Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 52
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 13th Feb 11, 7:24 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    NSD today! I am spectacularly over my target so I need to have a few more NSD's this month. I declare on 23rd February. I am looking forward to be more realistic and in control next month.

123budget, the spicy lentil soup sounds good. I think I will try it during the week.
    GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
    June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
  • rachelww1
    Made another order today to BB4L for 20.59, inc 2 cases choc dips, 4 x 3.5kg bags bread mix, 6 x jars rogan josh curry paste, 12 x bottles salad cream, 2 x packs milky bars (for party) and kitchen rolls.

Have added to febs signature, but won't be using it all this month
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt 41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings 250
    2013 OP 3500
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 13th Feb 11, 7:37 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 3,682 Thanks
    mummyjane
    what's BB4L if you don't mind me asking?
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan 462.44/400
    Feb 210.10/450, 2/10 NSDs
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 13th Feb 11, 8:48 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    So, I've just done something I've NEVER managed before! I went a whole weekend without going to a sm! This, in my world, is a huge accomplishment, and I'm really proud of myself!

Went out yest, and took a packup which consisted of fruit and crisps from the cupboards, and some sausage rolls from the freezer. Went to a friend's yest for dinner. Today, another friend bought me a mcd breakfast (naughty but nice), and then gave me lunch as I'd driven her to ikea (was going anyway). Made dinner for some other friends tonight, but already had in all ingredients, and there's even leftovers for our dinner tomorrow, so that's the meal plan shunted two days back. Nice!

Due to these NSDs, my daily spend allowance has now crept up to 1.33. Slightly worried about half term - not that I don't have enough food, but that I'll go shopping with the children!! Still, away for two days, and ch with their dad for three (2 of which are when I'm away). I'll do my best, and that's all I can do. I really do have SOOOOOO much food, that it's way past ridiculous. My friends say I could cope for 6 months without leaving the house if we had snow/nuclear attack/etc!! (I'm inclined to believe them now I've woken up and seen it!)

I'm off now to bask in my glory! Take care all, prayers going to all in need.
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • rachelww1
    what's BB4L if you don't mind me asking?
    Originally posted by mummyjane
    Sorry, big brands for less - an online discount store selling near ood food, and end of lines. You have to pay for delivery on a scale charge for weight, but only the same as I'd pay for Mr T's to deliver.
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt 41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings 250
    2013 OP 3500
  • TheBees
    Hi all
    Not been online for a few days as I managed to break the cable that plugs into the wireless router but that's been fixed now.
    Had to go to MrS on Saturday while taking DS17 out for driving practice again. Despite having him with me we stuck to the budget fairly well.

Regarding soup - I made one last night just throwing in some floppy vegetables from the bottom of the fridge - a couple carrots, some browning broccoli, a bit of butternut squash, onion and courgette. Simmered with some vegetable stock for half an hour and then blitzed it when it had cooled. Oh and I added a few dried herbs, salt and pepper and it tastes pretty good.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
    • Pernicious
    • By Pernicious 13th Feb 11, 11:01 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 8,895 Thanks
    Pernicious
    I've not managed to keep up with this thread at all, & disappointingly I have not stuck to the meal plan/shopping lists like glue...& thus am way over budget. I think I made the mistake of going after a really, really hard day at work when I had so many things to do at home as well, so things just got chucked in the trolley without really thinking if we need them or if we really want them...*sighs*

For example - I bought 6 packs of hot dogs that were on offer, GREAT! I thought, but after looking at the receipt later I saved less than a pound...on all 6...

I know people say there are no "failures" with this challenge but I do feel a bit of a failure - on the bright side it means I will have to try extra hard next month...
    Debt at July 2012: 12,862.57
    Current Debt: 0
    100% paid off!
    Savings Goal for November 2016: 5000
    Current Savings: 1176.24
    23.52% Saved!
  • wannaBrich
    hi guys, hope everyone is ok and finding their budgeting ok.

I've been off work ill for a wk, go back tues - the stat sick pay won't be hardly anything, only on a 12hr contract so I really should be good and stick to bugeting!!!

well I have enough cat food and cat litter for the month anyway, lol -
    my kitty is my priority.

I think I can come in for the budget - I get paid on 26th, hmm, 12 days with 20 budget left.
    This should be quite interesting!!! lol

(Increase in medications really given me the munchies - this is really annoying! )
    Feb GC 298.72/250
    Mar GC ? / 300

Start SW this wk!
  • Mothership
    Need your support for an experiment
    Hi There

I had an idea last night, slept on it and woke up a wee while a go to write it down while its clear in my head.

I've been telling you about the 2nd & 3rd purse idea.
    These past few weeks I've been trying to break an addiction that I've had for such a long time... To shopping, mostly food shopping.
    I have reached a strange place, one I never ever thought I'd see. I have enough of everything in the house in the freezer /stores. To last for 6-12 months. Saturation point if you like.
    I've even upgraded a lot of what we are eating to the best possible quality. We are eating better than we ever have and most importantly we are not wasting anything.
    I've spent around 50 this month 10% of last Feb spend, I reckon what is in the 2nd and 3rd purse ( for replacing low stock and and a small budget could keep me going for quite some time,) with fruit/veg/ milk and perishables etc.
    So I've decided I'm going to go for it, instead of spending money I'm going to try only spending what I absolutely have to.

I've opened another account and have a debit card with only the balance of Febs budget and the contents of the 2nd and 3rd Purse. With no overdraft facility.

I plan to make a further large purchase of meat from Donald Russell this month for delivery at the end of March to be paid from the 3rd purse.

I've done a list of what's been eaten and worked out an average cost of the days meals, the average is about 4 per day 28 per week, as we have lived from stock for 3 weeks of Feb, I will owe the 2nd purse 84 + 10 for March + I need 30 for fruit/veg/ milk and perishables etc. That will set my budget for March at around 124. The bulk of that will sit in the purse till a top up is required.

For the next 6 months, I will only be using the 2nd & 3rd Purse solely for food/household purchases.

This thread has been a great discipline for me, I've been RE-EDUCATED LOL . It will be interesting to see what happens, its been a real eye opener for me doing this GC.

For anyone wishing to follow my progress, just keep an eye on my signature. I will list any purchases at the foot of my posts
    It works out in real terms we are getting by on 1/5th of what we are used to spending. That works out at least 400 per month of savings. Just under 5K per year. That is serious money.
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
  • Candy Belle

Morning!

Just here to report another NSD for yesterday! YeY!x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May 177.04/235.00 Apr 237.79/235.00 Mar 226.16 /235.00
    G/C - Jan 248.52/235.00 - Feb214.72/235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 14th Feb 11, 7:20 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    need to go shopping today for guinea pig food , hay and some fresh food for them

hopefully that will be it

just booked return train tickets to london for a day trip in april ( used my 2 savings so effectively free) I really want to go to the titanic exhibition - so need to save for that now

happy valentines day everyone
  • funnyflipp
    Hurrah NSD yesterday!!!! but I do need some bits today however having gone through the fridge and freezer I have enough to make main meals to the end of the month!!!
    Quite an eye opener for me
    So on Fri & Sat I needed bits for baking and well just topping up
    Although I then seem to go mad and try to buy laods
    So as it stands I have spent 344.44 so to stay on track I have 5.56 to last until the 25th
    Must do better next month
    112121.02 10 Years and counting!
    Target in 2011 22K /10646.97 DFD Feb 2017
    42Lbs /23 Down 19 to go!
    So now I just need to keep going!
    Nearly half way through the year and I'm still here
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 14th Feb 11, 8:37 AM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Went to Mr T's on Saturday and spent 14.08.
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• MRSMCAWBER
    Afternoon all

Thoughts are with those having tough times right now....

I had a tiddly spend on Saturday (2.20) -we had to nip to the naafi on Saturday as hubby won 500 on a slot machine last weekend and it short paid him 164 -so we went to pick that up, and well it would have been rude not to at least have a look wouldn't it
    So I picked up :-
    Tesco 10 slices ham -whoopsed to 20c a pack -so I got 6 and then 4 chicken breast whoopsed to 1... and whilst I was doing that hubby won another 150 ....
    Anyhoo Im at 16nsds out of 20 so far this month and I shouldn't need a deal of anything -I have my meal plan sorted for the week and the freezers are still packed,,,

On the "meat free" night front, I have now found that hubby quite often requests things that are meat free (and he was a Mr. Carnivore) .... his ultimate fave is Jacket potato with cottage cheese and salad -and if it doesn't feature at least twice a week he goes all -luckily its one of my faves too....... easy cheesy veg pasta is also another fave (and SW friendly ),
    Tonight is the jacket, cottage cheese n salad mmmm and I have just taken the chicken n bacon out of the freezer for the SW coq au vin tomorrow...it is stunning...ooohh and another 1lb off for me this week meaning I have lost 110lb -so 1/3 of my body weight
    rigth enough waffle ..... have a lovely day all..
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • cat_smith
    Nice quiet weekend - 2 NSD's although I could have done with a bottle of wine to drown my sorrows over Scotland's rugby performance.

Need to go to Mr A to get bits for Valentine's dinner. Will be trying the first of my Donald Russell delivery tonight - Steak and chips here we come. Will have to see what Mr A has in the way of seafood for a starter. Think Lobster Thermidor might be a bit heavy. Scallops with ginger and chilli?

Don't want to pick up too much as DH won't cook while I'm away. Need to do a fridge empty tonight. Rubberised chicken going into pie for tomorrow night. Carcass in SC overnight for stock. I will NOT waste any food.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
  • LKBlogg1980
    I know its halfway through the month but can I join in? I will do it weekly for this month and then monthly starting next month? My budget for this week (through till Sunday) is 60 thats for 2 adults and 3 children (one of whom is still on formula and in nappies).

Is this possible do you think??

Hope its ok to join now.

Lyns
    xxxx
  • LittleMissHappy
    Spent quite a bit in Mr T today getting loads of dog food, cat food and cereal

Am adding only 8.59 to my total and taking off the money that I have spent for the food over the next few months as I need them (I don't need them now and only got it because it was on offer)

What a beautiful day it is outside I think I will actually enjoy being out in the garden doing poo patrol today!!! Have a good day everyone x
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P ), DSE141 (D ), DSE212 (P ), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
    • kittypimms
    • By kittypimms 14th Feb 11, 11:49 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    kittypimms
    Fab news on the weight loss MRSMCAWBER!

Oh very dear for the House of Pimms budget so far this month!

Went to Mr T's on Saturday to take advantage of the 3for2 on Dog Chow - so got 3 months worth of tins for the boys. Also treated myself to a quiche dish, and needed did not need but bought without thinking a few other bits.

Dog kibble also delivered this week so spends to date are -
    Dawgs - 44.10/20
    Me - 33.14/40
    Total - 77.24/60

Hopefully will only need milk, lentils, eggs and cheese for the rest of the month. Hopefully! At least dog chow spends should be down for the next couple of months
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 14th Feb 11, 11:54 AM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    I hope everyone is having a good day. I had to buy some oranges today. I am working the next 2 days so I am steering clear of supermarkets.
    GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
    June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
  • rosieben
    123budget, your Spicy Lentil Soup and TheBees, your Vegetable Soup, now in the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,900Posts Today

9,253Users online

Martin's Twitter