PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are you more thrifty, OS and MSE than your mother?

Options
thriftyscotslass
thriftyscotslass Posts: 1,249 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 7 July 2010 at 9:30PM in Old style MoneySaving
It seems to be a widely held belief that the "older" generations are more thrifty, save more, make-do and mend, grow their own food, want less and appreciate more than the younger generations.

I feel odd as this isn't the case in my immediate family.

My parents were war children - dad died 25 years ago, mum is now 75. Their parents were "working class" and they lived in council housing.

My Dad didn't go to war but qualified and got a "good" job. Mum was a typical 50s housewife - she worked for 3 or 4 years after school but stopped work immediately on getting married. I was a baby-boom child (1964). Mum has not worked a day since getting married.

They lived in suburbia, bought their own home, moving from a semi-detatched up the housing ladder to a bungalow and bought new cars - appearances were very, very important to my mother.

By the time I was 10 (mid 70s) they had a lot of debt - cleared by two small family inheritances.

When my father died (1985) my Mum inherited a lump sum and a pension - cue the start of behaving like The Merry Widow - foreign holidays, a timeshare, holidays at home, clothes, expensive ornaments, Marks & Spencer food, ya de ya da....

The money is gone, she is living in a large house that she can no longer afford but she let slip last week that she has taken out a loan and an overdraft to maintain her standard of living - at 75 :eek: - her reasoning she cannot cope without her holidays and little spending sprees.

Compared to me (now 45):

I've worked every year since I was 14 when I got my first part-time job. I gave up work last year to become a full-time carer to my son who has Autism.

I learnt to cook, knit and sew at school (not from Mum) and have dragged those skills from memory to use in this last year.

I learnt to manage finances through experiencing hardship in my 20s and am honing those skills to razorsharpness through MSE. I am now working my butt off to become mortgage-free asap.

I am more thrifty, OS, self-sufficient and financially astute than my mother which is the opposite to popularly held beliefs and stereotypes.

Just wondered if there are any more like me out there, Thriftyxxx

Comments

• gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im definatly more thrifty than my mam in 30this month mams 53.
    mams recently made redundant from part time shop job and got back from annual holiday abroad.
    So did we sun holiday 15quid each in cornwall.

younger sister lives at home rent free, mum pays her food and allows her to drive car so no insurance/tax costs apart from petrol hence why sisters spoilt.

When I grew up was all ready meals.
    my mam split from dad when I was 9 he brought her a house.
    shes since remarried and moved in with new hubby so house proceeds went into her ever dwindling savings.

shes spent small amounts on me and my kids.lots on sister

lots on clothes, holidays ect.

lived on ready meals as a kid.

she never sewed and mended.
    despite crap home econonomics teacher im fab cook self taught mostly
    never understand people who say well we dident learn in school as so many great cookery shows and books out there.

Got my love of foraging food and mending stuff from my dad.

My mam still does buy readymeals and lots of prepacked stuff.
    she mostly shops at waitrose and does not shop around new aldis opening soon in town but shes turning her nose up already at lower tone yet whinges about food costs shes very much one for brands dont think shes downshifted yet.

she fears computers so not shoped around for best rates

never sells or buys at carboots/ebay.

as family of 2adults 2small children and some debts , one income we quite frugal and cut back as much as we can.

I know I cant change my mam think older genrations been cushioned a lot by housing markets as they ones who can afford pensions, savings and have huge equity.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • smileyt_2
    smileyt_2 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting. I think I am on a par with my parents. My mum taught me to knit and how to turn up trousers - a skill for which I am profoundly grateful since I am under 5ft:rotfl:

She cooked from scratch most nights each week so I learned how to peel veg from her.

I'm more moneysaving in that I grow some of my own food, shop around on the internet for best buys and buy clothes from charity shops, something my mum wouldn't do. But I learned from my parents the value of saving for things I want. As children, my sister and I had to pay our pocket money of 50p/week to the lady on the market stall to save up for a Sindy doll if we wanted it. A very valuable lesson in delayed gratification that has stood me in good stead all the way through my adult life! It means I can now stand back and assess if I really need (or want) something or if I can do without or buy cheaper elsewhere.

So thanks Mum (and Dad, of course)!
    Aspire not to have more but to be more.
    Oscar Romero

Still trying to be frugal...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My Mum was a very thrifty scots lass who married in 1935 during the depression,although my dad was a chemist they still had hard times and had to move down to London in 1937 for him to find work.The War came along and with it both my brother and myself to join my eldest brother who was born in 1937.we lived in the east end of london fo a long while and my Mum was bombed out twice after that my Dad who was often absent for periods as he was in the army decided that we had to move to a safer place and the whole family upsticks and moved to blackheath on what was then the outskirts of london.off my dad went back to war leaving mum and three small children and the dreaded rationing.How she managed on a soldiers pay with three little ones I can't imagine but she did and it was from her that I learned all my frugal ways . she could magic a meal out of almost anything and we never ever were allowed to say 'I don't like it ,or I won't eat it 'Food was made to be eaten and eat it we did or god help us .She seemed to be working indoors all the time and her fingers were never still .Even in the eveing she would be knitting or sewing whilst the wireless was on.
    I think if she was alive today she would be thrilled with this site and probably the biggest poster on here .
    She sadly died in 1962 before life became easier for women but she never complained about her lot at all she was a very good homemaker and an excellant cook and could make a shilling do the work of five and often did
    So Thanks Mum you were a great inspiration to me and I have passed lots of your tips and recipes on the my two daughters so her thriftiness lingers on long after she has gone,I was very lucky to have her for a Mum

R.I.P Catherine Baxter Bearn 1900-1962, you were priceless
  • thriftyscotslass
    thriftyscotslass Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JackieO What a lovely tribute to your Mum, it brought tears to my eyes - what a super, strong lady she was.

I never knew my gran (Mum's Mum) but I do know she worked in the factories that made the soldiers kits during the war. She also was bombed out and experienced lots of hardship.

It makes me wonder about my own Mum - where on earth did this highly dependent woman with such a sense of monetary entitlement and having to be "kept" come from. It didn't come from her own upbringing and the model her own mother set so it must have come from the people she associated with and the societal stereotypes that were promoted in the post-war years. She must have been one of the very first "want, want, want consumer brigade"

I know she is not alone in her elderly years with her spend money like water and no sense of responsibility habits. There are a lot of them about and is even a name for them "SKI-ers" (spending the kids inheritance). I guess they are not going to frequent MSE though ;).

I just think it is interesting - we seem to assume that it is the younger generations who have poor spending habits and lack social responsibility - yet I see a "missing" generation of older people who have had it incredibly "easy" and yet don't seem to appreciate how lucky they were / are.
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really interesting thread.

I'm 29 - cook most of my meals from scratch, grow some stuff in my garden.

My Mum - 55; shops at Waitrose, lives off ready meals etc. She can afford it though so I don't begrudge her it now. However, when we joke about it as a family she says she deserves it now after years of cooking. Hardly Mum, we reply, we had a three meal rotation of shepherds pie, sausages or fish fingers!

My granny - 75 could be out of a timewarp. She's a farmers wife and my grandpa still gets his 'pieces' (they're scottish) made every day. They barely spend a penny but live very happily.

Jackie O - thought your post was lovely.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Both my grandparents and hubbys were sensible with money maybe partly because of the war years.
    My mother started her working life in the 1940's/50's on a good income and so didn't have to think about where her money was going to come from. I think she rebelled against her own upbringing which was ultra frugal.
    On marrying dad, she was soon struggling for money as he was a compulsive gambler, she was having to guard every penny.
    She still gave up her lucrative working life though as she wanted kids and married mums didn't work in her opinion.They were homeless for a while and then we all lived in one room till I was 7 when we got a council flat with the arrival of our younger sister. Mum took on cleaning work to get by, as dad gave her nothing after he had paid the council flat rent.
    Life was very mixed for us kids, on the one hand there were ready meals ,sweets and comics and constant TV,dad was never without his packet of ciggies, on the other hand there were jumble sale rejects and no holidays and many many embarrassments.Mum still rebelled against austerity and would come home with packet meals or tea time fancies on a whim.
    I think we always were thinking,if only dad won the pools we would be fine.
    I began work at 15 with a paper round ,£2.20 a week which I used to pay for new plimsolls and my own essential toiletries.At 16 I got a job full time and left school and after a year of getting used to the novelty of money ,saved like mad.
    When we got married 6 years later,we bought our first place with a mortgage and my squirreled savings.
    Hubby's parents were both very free with money but not always sensible and that lead to a struggle for me in trying to keep our outgoings below our income as he adjusted to real life where you don't blow £20 on videos you will watch once.
    When I gave up work to have kids,we sat down with a budget book and wrote down everything.
    So I think in the end, we have become similar to my grandparents and hubby's because we do watch the pennies,make rather than buy,grow our own and generally let the pounds take care of themselves.
  • thriftyscotslass
    Options
    A big thank you to all who are sharing their stories on this thread.

Culpepper - I too can relate to feeling more like my gran than my Mum - I'm a hard-working woman who watches the pennies.

Isn't there an old Yorkshire saying "Clogs to clogs in three generations" ??? (or maybe I'm losing my marbles, won't be the first time :rotfl:)
  • Winged_one
    Winged_one Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    I am different to my mother - and we are at different stages in life too.

She was a nurse, but gave it up when she got married and hasn't really worked since (she did one week in a shop a long while back, but it didn't suit her and Dad does support her very well). She is very busy now as a senior office holder in an organisation similar to the WI - unpaid, but she gets expenses for her meetings, and she enjoys the work involved.

When we were growing up, there wasn't a lot of money and there were 6 littluns to feed. There were lots of veggies and quite a bit of soft fruit, as well as 2 apples trees, grown in the back garden. We'd go to the fruit farm reasonably regularly to buy 2 boxes of eating apples and one of cookers - which we'd then use for lunches (with sambos) and other snacks for the next month or 2. But we generally had good food on the table most of the time (I remember occasional "economy drives" when we ate bread and jam for dinner, but they were rare) - as we'd spent 18 months in the US, Mum had learned about Italian and Indian foods, so was more into dinners that stretched than plain meat and 2 veg, which was the norm around us here. And she did a lot of baking and preserving of her own too.

Mum made a lot of our clothes and sewed most of the knees on trousers, hems fallen down etc. She made a lot of hers too. And we all wore hand-me-downs from each other and our grown-up aunts. We walked to and from school a lot. We didn't get pocket money until quite well into secondary school.

We still have open fires at home, but a lot of the wood for it was chopped ourselves - I remember being given the chopper a lot from about 12 to cut large rounds into logs (it was a great way for me to get rid of lots of pent up rages and hormones!!).

Nowadays, there is a lot more money in the house (Dad has risen through the ranks in his professional job and the kids are all grown up). Mum is a lot more busy too. So she buys a lot more food from the weekly farmer's market and tends to go for the quality brands (always did, but now she goes for the luxury rather than "good" ones). A lot more convenience food too, and plenty of wine. She rarely sews anymore (no need and no time). She has a huge wardrobe of clothes from her travels. I am not sure that savings are ever really considered in the household - they live day-to-day more or less.

I didn't give up work when we married. Or even when our child arrived. I didn't want to, although we probably could have managed on DH's salary. We do a lot of our cooking from scratch - but we do have busy lives so I also have a range of decent jars of sauces and other fast option meals in the cupboards for when it's hectic. And I do double batches of dinners and freeze half, for similar occasions. I do a lot more baking and preserving than mum used to do - as I like it and use the results both to eat and to give presents.

I have an allotment - our garden being less than quarter that of "home" - and I grow quiite a bit of veg and soft fruit there. We are not self-sufficient, but apart from tomatoes, I probably get more than Dad used to at home (his tomatoes and courgettes were in a polytunnel).

I am not great at sewing clothes. I have a machine and I do sew things for the house, and am getting better at things that would be under closer inspection. And I do a fair bit of knitting - last year, all my and DH's siblings and significant others got handknitted facecloths with a soap to match the person, and the year before, my 8 aunts and uncles each got a scarf with different colours, wools and patterns to suit the recipients.

Both DH and I will repair our clothes a lot though - Dh is good at sewing buttons and wunda-wedding hems. And sewing a little, not seen, seam if necessary. I do thiose, and any visible repairs also. And if it is beyond us, but worth doing, we WILL bring our clothes to the tailor for repair. And we bring our shoes for heeling/soling to the cobblers - which Mum doesn't do at all. I buy a reasonable amount of clothes, but tend to go for quality items that will last for years.

We also get our appliances repaired - much to the amusement of others. We do most of our own DIY jobs of all descriptions, and know the local plumber and electrician to call on them too.

We use public transport a lot - not something my mother would dream of, even when in the city. She is utterly wedded to her car.

And I have savings plans, both short and long term. Some of my own, and some shared with DH (not that I have money "hidden" from DH, but both of us know that each of us has different savings). I use coupons where i can - and am part of loyalty schemes all over the place (we had a free 2 night stay in a hotel recently from one, for example, but it's mostly grocery stores).

And I am cetainly more environmentally friendly than my mother in lots of ways, many of them OS and money-saving but also green.

I am probably a bit more OS and MSE than my mother, but then again, there are areas where she was better than me in the past (at the same life-cycle stage as me). Who knows what I will be like at her age :)
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thrifty scots lass - its a bit of a different saying but round here we have - "1st generation earns it, 2nd generation consolidates it and 3rd generation spends it".

Weirdly accurate when you look at our neighbours!

I'm the third generation though!!
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    My mum knows how to be thrifty, has been thrifty but now doesn't have to be so she isn't!

My grandmother was frugal to the end - she didn't get an automatic washing machine until 2005 and that was under duress. She made do wherever she could and didn't spend on things she didn't see to be important. What she had was great quality so she rarely needed to replace things. She died with plenty in the bank. When we were growing up my dad worked very long shifts to keep the household going and my mum knew how to make the cash stretch. They kept how little money they had from us really well, it was only when I became an adult that I realsied how tough it was for them. Since my dad retired and we all left they enjoy life and they enjoy the cash they have. They love DIY, growing their own, my mum like knitting and baking and they think the budget supermarkets are the best thing ever. But they won't scrimp on things because they did it when they had to and find no need to do it again. Which is fair enough imo.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure