Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 16th Nov 10, 11:47 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    0 WOW
    Top Cashback Sites Article Discussion
    • 16th Nov 10, 11:47 AM
    0 WOW
    Top Cashback Sites Article Discussion 16th Nov 10 at 11:47 AM
    This thread is specifically to discuss the content of

To discuss or ask a question about this article: please reply here

To read the previous Internet Shopping thread see here

To discuss making free cashback from clicks please use the
    Making Free Cash From Cashback Sites Discussion
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • Blackdog
    • By Blackdog 16th Nov 10, 7:41 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Blackdog
    • 16th Nov 10, 7:41 PM
    • 16th Nov 10, 7:41 PM
    I use topcashback.co.uk as they don't charge a fee and the service has been brilliant.
  • pan111
    • 17th Nov 10, 9:43 AM
    • 17th Nov 10, 9:43 AM
    If you are an employee of Associated/Northcliffe Media Ltd (anrewards.co.uk) - they have their own cashback site for employees only...rates are usually the same as the big two, plus the security of being run in-house.

They also have a voucher & pre-pay card purchase section...couldnt believe that I could buy an ASDA Fuel pre-pay card, saving 5% on each top up through the site!
  • gaum
    • 1st Dec 10, 11:33 AM
    • 1st Dec 10, 11:33 AM
    Hi - does anyone know if there's anything we can do to recoup losses after Cashbackkings going bust? I suspect not, but am not informed on these matters. I lost £55 so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 2nd Dec 10, 4:57 AM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    JDPower
    • 2nd Dec 10, 4:57 AM
    • 2nd Dec 10, 4:57 AM
    Hi - does anyone know if there's anything we can do to recoup losses after Cashbackkings going bust? I suspect not, but am not informed on these matters. I lost £55 so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Originally posted by gaum
    Judging by the article on the MSE site you've probably lost it:

Never count the cashback until it's in your bank account. This isn't just because of tracking and processing issues, cashback sites are easy to set up and many are small companies which can (and some have) go bust.

If it happens you've little protection - you may count as a creditor to the company but in all likelihood your money will be gone.
  • dave_wolves
    • 2nd Dec 10, 12:58 PM
    • 2nd Dec 10, 12:58 PM
    Is anybody doing the Cash for Clicks thru Quidco, how does it work? How do you know you're clicking on a link that pays?
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 9th Dec 10, 3:45 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    JDPower
    • 9th Dec 10, 3:45 PM
    • 9th Dec 10, 3:45 PM
    If you want to PM me your cbk email address I can double check they've got a record of your amount owed
    Originally posted by richardyendall
    Without giving clear proof of who you are I would suggest no-one starts sharing account details with you
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 10th Dec 10, 5:55 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    JDPower
    • 10th Dec 10, 5:55 PM
    • 10th Dec 10, 5:55 PM
    Good point. Does the post at rpoints.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1213759 provide satisfactory proof?
    Originally posted by richardyendall
    Combined with checking your posts on there, yes it does IMO. Apologies for the suspicion but sure you understand
    • janewatts
    • By janewatts 5th Jan 11, 2:05 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    janewatts
    • 5th Jan 11, 2:05 PM
    Topcashback/Vodafone iphone cashback not paying out
    • 5th Jan 11, 2:05 PM
    I am a little confused about why Topcashback gets such good testimonials but seems to be complicit in the Vodafone/non-existent iphone cash back scam?

How can it be legal to advertise a deal and then just not pay so many people? Surely that's false advertising at the very least?

If anyone can tell me how it's legal to do this, or even better what action the people currently waiting for Vodafone to cough up what they promised can take, I'd be very grateful - over £100 (for a long term expensive contract I should add) is not to be sniffed at!

Thanks in advance

Jane
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 6th Jan 11, 3:49 AM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    JDPower
    If anyone can tell me how it's legal to do this, or even better what action the people currently waiting for Vodafone to cough up what they promised can take, I'd be very grateful - over £100 (for a long term expensive contract I should add) is not to be sniffed at!
    Originally posted by janewatts
    I have no idea what the Vodafone issue is that you are talking about but number one rule of cashback sites, as stated on TopCashback:
    No member should make purchase decisions based on the expected cashback, as with any cashback site, it isnít always completely guaranteed
    And on MSE:
    Think of cashback as a bonus only - it's not guaranteed

Tracking problems occur for many people using cashback sites - there are times when you'll expect to be paid and won't be. One recent study showed 40% of cashback users don't get paid and while we think those stats are overblown, it shows this is an issue.

However, it's not just problems with cashback sites themselves. They get the money from the retailers or product providers and disputes in this area are common, so sometimes they're not paid.

Plus, unlike when you get cashback from a retailer, which is part of the product t&cs, here you've far fewer rights - therefore the best way to approach this is to consider cashback as a bonus if you get it, but don't allow it to drive your purchasing decisions.
    Last edited by JDPower; 06-01-2011 at 3:52 AM.
  • Annanya
    Originally posted by gaum
    Hi, as you can probably tell I am new to this so am not quite sure what I am doing! I too was a member of Cashbackkings, but luckily for me I only had about £2 in my account. However, I received an email from liquidators a few days ago, so you may still be able to get your money back!
    • dazza.mk
    • By dazza.mk 28th Jan 11, 2:50 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    dazza.mk
    Hi, as you can probably tell I am new to this so am not quite sure what I am doing! I too was a member of Cashbackkings, but luckily for me I only had about £2 in my account. However, I received an email from liquidators a few days ago, so if you are lucky you may still be able to get some of your money back!
    Originally posted by Annanya
    Amended, I'd be surprised in this instance if you got any money back, if you do it will be a very small percentage,
  • JayLou
    Help!
    Does anyone have any idea what has happened to the "CashMachine" cashback website?
    Thanks
    JL
    • dricer
    • By dricer 20th Apr 11, 1:06 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    dricer
    I recently ran a test to see who paid me the quickest,

I ran with Quidco, Top Cashback and Cashbackhero.co.uk.

The longest time it took to get paid with was with Quidco followed by Cashbackhero.co.uk and TopCashback paid the fastest.

I would suggest clearing any cookies before you click on an offer through a cashback platform as there can sometimes be confusion as to who sent the transaction through. If you are browsing a number of different cashback sites this can be a problem. You can still submit a missing ticket too with them if you haven't been paid.
  • ab3njp
    quidco
    I joined with quidco only a month ago and have already had £100 tracked, but probably good time of the year for me as all our insurances are up for renewal. saved £200 on my home insurance and got £75 cashback.

However, as the previous posts say, I'm yet to receive any of it. It can take up to 4 months apparently.

As MSE says, use the cashback sites for things that we were going to buy anyway, and shop around first. E.g. a new TV - we went in stores to see it face to face to make sure it was what we wanted and the check the price. Then checked online at it was £30 cheaper. And to top it off, the online shop I got it from offered the best rate of cashback.

Also I've used NCP for years for work, and only by registering my card did I realise I got 11p back every day. Over a year that will mount up to about £30.

So I can obviously see the benefits, but hopefully this isn't too good to be true, we will see in a couple of months whether they pay up.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 23rd May 11, 5:01 PM
    • 10,543 Posts
    • 38,428 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Quidco offers 5% back on Premier Inn bookings but won't investigate when the cash back doesn't track - which as been twice in 2 bookings. Bad show Premier Inn
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • user1984
    cashback mistakenly added
    Hi all
    New to the MSE forums and have a question..... Suppose "someone" clicks through to a merchant on TopCashBack and was just browsing but didn't make a purchase, and then they got a cashback tracked to the account and its now at the confirmed stage, could that "someone" claim it when it becomes payable without worrying that TopCashBack might come a'knocking for it back?? not that this "someone" is morally inept and wanting money that isn't rightfully earnt, but if its the merchants mistake for tracking it incorrectly can TopCashBack ask for it back? has anyone else come across something like this? thanks.
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 24th Jun 11, 6:17 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    JDPower
    Hi all
    New to the MSE forums and have a question..... Suppose "someone" clicks through to a merchant on TopCashBack and was just browsing but didn't make a purchase, and then they got a cashback tracked to the account and its now at the confirmed stage, could that "someone" claim it when it becomes payable without worrying that TopCashBack might come a'knocking for it back?? not that this "someone" is morally inept and wanting money that isn't rightfully earnt, but if its the merchants mistake for tracking it incorrectly can TopCashBack ask for it back? has anyone else come across something like this? thanks.
    Originally posted by user1984
    If you didn't make a purchase there would be no cashback

• user1984
    Thanks JDPower, dont know if you use TopCashBack but they use stages regarding cashback - Pending > Confirmed > Payable > Claimed. After the merchant site was browsed, the account was credited with the amount that would have be applied if a purchase was made. This went into the Pending state at which point if the merchant realised the mistake, it would have been removed. However, it went to the confirmed stage i.e. the Merchant confirmed the cashback. It hasn't gone to payable state yet so they still may take it away but IF it goes to this state it makes it available for me to request the BACS payement. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what happened if they took the money. Thanks.
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 24th Jun 11, 10:18 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    JDPower
    Thanks JDPower, dont know if you use TopCashBack but they use stages regarding cashback - Pending > Confirmed > Payable > Claimed. After the merchant site was browsed, the account was credited with the amount that would have be applied if a purchase was made. This went into the Pending state at which point if the merchant realised the mistake, it would have been removed. However, it went to the confirmed stage i.e. the Merchant confirmed the cashback. It hasn't gone to payable state yet so they still may take it away but IF it goes to this state it makes it available for me to request the BACS payement. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what happened if they took the money. Thanks.
    Originally posted by user1984
    Yeah I've used TCB for a long while, never heard of this happening before. Definitely wasn't a click thru for x pence was it???

If it is a mistake I would say its up to you how you deal with it. Technically you'll have received the cashback fraudulently, which you might get away with for a few pence but if it's a significant amount and TCB or the merchant discover it then at the very least you will have your TCB account closed. TCB are normally very good and understanding and if you point out the error they may well offer to cover the cashback out of their own pocket as a thank you for pointing out the mistake (though I'm not for one second saying they WILL). Honesty is always the best policy IMO
    Last edited by JDPower; 24-06-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

41Posts Today

2,666Users online

Martin's Twitter