Hot Weeks

Options
13»

Comments

• PenelopeP
    Options
    Hi, had a call this evening from these people saying that I had won a mini break after entering a competition in the last year! I was given some dates and had to go along at one of the alloted times to go and sort out where and when I would be going for my short break. He did say that it was to get us to have a look at holidays they offer for the future. Luckily I did a search on them and found these comments. About 10 minutes after the first call I had another call from a different person saying that they needed to confirm my postcode because they coudn't read their colleagues writing. If this whole thing wasn't a scam why would they feel the need to make up such a stupid story?? I laughed at the girl and told her not to call me back as I had done a search on them and she hung up on me!!!!!
    Need I say more?!
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I enjoyed a call from these "timewasters" at the start of march I gave them the time of day enjoying their pitter patter whilst watching the one show or similar. I asked them to post me the hamper and give the holiday to a charity as i am not allowed to leave the country anymore . Gave them my name and address (well my sisters actually but we often do that)(you should see how many kirby hoovers i have had knocking at my door in the past)(b1tch)i said my postcode and asked her to write it down clearly very clearly. Then asked her to type it clearly on her computer and store it there. Then asked her name again (leslie) and said if anyone needed my postcode because they couldnt read it clearly. i could get them to ask her. Never rang back but she had a nice voice.
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • sirmarcus
    sirmarcus Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    edited 25 March 2011 at 7:35PM
    Options
    I have just had a call from "hot weeks" to advise me of my free holiday and also to invite me to a presentation next week at Holdenhurst Rd, Bournemouth. Getting my invite in the post. Can't wait !;)

I won't be going after reading this thread. Thanks.:)

Also is hot weeks anyway related to Ventura1 ? Seem very similar to me ?
  • sirmarcus
    sirmarcus Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    cliffly wrote: »
    I don't work for this company by the way

Really ? and not convinced !;)

3 posts and 2 of them promoting timeshares ?;) Mmmm....smells rather fishy to me !!;)
    cliffly wrote: »
    Hope this helps :)

No it doesn't !:)
  • glendaken
    Options
    Yes they were Ventura, but now trading under hotweeks.co.uk from their offices in Holdenhurst Road Bournemouth.
    The hamper is a pink gift bag with a small bar of chocolate of unknown make, a one third bottle of wine, a packet of breadsticks, ginger biscuits and water biscuits.
    Watch because their presentation goes on for more than two hours!
    They did not give the 14 day cooling off period and will take an illegal deposit!!
    The new Timeshare, Holiday products resale and exchange regulations 2010 came into force in February 2011 to include companies like this who sell certificates for membership of a holiday club. The must gove you 14 days to cool off and cannot take a deposit up front. They only resell vacant weeks from associate timeshare members.
    Watch out only accept if you wish to go to specific accommodation. All other offers will be through other travel agencies at standard prices!:T
  • Janie_G
    Options
    Thankyou for all previous posts re hot weeks. Forearmed is forewarned. Had the phone call last night. Script word for word as in previous posts. Said my husband had won competition, funny that as he only reads Guardian & telegraph online. Let them prattle on, booked a slot for Thursday pm bournemouth but won't be going, hopefully have wasted their time and they will sit & wait for us. The phone will ring but my husband who is deaf will answer and feedback from his aids will send them potty. Sad for the people who work in this business but times is hard. :D
  • chrking
    Options
    thnks to all for helpful info. i was called and had the same second call re illegible postcode. Puzzled at the time. Played along, bt thought I,d check and found this thread. also predecessor company Ventura was had up for 6 breaches of Consumer protection Act re their adverts.
    Was just now called again by them, as we we were supposed to go to Bournemouth meeting tomorrow. Asked girl on phone politely about illegible postcode..was another colleague apparently..mentioned that it was strange others had had same problem...she didnt know about this of course. Put her manager on..I asked same question, he said do you want prize or not. I said that I would turn up and ask others invited if the 'illegible postcode' sounded familiar. I said that maybe they would then reconsider their options. He then began swearing at me, lots of F words. Difficult to get a word in, but I told him the call was being recorded and recording would be passed to Bournemouth Echo (unfortunately not true)..left him still swearing as I put phone down.
    Considerable satisfaction, but doesnt help poor sods who might be more gullible. Probably all legal, but should be some way of putting people like this out of business. Maybe if someone else gets the call, go along and ask questions at the meeting...might be fun (PS entirely at yr own risk)..would have gone, but rather a long way (40 miles for us0 and probably wouldnt get thru the door now..
    Anyway, thanks again. keep up the good work !
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    " He then began swearing at me, lots of F words. Difficult to get a word in, but I told him the call was being recorded and recording would be passed to Bournemouth Echo (unfortunately not true)..left him still swearing as I put phone down.
    Considerable satisfaction, but doesnt help poor sods who might be more gullible."

I just loved reading the bit where you said you were recording this for the Bournemouth Echo! Since this advertising campaign (or whatever term you want to use !!) seems to be around the Southampton area I wonder if you should be telling the newspaper. After all this is the silly season when they are usually short of stories. It may just help someone to avoid getting conned.

We seem to get recorded "You have won a holiday to..." where I live with a grating American voice. I have come home to find a message on the phone and it has said "That was not the right/correct response!! press 9 for..." If I get such a recording when I am home (or any other unwanted salesperson despite TPS) I just very quietly put the phone down, I don't mean back on the cradle to cut off, I mean to one side and then they can chat away to thin air as long as they like- at their expense!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Options
    Just had a call from these people who had my Mrs___ name and address (easy enough) and said I'd done a travel survey last year. They were offering a 'thank you' case of wine but seemed confused when I couldn't confirm that we were both over 40. She said she was going to call me back but I'll wait and see.

Sounded like a scam/timeshare and this thread confirmed it. Thanks :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport