Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 12
  • Herbaholic
    NSD? non spending day?
    Originally posted by rentawitch
    Hi rentawitch and welcome to the Grocery Challenge, NSD is no spending day as you correctly guessed, the lovely Spoon keeps us all on track on this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2502737 I only joined last month and I'm already up to 4 out of 14 NSD's that I've pledged this month. Like on this thread everyone is very helpful and supportive, hope to see you there.

Herby x
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 ; Jun £278.86/£275.00 ; May £276.13/£280.00
  • FelineFantastic
    Afternoon All!

Hi Rentawitch come and join the fun!!

Flat Eric- not sure that quark would make the mix frothy ( i use mine well after the use by date!)- could just be that you mixed it with a mixer?? I usually just mix it all together by hand! Have you cooked it yet? I bet it will be fine

NSD today *whoop whoop* Will update sig in a mo. Didn't manage it yesterday as walked to the health food shop *tut- no willpower*

Hoping to not need to shop until next week now tho- apart from snacks for multiple trips to surrey over the weekend to retrieve Uni boys stuff- use my Mr T vouchers for that *fingers crossed*

Off for second free dance lesson this week in a mo-- I lurve the free word

Have a great rest of the day everyone!
    June Budget= £151.41/£150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Slimming world Indian curried pork patties recipe
    Afternoon all

Herbaholic the patties recipe is in the SW simply summer book and here it is in case you don't have it..

Indian curried pork patties recipe
    serves 4
    free on EE or original and 14syns on green
    • 1 red chilli -deseeded and chopped
    • 4 spring onions -sliced
    • 2 cloves garlic -crushed
    • 908g/2lb lean minced pork
    • 2tsp ground cumin
    • 2tsp ground coriander
    • 1tsp ground ginger
    • 3tbs fresh coriander -chopped ...I miss this out
    • 57g/2oz natural yogurt
    • grated zest 1 lime -I don't use this either
    • seasoning
    • low cal spray -i don't use this either
    You will like this method ....
    whack it all in a bowl and squish until combined .... tada....

cover and chill for at least 30 mins
    • shape into 8 patties and chill until required
    Now then -the book says spray with oil and grill for 5-6 mins on each side.....
    I just drop them into a hot non stick frying pan to colour both sides and then transfer to a rack and bake in the oven --- I think the grill would be to quick to cook them through without charring the outsides
    Also -the recipe is for 4 people ..I do half the mix for us to and make 6 patties and have 2 each (I did the 1/2 mix between us the first time and it was to much
    here is what they looked like the 1st time I made them...with sauted potatoes n onions and salad mmmmmmmm
    ooohh and I think they are nicer re-heated the day after

Hope you like them
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 4th Jun 10, 3:45 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    I just got back from taking DD2 out for the day. We went shopping as she had some birthday money which was burning a hole in her pocket! I got £9 back from returned gammon in Costco, so we had our lunch there which cost £4, so £5 credit still Then we went to Birkenhead to see my friend, which meant £2.80 tunnel fees and when I was there I bought toilet rolls, barm cakes and Country life on offer (Country life spreadable was £1 for 500g). Spent £6.36 in there and car park was £1 so total spend was £5.16 Then we went to Boots and I bought ST's and some other toiletries and a present for ex OH's girlfriend's birthday all with some of my points so no spend there, and finally finished off in Tesco Home where I got a card and giftwrap for £3.00. Total spend was therefore £8.16 for the day. That is a major achievement for me as I am the world's worst impulse buyer! I did buy some T shirts for DD2 in TEsco but that was out of clothes budget so doesn't count

I am using the last of my large chicken for tea, and have some prawns defrosting so will do a large salad and have it with some jersey royals

Hope you have all had a good day!
    Last edited by recovering spendaholic; 04-06-2010 at 3:49 PM.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • wssla00
    A NSD today whoopie! Going to have a chow mein tonight. I'm so hungry I can taste it already!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • cookie9
    • By cookie9 4th Jun 10, 4:21 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 3,713 Thanks
    cookie9
    A few more bits and peices in Mr T - am going to a bbq tomorrow so making watermelon, feata nd olive salad to take with me. Treated myself to some smoked salmon as have made my chicken stretch out over last few days. Some leftovers tonight will be made into chicken and sweetcorn pancakes and the rest is in the slowcooker for chicken, sweetcorn and noodle soup. Spent £12.63
    Last edited by cookie9; 04-06-2010 at 4:32 PM.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • Herbaholic
    Indian curried pork patties recipe
    serves 4
    free on EE or original and 14syns on green
    • 1 red chilli -deseeded and chopped
    • 4 spring onions -sliced
    • 2 cloves garlic -crushed
    • 908g/2lb lean minced pork
    • 2tsp ground cumin
    • 2tsp ground coriander
    • 1tsp ground ginger
    • 3tbs fresh coriander -chopped ...I miss this out
    • 57g/2oz natural yogurt
    • grated zest 1 lime -I don't use this either
    • seasoning
    • low cal spray -i don't use this either
    You will like this method ....
    whack it all in a bowl and squish until combined .... tada....
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Many thanks Mrs Mc Love the method, I'd miss out the fresh coriander as I hate it, not living up to my name I know but some things are just yukky. I need a chilli and some more natural yogurt, DH finished what we had this morning, shall pick them up on Sunday when we go to A*di and we'll have them next, will adjust my meal plan now.

Herby x
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 ; Jun £278.86/£275.00 ; May £276.13/£280.00
  • Zend
    June Grocery Challenge
    First shop of the month yesterday. I spent £80 but managed to buy so much for that, hopefully will only need to buy essentials for the rest of the month. NSD day for me today. May go to a local farm tomorrow where they are opening a new farm shop and giving a talk on what to do with cheaper cuts of meat. A free day and lots of free food to try. My idea of heaven.
    January spend = £100
    Spent =
    saving =
    • winterfrost
    • By winterfrost 4th Jun 10, 5:27 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    winterfrost
    Into the second week now! (My GC weeks start on Fridays.) So far I'm £4.88 up! Will try to be good this week as well.
    GC: December: £145?/£120; January: £125.70/£120; February: £163.22/£120; March £113.94/£120; April £DOOM; May £Gave up; June £DOOM; July £160.78/£108; August £7.65/£200
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010: member 780
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 4th Jun 10, 5:34 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    45p spent on a packet of Fruit Pastilles at work yesterday

£3.51 spent in Tesco today on wraps (BOGOF), a bag of peas and a bag of chilli Kettle Chips. I couldn't resist the crisps as were on offer for £1 and they're my favourite, well they were, but I have a feeling they've changed the recipe as they don't taste as nice and have a funny smell Oh well, that will save me money in the future!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 4th Jun 10, 5:48 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi All,

Just popped on to update my siggy. NSD yesterday and today so very pleased with that.

Welcome all the newbies, you'll love it on here.

I don't normally work Fridays so today has been a busy home day, doing the washing, weeding, pruning, etc in the garden. And finally filled in the form for my Jury Summons so hopefully I won't get a humungous fine!

Oh and I'm so chuffed I managed to put my wizbang hose thingy together which is going to save my poor knee and shoulder which are starting to scream 'Not at your age!' due to the vast amount of watering needed with all the veggie pots.

Off to have a quiet sit for 10 mins on the patio.

Speak with you tomorrow,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 4th Jun 10, 6:29 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    popped into the co-op for stork as making chocolate crunch and spent £6.80!

Got some reduced fruit, the stork and 4 things that were on offer and cheaper than tesco so not all bad x
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 4th Jun 10, 6:54 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    hi i had to pop into i**land today to get t bags, sugar and cappucino's which were on offer for 1.50 a box also bought some aero choc drink for the kids so spent £5 exactly.. tonight im filling out my application form for a job so fingers crossed i get it as we really need the money
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • purplevamp
    • By purplevamp 4th Jun 10, 7:04 PM
    • 8,449 Posts
    • 402,846 Thanks
    purplevamp
    Got a few bits today, mainly veg from Ald! (78p) coconut milk x 2for1 from 99p Store (er... 99p!!) and cookies, chocolate & reduced bread from Somerfield (3.93)

DH will be doing a weekly shop on Sunday, so I'll update when that arrives!
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £121,090.26 Jan 2038

Swagbucks ~ £280 (2018 ~ £350)
    Surveys ~ £215.35 (2018 ~ £287.85)
    PTC, etc ~ $119.75 ~ (2018 ~ $287.34)

ďI Love You" "I Know"
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 4th Jun 10, 7:22 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Recovering Spendaholic - Glad you got your money back for the gammon. With things costing as much as they do I think we ought to take things back more often that we do if they not up to standard.

Went shopping a day late this week as was not at home yesterday and spent after coupon deductions £47.14 Did have to get a few extras though that we donít buy weekly such as washing liquid, mayo and sauces. Also have brought a free range chicken this week to see if can tell the difference as last chicken we had tasted of nothing at all and this one was obviously more expensive.

Will have to have small spend tomorrow as need bacon from the butchers and may need some cream as undecided if making a quiche or not in the week.

This weeks menus include chicken salad and new potatoes, left over chicken but not sure what will do with it yet, chilli & rice, jkt potato and hopefully left over chilli and maybe quiche if not probably pizza.
    Need to do some baking as well but again not sure what yet apart from malt loaf and a few cakes for the grandchildren - probably rice crispie cakes and ginger bread men which they enjoy decorating themselves.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH £62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    We are both housebound ATM, so SIL got a few bits we needed and she shops in expensive shops, so what would have cost us usually £6...cost £13. I asked for a bag of salad, so she bought the posh big bag which had todays date on it and starting to go soggy and was £1.99...cheddar 200g £2.95.....FR Eggs (6) £2.11.....5 bananas £1.77.....milk 1litre £1.22.....salted butter £1.61 and a creme egg

I appreciate her getting it for us but couldnt believe the cost!....she doesnt look for any bargains or specials and obvioulsy NOT the dates on perishables

Got DD and her friend a pizza tonight from Papa Johns as there is a 50% off first order. So they got a huge pizza and garlic bread for £10 and there is tons left for lunch tomorrow with soome salad.

Also bought a few offers from the milkman today....1kg Jersey royals for 99p, 12 cans of coke as DD has friend over for the weekend and its over £1 at the shops a tin for £2.19 for 12, yeo valley yogurts for £1 and a loaf of Kingsmill for £1...so £6.20 roughly there....so £29 roughly so far this month on nothing really....knew it would be an expensive month as we are pretty limited, but dont mind too much.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • brodie1
    hi,
    14.95 spend in tescos yesterday with the help of 7.00 voucher. Dh got MIL stuff in there to which normally comes to around 10.00 it was 14.00 in tesco, another reason we dont often go inthere. It has definately got dearer. F Foods 4.50 for milk .
    Today 11.46 in local deli health food shop, the owner had ordered me a 24 pack of Allisons yeast and gave me 10% off and I got some f r eggs 90p half a doz.
    Then 99p shop dowegberts coffee and lyons coofee, 3 lots of hayfever tabs and 2 bars of terrys milk choc (99p thr 2) for DS. So a total of 5.94 in 99p shop.
    Todays tea was a hm quiche using left over whoopsi sausages from yesterday and enough quiche for tommorow too hg salad, hm olive tear and share bread made with hm tapinade from some olives hanging around in the fridge (from the 99p shop).
    made some raspberry muffins with leftover rasps from DS breakfast smoothie and enought for him tommorow to
    So a good day all round.
    Brodie1
    Brodie 1/ july 300/330.62August300/322.49
    September 300/239.78Oct300/258.50Nov 250/282.24 December 300/300.01 JAN 2011 300/288.72 . September 300/319.19, October 300/351.59Three adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
    • tinkerbell73
    • By tinkerbell73 4th Jun 10, 8:42 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    tinkerbell73
    Well alot of spending happened today but in my defence i have got 8 children plus 2 of my own sleeping over tomorrow night in honour of my dd's 10th birthday - we are having barbq burgers and sausages, chocolate fountain (value chocolate) with strawberries (value), grapes (value) and marshmellows, lots of fizzy drinks, hot chocolate later in the night and crossiants or pancakes for breakfast. Also got enough food for all meals till payday (15th) may need some more fruit later in week but that should be it :-)

I visited pland for sweets, ffoods (milk, bread, apple and orange juice offers burgers sausages and a few bits ) and Mr S everything else spending a total of £53 which is half my normal spend - so total to date is £78 and i have enough food in theory to last till 15th long may this organisation continue :-)
    Been stupid but have no regrets starting to slowly sort my finances now the kids are growing
    • Purpleclutterbuck
    • By Purpleclutterbuck 4th Jun 10, 10:29 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    Purpleclutterbuck
    Phew! I've finally managed to catch with a little light reading of the posts! Good luck to everyone this month
    Please can you put me in for £280 for June -apologies for the delay-
    So far I've spent £37 AT W**trose and I managed to get a reduced joint of pork, beefburgers, lamb chops, organic meatballs and duck pate so the freezer is now well stocked for the next 2 weeks or so - I just have to get loads of veg and milk to s t r e t c h out the food -oats and lentils will have a starring role as well

Tomorrow I'm going to make home made bread and peanut butter cookies (from the front page)as I found several jars of peanut butter at the back of the cupboard - its a way of appeasing my OH and DD as they have agreed to eat the strange concoctions that I plonk in front of them and I'll make a banana cake and maybe a chocolate cake as a reward too!
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 4th Jun 10, 10:33 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 9,316 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Thanks folks for your kind thoughts.

Haven't seen DH today as I went to London to meet DGD1 (the oldest of our 9 grandchildren) - she's a teacher, so on half term. She has her younger brother (DGS1) staying with her, revising for his AS Levels. She gave us lunch, then she and I went to the Quilts exhibition at the V&A. Beautiful! - came back inspired to get the needles and threads out as soon as I can.

Got back here at 10pm after a hot and crowded train journey, and needed to eat. In the fridge was leftover toad in the hole - I nuked it in the microwave, then chopped 2 big tomatoes and the end of a cucumber and tossed them in a bit of dressing - very nice! And, drank a whole pot of tea (dehydrated!)

Might have a glass of red wine in a minute, hoping the cat doesn't do what she did the other day - jumped on my lap, swept her tail round and dipped it in my wine, then "drew" red marks on my pale aqua t-shirt!!

Spent a bit today - I paid for the V&A plus tea and cakes, but did take a flask of coffee to drink on the train this morning.

Back on the economy drive tomorrow, hoping not to have to buy any food. Will take DH some fruit, which he loves, but bought enough yesterday.

Good night everyone, have a good day tomorrow.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

4,738Users online

Martin's Twitter