June 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 May 2010 at 2:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
908 replies 77.5K views

Replies

• recovering_spendaholicrecovering_spendaholic Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    NSD today - yipee! I joined the sealed pot challenge and spent ages rummaging around the house and found £9.47 to start it off!

Had to go to a meeting for work this afternoon and on the way home went into Starbucks and treated myself to a cofee light frappucino! My friends and I always give each other a Starbucks card with £10 -£20 on it each birthday so we can always have a coffee from Starbucks if we are in Town. ATM I have £4.55 left on my card but it is my birthday in August so I will get at least £30 put on it then. It is a well better present than smellies or something IMO!

Have used mince from the freezer to make hm hamburgers for tea and we will have them with oven chips and salad. I reckon I have enough salad and fresh veg to last to the weekend and hope to only get salad and stuff and not do a supermarket shop until next week when I can use my £10 off £50 voucher.

Hope you are all enjoying the lovely sunshine!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Lindy_-_LooLindy_-_Loo Forumite
    802 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Spent £2 in netto on apples and nectarines and £4 in iceland on what we call fridge biscuits eg: kit kat, gold bars etc. I nkow we need to cut down on these and the cost so hoping these will last the month x
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • guccigooguccigoo Forumite
    483 Posts
    hi not been on for a few days the joys of half term ;)
    had my tesco delivery today which came to £59.02 plus spent £5.10 in mr sains, now to update sig :)
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • edited 4 June 2010 at 3:57AM
    Doom_and_GloomDoom_and_Gloom Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 June 2010 at 3:57AM
    We are going to be house and dog sitting for my parents this month for quite a while and they will be leaving us with enough dog food for the mutt, food for us as well as some money for food incase we run out of food :rotfl:. This means we don't need to budget for a full month so I'm going in for £50 this month please for 2 adults, 1 rat and 2 rescued chinchillas.

So far on our food we have spent £7.09 this month.
    For this we got; a sadwich (we were out and my partner was very hungry), bottle of water (it was very hot and I was very thirsty. We plan to use the bottle again for days out so not too bad), 11 bananas, 7 satsumas, 10 organic oranges, 6 peaches, a papaya, 8 carrots, 2 avacardos - 1 of which organic, chinese leaf cabbage and 1kg of baby new potatoes. So I think we have done very well for the amount of money :cool:.

We have also spent £9.87 on chinchilla food and timothy hay which should be enough for them for the month but we will see.

£16.96 spent leaving us with £33.04.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Maisie_MMaisie_M Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all

signing up for this month again. please could you put me down for £200 this month please.

Didn't track last month as I was mega busy and I notice the difference. Have already spent yesterday and today so will get the receipts and add it up.

• WinchelseaWinchelsea Forumite
    693 Posts
    ✭✭
    So cross with myself - thought I'd posted my June target, but it disappeared into the ether somewhere!

Anyway, hello all, and good luck for the month.

I failed for May - by £4.01 - so need to be more careful this month. I need to lower the target even though I failed, as DH is still in hospital and looks unlikely to come home any time soon, so obviously I won't use as much food. I have already ordered £19.32 worth from App. Foods, and shopped at Mr S. to the tune of £5.99, so I will, please, set my target at
    £100
    which means I have £74.69 left. I'll try to spend as little as I can on groceries, and plan that any money left over will go into my sealed pot. A good goal to aim for I think!
    Oh, I nearly forgot - I paid for my organic veg box yesterday, £11.65, so only have £63.04 left.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope your DH is okay Winchelsea.
    Jane

• HerbaholicHerbaholic Forumite
    304 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Good luck with the move Pipersky, hugs to Winchelsea I can't imagine what you must be going through but I'm thinking of you.

Mrs McC I've found some pork mince in the freezer and I have several Sl*mming W*rld recipe books but can't find the curried pork patties recipe and they sound really nice, could you let me know which book they're in or give me some clues about what goes in to them. No rush as the pork is still in the freezer but I'd like to use it up TIA :)

Just got my new total for the month so far, which for me is now 8 days in, and I've spent £60.61 out of my total £275 which is pretty good going for me as normally at this stage of the month at least £130 has gone, so I have just over 3 weeks to go and around £70 a week to spend and have only spent £60 the first week, NSD's really work! Anything left over goes into my holiday spends jar, and as I'm going away next month I have to do well. Hence wanting to use up the pork, I'm on a mission to use up as much as I can from freezer and cupboard before we go away. Better get a move on and get some stuff done, have a good day everyone.

Herby x
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hoping to have another NSD today. I bought a big pack of gammon in Costco a couple of weeks ago - the sell by date is 6 June and when I opened it yesterday it really smelled off. I would normally just chuck it but it cost £9 odd so I am going to try and return it this morning. I am nervous about taking it back in case they try and say that I stored it wrong but it was vacuum packed and I have had it in the fridge unopened. I still haven't got around to meal planning - I have a mental block about it:o

I think this thread is so inspiring. For the first time in ages I don't feel as worried about my debts so thankyou to everyone!
    Jane

• InTheRedInTheRed Forumite
    164 Posts
    Good morning!

Well not the best of starts to this challenge for me!
    I was in a bad mood and instead of walking to local superstore took the lazy option of buying cheese and pasta at hyper expensive local shop...:mad:
    Regret it this morning, so will have to get more organised in future. Total spend so far this month £26.75 which includes my organic veg box and organic milk.
    I have to go to MrT (which I loath going to), to restock the freezer - I would much rather buy guaranteed British organic produce, but I can't afford it:o
    February Grocery Challenge 262.50/250.00 - overspend - oh no!

March GC 0/300.00

Weight loss goal - lose 14 lbs by May 18th 2016 - so far 3 lbs lost
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides