Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 19th Apr 05, 7:08 PM
    • 6,911 Posts
    • 45,137 Thanks
    Pooky
    • 19th Apr 05, 7:08 PM
    • 19th Apr 05, 7:08 PM
    There's a reciepe somewhere on here for a fridge dough, i've made it several times and it's great. You basically make the dough up and wrap in cling film and keep in the fridge for up to a month, just cut off bits as you want to cook them.

I've used choccy raisins instead of fruit in them, even used mini eggs left over from easter.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 20th Apr 05, 7:44 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    • 20th Apr 05, 7:44 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 7:44 AM
    I remember making these at school and they are absolutely scrummy. Havent made them for years but I don't half fancy some now!

Melting Moments

4oz butter
    4oz vegetable fat
    6oz sugar
    1 egg
    10 oz flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    4 tbs rolled oats

Cream the butter, fat and sugar together with a wooden spoon until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix in. Knead the mixture until it forms a smooth dough. Spread the oats out on a plate, divide the dough into 18 portions and roll each portion into a ball. Roll each ball in the oats to cover and place them well spaced on a baking sheet. Flatten each ball with the prongs of a fork. Place in a fridge for at least 30 minutes or until you are ready to cook. Heat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180C and place the cookies in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Put on a cooling rack and they will harden as they cool.

Yum!!!
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 20th Apr 05, 7:52 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    • 20th Apr 05, 7:52 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 7:52 AM
    Im sure when I made them at school though I rolled them in egg first and then the oats! By the way, sorry for the recipe pandas66!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 20th Apr 05, 8:38 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 20th Apr 05, 8:38 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 8:38 AM
    Ohhhhhh I remember making those too when I was a wee lass, but I rolled them in crushed cornflakes

Thanks for the reminder!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• ET03
    • 20th Apr 05, 9:26 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 9:26 AM
    cookie dough will freeze fror about 6 weeks, just make sure it is well wrapped to prevent it absorbing odours from other foods
    • moggins
    • By moggins 20th Apr 05, 9:36 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 20th Apr 05, 9:36 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 9:36 AM
    Yes but if no one sees you eat them then the calories don't count
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • pandas66
    • 20th Apr 05, 9:44 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 9:44 AM
    :confused: I thought the calories were only free if they were some one elses cookies/cake/sweets and no one saw me eat them............
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
  • Galtizz
    • 21st Apr 05, 1:33 PM
    • 21st Apr 05, 1:33 PM
    Try HERE for the fridge biscuits recipe (second post down).
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
  • karene
    Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I'd better get baking!!
    • freda
    • By freda 22nd Apr 05, 11:36 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    freda
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to cook the whole lot and then freeze the cooked result? (i.e. oven on only once!)
  • ditzymuppet
    woohoo
    What a great thread! Thank you!

~ditzy~
    Love hugs and glitterbugs
  • Liney
    Lavender Shortbread
    Tried these the other day at a wedding, they were so scrummy so have found a recipe I'd like to share - they may sound unusual but trust me they are really nice the lavender is subtle tasting.

Firstly make some lavender sugar. Simply mix either dried or fresh lavender flowers with sugar and place in a lidded container. Store in a warm place for 1-2 weeks, shaking the container occasionally to distribute the lavender among the sugar. Sift the sugar to remove the lavender heads and store the scented sugar in a airtight container. For 1 cup of sugar, use either 2 tbps of dried lavender or 4 tbsps of fresh.

Ingredients
    115g Butter, softened
    55g lavender sugar
    150g plain flour, sifted
    (add a pinch of dried lavender flowers if you wish)

Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2.

2. In a mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon, cream together the butter and sugar until thoroughly blended.

3. Add the flour (and lavender flowers if you are using them) - mix in with your fingers into a soft dough.

4. Place the dough on a floured working surface and flatten down to 3mm thickness.

5. Using a biscuit cutter cut into shapes.

6. Place the shortbread shapes on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.

7. Bake for 20-30 minutes until pale golden and set. Remove, cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight tin until serving.

Enjoy! Would love to hear what you think of them
    Remember its nice to be nice and its good to share!

Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind!

Before printing, think about the environment!
  • ti1980
    How do I freeze cake?
    I bought this lovely carrot cake as a treat to myself but its far too big for one. I've eaten almost a quarter of it so far.
    It has a couple of days on it before the best before date and it says its suitable for freezing.
    It has lashings of creme fraiche on top of it so if I put it in foil when it comes to defrosting it, that will all come off I expect.
    I don't have any spare tupperware now as all my 'ready meals' have been stored in them.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 22nd Nov 05, 11:42 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Could you sit it on a tray as it is, freeze it and then wrap it?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 22nd Nov 05, 12:15 PM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,996 Thanks
    calleyw
    Could you sit it on a tray as it is, freeze it and then wrap it?
    by squeaky

I agree with Richard. It is called flash freezing then wrap it up and put it straight back in to the freezer.

Also when you defrost unwrap it straight away that way it will not stick to the foil you have used. And then just cover it with a bowl or something while it de-frosts

Yours

Calley
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 22nd Nov 05, 12:19 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    You know, somebody is bound to ask...

..who is Richard?

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Glad
    • By Glad 22nd Nov 05, 12:25 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    ...who is Richard? :confused:
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 22nd Nov 05, 12:30 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Some bloke who wanders in now and then... I think he does a bit of indexing too

• Glad
    • By Glad 22nd Nov 05, 12:47 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    Some bloke who wanders in now and then... I think he does a bit of indexing too
    by squeaky
    well tell him to push off, that's your job isn't it
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,454Posts Today

7,857Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin