Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 9
  • Long tall sally
    Hi everyone.
    NSD yesterday for me but over 100 spent on Monday on a Mr T delivery.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 2nd Jun 10, 2:19 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Went to Tescos and couldn't resist buying a few bits Stocked up on Dog Food and then bought some Jazz apples, fuji apples, granny smith apples (none of us will eat the same apples), pears, cucumber and spring onions (mix n match Bogof). I also had to buy a new broom because DD broke the other one. Total spend was 29.46, which also included a few bits (paper, pens etc) for my office (I work from home). Sorry to bang on about it but can anyone tell me what Harry Potter stew is?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Kadeeae
    I'm starting the "once a month big shop" this month - hoping only to have to pop to the co-op for milk, fruit & veg etc. Fingers crossed, so daunting trying to figure out a whole months goods in one go this first time! More planning this month so it will be easier come July.

Will update sig after delivery tomorrow . . . sooo scary
  • Ginger Snap
    recovering spendaholic- I have no idea what Harry Potter stew is, but could it be a sort of magic money saving stew, conjured up from apparently nothing?! (Maybe using whatever meagre ingredients to magic up a delicious meal?) Am only guessing...
    • hex2
    • By hex2 2nd Jun 10, 3:59 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Mr T home delivery was the usual frustrating experience - half out of stock including dog food and unsalted butter and the usual stupid substitions (refused) which is very frustrating on a once a month shop. note to self - no discount voucher is worth it although I now have a 10 credit and 9 off a 90 for next month. I have had to order a Mr S for tomorrow or the dogs dont eat .

Food plan needs a major re-think as my DH will now be at home all of the time till he sorts a new job so I have to include his lunches. He is a meat at every meal person so this could be complicated and expensive! I knew all of those chickens in the freezer would be useful. He also plans to use the unexpected free time on getting fit and doing some buildings works so I am guessing extra carbs. Time to re-jig the Mr S order.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 2nd Jun 10, 4:48 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi All,

There seem to be so many newbies joining which is brilliant. Welcome and good luck to you all.

We had a very quiet BH - apart from Eurovision on Saturday! - but it was lovely. Managed three NSD in a row (Sun, Mon, Tue) but had to go to MrT today to top up milk, flours for the BM and baking, cheese, butter, squash, juice, yoghurts, etc. Quite pleased as the total came to 36.95 and we shouldn't need too much more, except meat from the butchers and f&v from greengrocers, before next week. Well that's my plan!

I had quite a nice surprise when I was updating my spreadsheet just now. I pay little attention to the annual budget we've set us other than to update it with the siggy. But it struck me that at the end of May we reached the end of our first quarter at which point we could have spent 750 but the total was only 686.87. Another demonstration of how fantastic and effective the support on this board is. So thank you, you are all wonderful.

The baking mullarkey must be getting under my skin because I got up on Monday, realised I hadn't baked with the GD on Saturday (had an appointment so she wasn't here as long in the day) and actually missed it so got on with making some! See, you all inspire me!

Right I'm off now. keep up the excellent work and good luck for the rest of this loooooonng month.

All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • 3431Anna
    • By 3431Anna 2nd Jun 10, 5:11 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    3431Anna
    Hi can i join the grocery challenge please could i be put down for 200. This is only a guess and i hope to spend less, I will just have to wait and see how it goes i will keep recepits to add up for next month
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 2nd Jun 10, 6:53 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    Hello, 2.00 spent in farmfoods on milk, bread and fruit juice. Havent spent much at half term as DS2 toilet training and we havent ventured far just family and had children here to play.
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • wssla00
    recovering spendaholic- I have no idea what Harry Potter stew is, but could it be a sort of magic money saving stew, conjured up from apparently nothing?! (Maybe using whatever meagre ingredients to magic up a delicious meal?) Am only guessing...
    Originally posted by Ginger Snap
    Oh sorry guys! HEE HEE.... it is a magical broth using all the old bits and bobs but also.... it has steak and an ale called the dark lord... hense Harry Potter Stew!
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
    • Souk08
    • By Souk08 2nd Jun 10, 7:21 PM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 18,070 Thanks
    Souk08
    Hi all, doing okay so far and menu planning like a mad thing so so far I have only spent 8.98 of my 20 budget. Wish the rest of my spending was as good as this!!!
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 2nd Jun 10, 7:30 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Oh sorry guys! HEE HEE.... it is a magical broth using all the old bits and bobs but also.... it has steak and an ale called the dark lord... hense Harry Potter Stew!
    Originally posted by wssla00
    ooh! does it have a recipe or do you just chuck stuff in? I had a phone call from ex dh's new partner this afternoon - she was moaning about him and the conversation (well she talked and I listened) went on for over an hour - it really threw me and I ended up giving DD2 and her friends money to go to the chippy for their tea because I couldn't face cooking or eating - so that was another 8! I must try and have NSD's until Saturday! STILL haven't done a meal plan so will have a go later.
    Last edited by recovering spendaholic; 02-06-2010 at 7:34 PM.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • wssla00
    Well... The base of it is:

carrots, 2 celery sticks, onion all chopped into chunks, beef shin (so not really steak), a tin of tomatoes, the dark lord ale (LOL) and any other veggies lurking about in the bottom of the fridge. Oh and a bay leaf!

Add all the veggies to a casserole pan with a teensy bit of butter, soften a little, add the beef shin, then add the tin of tomatoes and the ale and the bay leaf put the lid on and cook for a long time- about three hours is usually ok for melt in the mouth beef on a medium heat in the oven.

I always serve it with fresh warm bread! It is the ultimate comfort food!
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
    • pipersky
    • By pipersky 2nd Jun 10, 7:41 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    pipersky
    Hello everyone

Spent 7.50 today on washing powder, baby wipes and sponges. The tiddlers are sick at the moment and I have used loads more wash powder and wipes than usual this week to clean them and their beds sheets/beds/clothes/teddies etc etc etc over and over again. They have generously passed to me so I have eaten the sum total of a banana today... Must eat something else soon though as am starting to feel a little light headed!

Hope everyone else is OK - sounds like everyone has been to a cracking start this month. Anyone seen LongTallSally? She was a bit down in the last thread and can't recall her posting yet this month... ??
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady

A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • katenut
    I've just realised i forgot to set my target for this month!! Can you put me down for 150 this month please?
    Trying to jump back onto the moneysaving wagon ....
  • welshkaz
    well it wasnt a nsd after all a 10.75 spend in coop after slimming world today really out of fruit and veg and had some whoopsies of king prawns and chicken breasts for 2.40 for the 2 so a bargain ...
    may groc challenge 167/280...
    • cw18
    • By cw18 2nd Jun 10, 9:09 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    Do you include stuff like kids haircuts in the GC? DD2 has very long hair which currently looks like a halloween wig and needs to be cut and thinned out. I rang the hairdressers and it will be 15 to wash and cut it. I was going to include this in my month's spend. Also need to buy dog food today and am hoping to get round the supermarket without giving in to temptation........
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    I didn't include my 'cut and colour' (that came out of my 'everything else' budget) and don't include dog food (that has its own budget as well)

My GC budget is JUST for food and drink.... even toiletries and cleaning items come under another budget for me
    Cheryl
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 2nd Jun 10, 9:15 PM
    • 4,504 Posts
    • 33,115 Thanks
    boultdj
    Spent $34.47.
    • cw18
    • By cw18 2nd Jun 10, 9:16 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    NSD yesterday

Spend of 3.85 today, which included 2.56 on Whoopsies with shelf ticket prices of 15.92
    Cheryl
    • wmf
    • By wmf 2nd Jun 10, 10:06 PM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 21,637 Thanks
    wmf
    Haven't posted in here for a l o n g time but trying to stick to grocery budget this month. Rounding up last couple of days to 20. That includes a pack of 2 frozen wild salmon steaks from Lldl. Hope they are good. Were only 1.99 so thought they are worth a try. They also have Hinz beans for 1.50 for 4. the pack had 2 extra tins free so quite a good deal really.
    Thanks for the motivation everyone
    w
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 2nd Jun 10, 10:25 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 9,379 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Spent 3.90 at the weekend on some mustard - bought 2 jars as it's one I'm not able to get in the supermarket where I do my weekly shop.

Weekly shop today came to 8.35 so total for the month so far is 12.25.
    Decluttering 344/2019
    Deleting old emails 9/2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,050Posts Today

6,945Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: It's said we're divided between the haves and the have-nots. Which group do you feel you are in?

• Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• Follow Martin