VW Touran ABS/ESP Recall? VW's Ticking Timebomb!

Options
123457»

Comments

• harveybobbles
    Options
    The contol unit sits under/behind the battery. So duunno what kerbing has to do with it.

Also, call my cynical, but youre a newbie who is praising a company... :rolleyes:

Also, Warrington VW are one of the worst dealers I have ever used! They go out of their way to be unhelpful...! To the point where we as a garage dont use them now. We use SKF.
  • gdard
    gdard Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I have a 1-year old VW Touran. Should I replace the brake controls unit? Just to be sure nothing happens...
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • lambo28
    lambo28 Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options

Also, call my cynical, but youre a newbie who is praising a company... :rolleyes:

I think Pigster101 is real, i saw him on a VW enthusiast forum about this.
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    Probably prmoting Warrington VW again... lol
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    Pigster104 wrote: »
    Also be aware that the diagnostics are closely scrutinised, I have heard of people getting knocked back by VW because they have badly 'kerbed' the vehicle and damaged the control unit!

So they guff about vw's being well built, is just guff!
  • helenfoz
    helenfoz Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there.

The ESP light on my 55 plate VW Golf 1.6 FSI with just under 31,000 miles on the clock, came on last Monday and has been permanently on. Just had a mechanic friend of mine do I diagnostic on it and it came up with a 'sporadic' fail in the ABS system and won't let him erase the error :-(

My mechanic is going to speak to an auto-electrician friend of his on Monday to see if he knows anything more, and following that if he can't help I'll be getting in touch with VW.

Looks like I am probably going to be joining the club of the ABS pump failure at a cost of £1500 :-( Do people reckon I would be better directly contacting VW customer care to ask them for a goodwill on the repair due to it being in such low mileage and only being 8 months out of warranty, or should I go to the VW dealer I bought it from? Any further advice on what to say to them would be greatfully received!
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately this problem seem to be all too common - if you're out of warranty perhaps the best bet is to find somewhere that can re-condition the ABS pump - try here for instance:

http://www.carclinicmagazine.com/abs_pumps_modules.html
  • helenfoz
    Options
    Thanks. I'm gonna wait and see what my auto-electrician says first and then probably take it to the VW dealer I bought it from and see what they'll offer first. You never know, I may get really really lucky and they will do it 100% goodwill like I have seen they have done for a few others (I'm not holding my breath though). Until then I'm gonna continue to drive it because its still 100% safe to do so. The main thing is getting it sorted for when I want to sell it.
  • helenfoz
    Options
    Oh and by the way, I have even found a facebook group dedicated to this issue if anyone wants to join too please search for "VW Golf ESP Failure". Looks to be quite a common problem!
  • SinspeedLtd
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Thought I'd finally join this site and share my input as I'm always on here reading up on everyones views of common problems. We run a company called Sinspeed Ltd and we're seeing this problem all too frequently but it's not just the VW's & Audi's that suffer this problem, you'll find the same ESP (Brake Pressure Sensor) fault with other vehicles such as Seat's, Skoda's and even Mazda's.

You're right, £1500 from dealers to fix a problem that quite frankly looks to be a manufacturing defect is not right, however, there is hope for those who are just out of warranty or who know which buttons to push. We've had reports from customers who've received anything up to 70% discounts on the cost of parts & labour to have the unit replaced by the dealerships but, being a vehicle out of warranty this is entirely at managerial discretion. None the less, it's worth taking the time to write in to management expressing your views.

We never suggest replacing it with a new unit anyway, they're not superseded just simply replaced so what's to say it won't happen again in 4-5yrs?

We strip & rebuild these units, in fact we're taking in about 6-7 of these units on a daily basis and carry many of the common part numbers in stock ready to be exchanged, however, sometimes the exchange units do need to be reprogrammed to the vehicle so that would be an additional cost to take into account (normally £45-£90).

We've got our own blog article I wrote out personally outlining the problems, most common vehicles, part numbers and so forth, check it out and if you've got any questions I'm always around you can send us an email or call us on 0871 2887 666.

Our Blog Article:
    sinspeed.co.uk/blog/08/volkswagen-audi-common-abs-fault-brake-pressure-sender-sensor-switch-failure/

(Sorry as a new user I can't hyperlink it, so please copy & paste into your address bar)

One thing I would definitely like to mention though, I noticed (I think on page 1 or 2) someone mentioned that the ESP not working is not dangerous - quite true, however if you're used to driving hard with the ESP working then it may feel different when it's not working. They also mentioned that with the ABS not working it's not dangerous as the brakes will still work but like an older vehicle - again I would like to stress that not only does it help prevent the vehicle from skidding but also helps prevent the pistons on the brakes seizing on emergencies by pumping them.. some vehicles will also begin to vibrate on motorways and along with ABS the traction control may stop working too which will greatly affect the stability of the vehicle.

Good luck to all of you and if you have any questions I'm here to help :)

Regards,
    Jay @ Sinspeed Ltd
    Web: sinspeed.co.uk
    Tel: 0871 2887 666
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business