June 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 26

New Post Advanced Search

June 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 May 2010 at 2:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
908 replies 77.2K views

Replies

• kunekunekunekune Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Yes, if I can find something to cook with them that will taste good reheated, that would solve the problem, but most chicken liver recipes I can think of wouldn't reheat very well.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Hello all :) hope you are well. Hoping for a NSD here today. Have to get some compost but that's from another budget :-P I have two weeks left of the budget so not going too bad. This weather means I'm not eating as much anyway, which can only be a good thing!
    Ok... off to sort out a nibble for lunch!

Have a good day all!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Hi everyone,

beautiful day here but I am staying close to home because I know if I go out and about I will spend, spend, spend and I don't need anything at the moment.

Have been out in the garden planting more bedding plants and I have also harvested some parsley which I will freeze in ice cube containers to use as I need it. Someone told me the more I pick from the parsley plant the more it will produce, so I am trying that.

Just going now to make myself some french toast for lunch as I need to use some eggs.
    Later I will look at what I have left in freezer. This last week or so I have been eating from it and using up random frozen food. Will also do quick check of store cupboard and then make up meal plan. Will then construct shopping list of any items I really need and order them from A**A. Have a free delivery for internet shop so I will also order washing powder and any other heavy items I need as it saves my carrying them. Lovely delivery man brings them right into my kitchen.

Hope you all have a frugal weekend and the sun shines on you.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • welshkazwelshkaz Forumite
    288 posts
    just spent £46 in mr m more than intended but thats husbands and kids for you eh by end of month we'l be on rations lol
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • recovering_spendaholicrecovering_spendaholic Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi - I am still getting used to this challenge so apologies if I keep asking stupid stuff! I have found that I am already reducing the total amount I am cooking for each meal so that my portion sizes are better - I used to cook loads and often threw leftovers away. I wanted to ask what you all include in the GC? Some of your targets seem really low to me and I just can't imagine ever achieving anything like them. There are three of us and a dog and I am including:
    all food(including eating out or cups of tea/coffee in cafes etc)
    laundry stuff
    dog food
    toiletries
    loo roll and kitchen roll
    bin bags etc
    hairdressers visits
    newspapers and magazines
    cinema visits
    birthday cards, gift wrap etc
    "feminine hygiene" stuff (this costs me loads as we are three females!)

What do you all include?

I need to get some bread and salad stuff today but am hoping to limit it to that as my Sainsbury's spend and save (£10 off £50) isn't valid until Monday.

Thanks for the replies to this. I have decided to take out hairdressers, cinema visits, tunnel fares and birthday cards/giftwrap and I will make a second budget for that. I am leaving my budget at £400 for this month though because I have been spending over £550 a month which is a disgrace:eek:. I have been to Aldi this morning and spent £8.28 on salad stuff, cereal, diet lemonade, bread, oven chips and dried fruit. When I got back I did a comparison with Tesco (on the website) and found that if I had got the same shopping there it would have cost me £13.06:j

Will now change my signature to take out hairdressers, birthday cards etc.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • freakyogrefreakyogre Forumite
    1.5K posts
    £2.04 spent today on grapes and toothpaste.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • franby64franby64 Forumite
    937 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    After avoiding the shops yesterday I've had a bit of a splurge today (ain't that always the way :eek:?).

I spent £8.05 in the C*op on milk, rolls and Jaffa cakes (which reminds me, I've hidden them!), and WW yogurts on offer which were treat for me. In T*sco I bought bacon, fruit and tomatoes spending £6.41.

Anyway, now I'm £8.43 over my weekly target with 2 days to go. On the plus side I think my weekly shop on Tues will be smaller than last weeks and I'm getting more idea about what gets used quickest.

I've still got 2 bags of polenta in the cupboard that I don't know what to do with - the main problem is I don't really like it. Same thing happened to me with tofu until I finally gave up on it. Any suggestions welcome!
    May Shopping Challenge. 10/5. Budget £310 Spent £118.25.. £191.75 left. So £9.13 a day.
  • booskyeboobooskyeboo Forumite
    98 posts
    Hi everyone
    A NSD for me today, I have spent a good deal of time in the garden, picked some spinach and noticed that I have got the starting of leaf miner infesation (on the spinach:laugh:), so have spent some time picking off the leaves and getting rid of them.
    Tea tonight was Butternut squash curry (SW recipe), rice and naan bread yumyum :D
    WW start date 31/8/2011 :j

weight lost so far:- 32lbs :T
  • recovering_spendaholicrecovering_spendaholic Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    franby64 wrote: »
    After avoiding the shops yesterday I've had a bit of a splurge today (ain't that always the way :eek:?).

I spent £8.05 in the C*op on milk, rolls and Jaffa cakes (which reminds me, I've hidden them!), and WW yogurts on offer which were treat for me. In T*sco I bought bacon, fruit and tomatoes spending £6.41.

Anyway, now I'm £8.43 over my weekly target with 2 days to go. On the plus side I think my weekly shop on Tues will be smaller than last weeks and I'm getting more idea about what gets used quickest.

I've still got 2 bags of polenta in the cupboard that I don't know what to do with - the main problem is I don't really like it. Same thing happened to me with tofu until I finally gave up on it. Any suggestions welcome!

My friend makes a lovely polenta cake which tastes lovely:

http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=14158 She said it was a Nigella recipe so I think this must be it!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi..just had a nice roast chicken tea...salad not veg with it...local butchers is selling 2 nice chickens for £7 they are very nice think i might go back and get some more

i prepped a bad of bramleys and 2 punnets of plums and put in the freeze yesterday...they will be nice for crumbles or pies...both were reduced to 30p so a bit of a bargain

off to ikea tomorrow and might manage a hot dog...and an icecream

bye tess
    onwards and upwards