buy half our euros now and the rest nearer the time.
    As we self cater and will need to buy petrol etc we don't want to find we've completely missed out on these better rates if something drastic happens by September.
    That said we definitely order £500+ always as that means free delivery by most exchanges. :rotfl:
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I topped up my Thomas Cook Cash Passport card with euros last week at 1.2 for next month's trip but if it goes up again, I'll add some more - another form of saving that might give a better return than the bank!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure