Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 84
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 27th Feb 11, 7:09 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    I was watching Hugh FW last night or the night before and he was being very moneysaving! It inspired me again today to use my chicken carcass which is now on the stove and will become a soup and a risotto later on tonight.
    DD has made a lovely carrot cake which I will have apiece of later. I made some apple curd last night again which I will freeze for the future-I potted it up in 5 small tubs. I made the smoked salmon pasta from the http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/index.html site last night for the first time and I have to say it is excellent! I didnt have cream to hand so used half a tin of evaporated milk instead. Ive frozen a couple of portions-it made enough for 5 rather than 4 so I was very pleased as it only works out at about 40p per serving and yet seems rather luxurious!
    Going to tot up my spends asap but Im sure Im well inside my budget!
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 27-02-2011 at 7:12 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    anyone seem any cheap airers anywhere?
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Have u tried looking on the freecycle website you may even get one for free, ive also been known to find freebies in the free adds and sometimes on suermarket notice boards.
    HSBC £3223.20 £2060.00
    Cap1 £1724.91 £1782.00
    OD £939.78 £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
  • huxley
    Thank you for the ideas re the artichokes we normally just have them roast we really don't need to grow so many plants but we grow a row as a windbreak (no pun intended ) on the lotty, had so many this year been giving them away to people at LETS so they can grow them!!!!!!
    • Pinwheel
    • By Pinwheel 27th Feb 11, 7:48 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    Pinwheel
    Hi just popping in to update sig and panic about how much I've spent already from my March budget! I've bought 2 chickens, a big pack of mince and some veg and salad as well as yogurts and milk this weekend. I cooked one of the chickens today and we had a roast dinner, tomorrow we are having a rice thing with some leftover chicken and I am making a chicken pie to freeze for next Sunday. The other chicken is in the freezer and I am going to make a big batch of bolognaise /chilli and shepherds pie base from the mince and freeze in portions. My meal plan is done for this week and I shouldn't need anything except maybe some bananas and apples. We are well stocked with basics so fingers crossed we can manage on what's left until the end of March. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend.
    PWx
    Oct GC £36.72/£220.00
    Sep GC £223.58/£220.00
    Aug GC £200/£200
    Jun GC £192.73/££220 - Jul GC £296.88/£220
    Apr GC £230.40/£200 - May GC £230.40/£220 -
    Feb GC £200.19/£200 - Mar GC £203.37/£200 -
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 27th Feb 11, 8:16 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    Just making a note here of what i've spent today. I'm including it in March's total (was going to cheat and just add it to February, but most of it won't be touched until at least March).

£1.70 on eggs at the car boot.
    £2.78 at Tesco - their offer on 3 tins of beans etc ended today so I got 3 x tins of chickpeas, 2 x tins of butterbeans and 1 x tin of borlotti beans. Also got some custard and some Stork.

I suppose I have cheated slightly as I used half of the Stork and 2 of the eggs tonight to make a quiche...although it's for lunches later in the week so that makes me feel better
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 27th Feb 11, 8:36 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    Billie-jo thamk you for those recipies i have some coconut so will give it a go dont have a sugar thermometer so will just have to guess ive done fudge without one so should be doable fingers crossed i used to do a lot of baking not so much now
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
    • Aril
    • By Aril 27th Feb 11, 8:41 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    Aril
    Hello
    After a very long absence I'm back on board with the challenge please
    Please could you put me down for £230 for March.
    Thank you
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 27th Feb 11, 9:01 PM
    • 5,093 Posts
    • 49,556 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Declaring at €171.20 for February and being a coward, going for €190.00 again for March Mrs MC....thanks.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • Craftyscholar
    • By Craftyscholar 27th Feb 11, 9:16 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 62,248 Thanks
    Craftyscholar
    Declaring at £80.55/£90 for Feb.

Can you put me down for £85 for March please Mrs M.

• TheBees
    Declaring at £390 for February. Not brilliant but could have been a lot worse. £10 over budget.

Please put us down for £370 for March please.
    Last edited by TheBees; 27-02-2011 at 9:28 PM.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 27th Feb 11, 9:35 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    not sure where i ended for febuary with laptop not working i lost track of everything.

after every thing else is paid out i'm gona be on a very tight budget.

can you put me down for £100.00 please mrs m thank you
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • SOT2011
    Hi

Many thanks to Spiggle for comment re: my planned major budget drop in one month.

Agree is going to be tough, but there are only two of us, plus small dog. We have enough dog food in for a couple of months so no spends on her food this month and despite best of intentions I used up very little out of the cupboards and freezer last month.

Have done a freezer stock take today and have enough meat and qu**n to do us at least 16 meals each and i really want to make some space in there so I can fit a loaf of bread and some milk as those are the main things I seem to run out of between shops so I am going to give it my best shot. I do have the £12 left from Feb budget to top up if needed, but it is going to be quite a challenge and require some rigid sticking to lists as this tends to be my downfall!
    Debt Free since Nov 11 (ish) (except the £118000 mortgage ) as at Jan 2013 but still hanging around DFW as I need to Stay On Track.

"My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did'." Phil McGraw
  • janie-h
    Hi all

Quick update -
    L**l -£16.49
    Grocer - £4.49 Mega choice, value and friendly staff! 1st time I've been in there, but will def go back
    Post office - 89p (loaf of bread, on special and cheaper than L**l across the road)

Total = £21.87 to add to Feb

Had my Mary Berry cake book out and made apple cinammon cake yesterday (delish ) and had some warmed up with custard for pudding today (delish, delish, delish ) Got some HM greek yoghurt, so am going to try her recipe for lemon yoghurt cake... mmmmmm.
  • Missus Aka
    NSD for me today, seeing as it was my birthday lunch was made for me dont feel like ive turned 23 though still look like a teenager (i get asked for id everywhere) maybe this will benefit me more when i am my mums age (she looks like my older sister)

OMG just watching wife swap, wife says that the reason she does not clean ANYTHING and wakes up at 1 (with 18m old baby) is because looking after a baby is a full time job, YES it is BUT (BIG BUT) taking care of your baby means your house should be hygenic, messy fine, untidy fine but dirty no i dont think so, kid is crawling near cat litter tray that hasnt been emptied in what looks like a month. sorry but just had to have somewhere to rant it upsets me, people like this is why there is a poor opinion of young mothers.

Anyway on a better note am going to do my 4 week meal plan tomorrow and need to find a new recipe to make, have got no idea what i am looking for though...we will see...congrats to everyone who succeeded with this months challenge and to everyone else even though you havent met your budget you have succeeded in spending less money then you normally would
    Last edited by Missus Aka; 27-02-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • Hippeechiq
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY hun - hope you had a lovely day

forgot to mention about the Chocolate Stuff - its a bit like Tiffin and we have 2 Tiffin recipes on the list so I'll cross reference them, I much prefer the name Chocolate Stuff though
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Yeah - Chocolate Stuff is a quality name! lol
    You're right too, it is similar to Tiffin in the recipe index, especially the 2nd one, they're pretty much identical.

Love the sound of your cakes Janie - would you care to share the recipes? How are you getting on with the no smoking?
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Feb 11, 10:57 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that the Grocery Challenge for March is now up and running so I'll unstick this thread in the next couple of days... yes I know, how can it be March already! Anyway, spring has sprung here so I'm feeling optimistic! I hope, despite the dreadful price rises that we can all make the best of what we have to spend on our grocery budgets.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Thanks as always to MRSMCAWBER and rosieben for all their hard work and good luck to everyone taking part. I hope it's a good month for us all.

Pink
  • janie-h
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY hun - hope you had a lovely day

Yeah - Chocolate Stuff is a quality name! lol
    You're right too, it is similar to Tiffin in the recipe index, especially the 2nd one, they're pretty much identical.

Love the sound of your cakes Janie - would you care to share the recipes? How are you getting on with the no smoking?
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq

Hi Hippeechiq
    The no smoking is going great - 10 days smoke free! Had a girly night & at a friend's house on Sat and NO SMOKING! Feels great!

This apple cinammon cake is really easy to make and tastes yum!

APPLE CINAMMON CAKE -

8oz soft margarine
    8oz brown sugar
    3 eggs
    4oz walnuts (chopped)
    4oz sultanas
    8oz SR flour
    2tsp baking powder
    14oz apples (peeled, cored and grated)
    1tsp cinammon

Oven 180C/350F/Gas4. Grease and line 9" deep cake tin.
    Mix marg, sugar, eggs, walnuts, sultanas, flour and baking powder together until thoroughly blended.
    Put half mixture in cake tin, then grated apple, sprinkle cinammon, then rest of mixture. You can sprinkle with more sugar and walnuts on top if you want.
    Bake for about 1quarter-1half hours or until well risen and golden brown.

Delicious cut in wedges with or without custard/cream/ice cream!
  • youngmummy
    hi all i would like to declaire £444.68p spent so far out of my annual budget of £2800 please could you update as i start march on the 28th of feb, many thanks. i came in under budget for this month as a have £233 a month but some months will be more than others this is why i have set myself an annual budget as it is easier for me. hope everyone is well, take care all, see you over on march's board.
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
  • youngmummy
    anyone seem any cheap airers anywhere?
    Originally posted by minnie2
    my local dun*lm m*ll had them £10 instead of £20. they are similar to the minkey ones from arg*s which are sold at around £30.
    or freecycle xxxx
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 28th Feb 11, 5:09 AM
    • 4,504 Posts
    • 33,115 Thanks
    boultdj
    Done my last shop for this month, and thank's to moving and useing stuff up managed to keep it at a low $30 giving me a total spend of $90.48 for Febuary.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

181Posts Today

1,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin