Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 31
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 17th Jun 10, 5:36 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Morning peeps

just updated my siggy, way to go yet but the cupboards are getting restocked with the extra cash that i`ve allowed this month so i`m happy

I have a huge larder unit to put together and fit and then i will have a complete kitchen once again need to start saving for some flooring then but that can wait a while - may buy a radiator first though.

I shall work out next weeks meal plan later today and make up a list for this weekend, my turn to do the shopping this week so non of DH`s impulse buys in the trolley like last week, what a waste they were and although he thought that he was doing the right thing (well i do have doubts) a third of the cost was in things that i wouldn`t have bought. Must nag him to stick to the list

MrsM - any chance of posting the SW coq au vin recipe please?

Have a good day everyone.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th Jun 10, 9:05 AM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 29,757 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi....im going well this morning already done x2 lots of washing and put them on the line....thought about tea and got some chicken out for making into a chicken pie tomorrow...might need to pop to the shops towards the weekend but ill see how it goes

i am trying to use up the contents of the freezer...its a hard job to think of ways to use up bits and bobs that u perhaps wouldnt think to have together....going to the shops and buying stuff seems a much easier option

have a nice day
    tess
    onwards and upwards
    • AnnieG
    • By AnnieG 17th Jun 10, 9:09 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 5,307 Thanks
    AnnieG
    i am trying to use up the contents of the freezer...its a hard job to think of ways to use up bits and bobs that u perhaps wouldnt think to have together....going to the shops and buying stuff seems a much easier option
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    I'm trying to empty my freezer too, so I can defrost it and have a big cook-up to fill it up again, and like you am having to consider some strange combinations... salad and potato croquettes anyone?
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • FelineFantastic
    Morning All!

Had a NSD yesterday and am aiming for one today Have to say the fridge is looking a bit Mother Hubbard tho.... Will have to at least get fruit and veg tomorrow I think.

Hippeechiq- good for you with the wine- I save to go to the hairdressers as my treat as I feel so relaxed when I come home- we all need to take care of ourselves or it will all fall apart!

Recovering Spendaholic- I agree re their basics range- i am always extolling the virtues of it all! Much better than the usual basics anywhere else

Have a good day everyone- mine is getting better so far from a rather low start- the sun always helps and the thought of a treasure hunt in Poundland at lunchios has perked me up!
    June Budget= £151.41/£150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
    • greent
    • By greent 17th Jun 10, 9:20 AM
    • 8,105 Posts
    • 82,326 Thanks
    greent
    I'm trying to empty my freezer too, so I can defrost it and have a big cook-up to fill it up again, and like you am having to consider some strange combinations... salad and potato croquettes anyone?
    Originally posted by AnnieG
    But I don't think that's strange......

I'm trying to empty mine a bit, too - but keep getting frustrated by doing things like taking a pack of mince out and turning it into something larger that needs to go back in the freezer - the only downside of batch cooking!!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1972.10/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th Jun 10, 9:29 AM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 29,757 Thanks
    tessie bear
    i can relate to taking one out of the freezer and putting 3 back in...i quite like potato crocs with salad.....im thinking of using noodles with a chicken and mushroom pie to get rid of them...ill let u know how they go together
    onwards and upwards
  • MRSMCAWBER
    SW coq au vin recipe
    Afternoon all

Here you go Sunnyday -just copied it over
    coq au vin
    serves 4
    EE + Original 1.5syns
    green 15 syns
    • low cal cooking spray -I don't use it
    • 12 lean bacon rashers-cut into bite size pieces -I use 1 per portion, smoked is yummy
    • 12 baby onions, peeled and left whole
    • 4 cloves garlic -crushed
    • 400g mushrooms -I use frozen ones, defrosted and squeezed out
    • 2 sticks celery -cut into 3/4" pieces
    • 2 carrots -peeled and cut into 3/4" dice
    • 1 sprig thyme -I used 1tsp dried
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 180ml red wine (burgundy/bordeaux)
    • 800ml chicken stock
    • 2tbs balsamic vinegar
    • 12 skinless chicken thighs or drumsticks -I use 4 breasts
    • seasoning
    1. place a heavy based flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat
    2. spray with oil (if using) add the bacon and onions -stirfry until just browned
    3. add garlic, mushrooms, celery and carrots
    4. turn up teh heat to high add the thyme, bay leaf, red wine, stock and vinegar
    5. add the chicken and bring the mixture to the boil, then lower the temp and simmer gently for about 25 mins until chicken is tender and cooked through
    6. for a thicker sauce, remove the chicken and keep warm. Cook the sauce over high to reduce -return chicken to the pan and heat.
    Now I do mine a wee bit different ... I make the sauce and reduce it down quite a bit and then ad the chicken so it doesn't get over cooked
    The sauce is stunning on its own and would make a lovely sauce for pasta or over steaks etc....

* now I don't know if the LIDL in the uk sell the same wines as the one out here -but just in case...we have a great wine for the dish...
    It is Spanish the lable says Vino Tinto 2009 Lieblich and it has 2 little gold bulls heads on it.... now we only pay €1.39 and it is lovely -so it might be worth seeing if they have it....

This has become my fave recipe so far and not just SW ones ...Im an addict hope you like it

Well folks I need to add another €35 adding to my spends -although that did include 40 loo rolls and 12lt of fabric softtener -well they were on offer

Dinner here tonight is meatballs with chilli vegetable sauce -I concocted these the other day and it was lovely -so I have dragged the other half out of the freezer -Im going to have mine with jacket potato and veg...and put hubbies on pasta, so a nice quick dinner for us tonight ...

We are planning on nipping to the NAAFI tomorrow so heck knows what I might spend in there

Im another one who gets to play "jenga" trying to get things in the fridges n freezers ...its amazing how many times I will try and re-jig things to get that "1 last item in"

Hope everyone is well and having a good week
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 17th Jun 10, 11:11 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    went to mr t this morning to do my weekly shop, came to £59.45 even though i said i wouldnt need a lot on the plus side i bought some frozen cod fillets to make my own fish fingers and frozen chicken fillets to make goujons never made them before so quite excited i also bought a 5kg bag of spuds to make wedges, roast pots, chips for the freezer just got to find room now in the freezer Still got to get t-bags, sugar and cappucino's but these are cheaper in i**land so will pop there tomorrow. Least ive saved on the delivery charge by not doing it online this week have a good day all.
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • wssla00
    New month new spend! £95.00 spend in Asda but got all the month's meat, all free range or organic and all the dry goods. Shouldn't need much fresh veg or fruit..... the garden is in full swing! Just need the cats stuff and some drinks for the summer oh and some cleaning stuff from Lidl.

Have a good day!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • ASC
    • By ASC 17th Jun 10, 11:50 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ASC
    Hello everyone, gorgeous sunny day here so feeling good! Well, I don’t want to count my chickens, but things seem to be on track so far… I did a smaller than usual shop last weekend which included some expensive goodies for a picnic – total was just over £30. The best thing though is that I got paid on Tuesday which would normally have me running to Mr T to stock up regardless, but I haven’t been yet (I know it’s only two days but believe me, that’s good!) I have, however, finally put in an order to App F00d (another £30ish). I’ve filled a mythical basket many times before, but there’s so much stuff on there at the moment that we will eat it seemed rude not to!

I will have to get some milk today but I shall only take £1 so I can’t get tempted. We’ve got plenty of food around, I just need some imagination to make meals out of it. DH is out a lot visiting a sick relative at the moment so I’m using store cupboard stuff to feed me and the children (he’s the fussy one!) I made Weezls vegan calzone last night (although I did add some chopped bacon that needed using up) and used some salad leaves from the windowsill. Very yummy, very cheap and no shopping required!

Sorry for the long post people. Shall update sig now.

A x
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 17th Jun 10, 11:59 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    hey everyone, bought crisps, choc bars, milk and fruit juice. £8 between farmfoods, b and m and netto.
    going back to a weekly on line shop next week as feel like bought lots of little bits over the past two weeks.

take care xx
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • elizabunny
    Hello everyone! Gorgeous sunny day here today and my garden is coming on nicely. Therefore, I am now able to cut back a bit on the shopping, we are currently eating salad leaves, swiss chard, broad beans and lots of herbs from the garden. The first Potatoes won't be too long now and the red currants are just beginning to get their colour. I am so grateful that I can grow these things as I really don't know how we would cope with the ever increasing supermarket prices. I have just 2 bags left of the frozen blackberries from last year's free picking and also a couple of big bags of frozen apples from our tree. I'm hoping to replenish all these again later in the year because they really have been so useful throughout the year. Another NSD for me today that makes three in a row and something of a record for me at the moment. Think I might need a tiny shop on Saturday. Keep up the good work everyone!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • yummymummy05
    Recovering Spendaholic - I found the best flapjack recipe it Twinks hobnob recipe! - I use maple flavoured golden syrup and add either cocoa powder, raisins, chocolate chips then spread it in a baking tray. Turn it out straight away on to a wire rack though otherwise it stays a bit cakey on the bottom!

Am out for dinner tonight with work as it's my last day tomorrow (v.excited).

I bought cakes out of the gc budget for work and someone is going to re-imburse me for half so I will take that back off my total however she is getting sausage rolls and crisps for me so she will take that off what she gives me - can I still swing this as a technical nsd or am I clutching at straws??!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 17th Jun 10, 1:52 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi All,

Been a bit quiet this week as been very busy.

Went to get myself a cinnamon whirl from MrT yesterday (from pm) and discovered Herefordshire strawberries for £1.99 which I couldn't resist and reduced Herefordshire asparagus tips reduced to £1.05 each so I got two! To be fair, I got two packs of these tips last week reduced to 65p each and they taste delicious. The local/British asparagus season is so short that these treats are not as extravagant as they initially appear. (Sig is updated)

I was very good too as I originally picked up and paid for a pack of raspberries but noticed as I was putting them in the car that they had come all the way from Morrocco so I took them back and got a refund. I love raspberries but I'm not willing to pay the food miles for them. I'll wait until I can get some local, English or Scottish ones.

We were supposed to get the weekly shop done today when I was on my way home from work but I've had a corker of a headache since last night so I didn't go into work and it'll have to be done tomorrow now. It's a beautiful day here too but the sun is making my head worse so indoors for me and I do so love the sun.

Unfortunately I won't get an NSD today as we're out of milk and OH will need to get some on his way home. I can't live without my tea. I'm not sure therefore if I'll hit my target on NSD this month although I may have set it unreasonably high. We'll see how it goes.

I may ask OH to get butcher and grocer stuff tomorrow so we can get an 'extra' NSD on Saturday. Sorry thinking aloud.

Welcome to the newbies - you'll find terrific support here. And loads of hugs to all those needing them.

Going to sort out the huge pile of papers on my desk now. Our local authority started full doorstep recycling this week and our first collection is tomorrow. It's brilliant as we've recycled paper and glass for a while but now can do the whole lot plastic, tin, cans, heavy cardboard, etc. The one service we won't be using is the food waste as we never have any cooked waste and all peelings, teabags, eggshells, loo roll inners, dyson contents, etc go into our compost bins. We have been struggling to think what we will be sending to landfill!

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a great week and I'll speak with you again tomorrow or Saturday.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • Winged one
    I am hoping for a low spend shop this weekend. Although I suspect I will be doing it in a bad state as I am going for "liquid lunch" on Fri (v rare for me but sometimes you just have to!).

I already have a large chicken for the family roast dinner. We haven't eaten much fruit this week. We are working through the freezer and I have pork chops, mince beef and IKEA meatballs to use up there. So it should mean a small shop this week, and I think doing it in the local convenience store may cost slightly more but mean that I only get what's needed (rather than being tempted by the bargains!).

I know I will have a few things to get the week after in terms of toiletries (I am almost out of conditioner, and the tothpaste is almost gone too), but those can wait for the week. Overall, I am still hoping to be well under this month's target by month end.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 17th Jun 10, 3:28 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Thanks MrsM the recipe looks lovely, i`ve just bookmarked it.

We don`t have a Lidl close by and its quite a trek to the closest one but i`ve heard a rumour that we may get one of the cheaper supermarkets in the area soon, i`ve got my fingers crossed as i`d love one. We do have a Netto not too far away which i used to visit often but don`t go much these days as the prices of a lot of the things that i used to buy from there are now on a par with some other shops own brands. Not worth the extra trip most of the time now. I have some hm blackberry wine which i may break into when its ready and some elderberry too, can`t wait to try them *drools*

For those who are trying to empty their freezers i can sympathise the last twice i did mine i`ve taken everything out and packed it tightly into carrier bags and a plastic laundry basket and defrosted the blooming thing and then put everything back in it again afterwards

I need to cut the contents by two thirds atm to fit a fridge freezer into the kitchen and then have a small freezer as an overflow in a spare room but i`m not doing very well atm.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 17th Jun 10, 4:24 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Hope you are all having the same lovely sunny weather as have here "up North" at the moment! Have just updated my signature and only have £50 till the end of the month, but that isn't so bad because DD1 goes on holiday to Majorca on Saturday and she eats more than me and DD2 put together! DD2 and I can happily eat out of the freezer and cupboards so spending should be less.

ASC -I smiled at your post because I am always filling "mythical" baskets at approved food but have yet to order anything! Yummymummy - thanks for the flapjack tip - will give it a try!
    Spiggle - our council only does tins and paper and the tip is 8 miles away from our house - They say they are going to start full recycling soon so fingers crossed!

Most of my spend over the last couple of days has been for ingredients for DD1's fundraising day at work. I agreed to make and donate 120 "posh" cupcakes which I did yesterday and the ingredients cost me £26 - however there was method in my madness as I sent a load of cake boxes to pack them in and each one I wrote "Jane's cakes" and my mobile number -the fundraiser was today and already I have 3 confirmed orders and 3 enquiries for special occasion cakes

Kids are out for tea with their Dad tonight so I will just have beans on toast as I am knackered after baking until 2am this morning!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • skilly
    • By skilly 17th Jun 10, 5:41 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    hi all,been shoping ....£20.00 market....£38.00 mr m's.....£2.20 local shop.£137.38 to last to the end of the month :-)
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
  • wssla00
    £25 spend today on cleaning stuff and toiletries. Will update my sig in a mo! I need to start researching chutney recipes to sort out my hundreds of tomatoes I'm growing- five different varieties and I hate tomatoes! Weird huh?

It's so warm here! Going to rummage round the freezer for a dinner in a second!

Have a good night all
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • rosieben
    Thanks MrsMc, Coq au Vin recipe is now in the recipe list

I've done well with NDS's this week, but tomorrow I need to shop for just a couple of things, also auntie thinks she might like a chippy lunch.

I've fallen off my meal plan this week which means I've not been eating properly so I'm working on a meal plan for the next 2 weeks to get back into a routine with it.

Get well soon vibes to all our poorlies, positive thoughts to anyone who needs, and a big welcome to our newbies

Good luck everyone!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,001Posts Today

8,173Users online

Martin's Twitter