Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Apr 10, 2:53 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Apr 10, 2:53 PM
    May 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Apr 10 at 2:53 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-04-2010 at 5:30 PM.
Page 3
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 29th Apr 10, 6:37 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    ooh new thread
    please could you put me down for 300 for may thankyou
    its 130 less a month than before but we have had some unexpected bills and need to cut down

i have done my menu plan for this week using the recipes from this thread - I find it hard sometimes finding inspiration for meals and they have really helped
    • newroadahead
    • By newroadahead 29th Apr 10, 8:43 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    newroadahead
    This is all new to me but as suggested I have been saving my receipts since 21st April so should have a better idea for next month.
    As a guess can I say 240.00 for May

Many thanks

NRA
    NewRoadAhead
    Debts Sep 2009 35,000.00
    Debt Free November 2014
    Member 51 1,0000 emergency Fund
    October GC /250.00
    • peskie pixie
    • By peskie pixie 29th Apr 10, 8:52 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    peskie pixie
    Thanks for the shiney new thread.

Could you put me down for 80 again this month, please.

Went slightly over again this month, think it was because they had a certain brand of reduced fat cheese on offer in Mr A at 2 instead of the usual 3+ so stocked up. (It's not on offer anymore so won't be buying any in May!!)
    "A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." Franklin Jones
  • rachbc
    arrrrrggg - my online order has arrived and I can't ft it in the freezer!! I also thought I'd done a store cupboard check before I ordered but I appear to have a stupid amount of pasta!
    • natlie
    • By natlie 29th Apr 10, 9:40 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    natlie
    Hi
    this is my first attempt at the Grocery Chllenge I usually spend about 400 with the extras for 4 of us I want to get this down to 300

As a thank you for letting me participate I will donate my fave soup recipe:

Carrot, leek and butterbean soup:

500g leftover, going out of date or fresh carrots
    1 large leek
    1 onion
    1 standard (fullsize) tin butterbeans
    1 pint veg stock
    salt pepper
    herbs etc

Simple soup soften everything in some i
    oil/butter add herbs and stock cook until soft

add beans and blend until smooth - beans thicken it so no need for flour

season

yummy
    Debt: 33,400
  • Joanie72
    Um . . . hello folks. Total Newbie here, so please forgive my diving in.
    I've been budgeting 200 a week to feed 2 adults, 2 kids, 4 cats, a dog, a rabbit, 3 extra kids every other weekend, and cover petrol, clothes and toiletries for all. That also covers days out and such.
    I've been trying to cut back, but reckon this challenge will help.
    My donation: Pasta and sauce recipe.
    One tin of tomatoes, some basil, an onion and a decent squirt of tomato puree. Fry veg, chuck everything else in and the longer you leave it to bubble away the better. Add grated cheese, bacon or sliced sausage if you're feeling flush!
    Trying to be better . . .

May GC 330/600
    May NSD 2
  • Joanie72
    Doh . . . forgot to say I'm going to take the chip away option, so reckon 10% cut this month should help. That works at an obscene sounding 720 for May. Surely that's loads?!
    Trying to be better . . .

May GC 330/600
    May NSD 2
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 30th Apr 10, 6:59 AM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 12,937 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    108 for fiance, me and 2 old rats please for 1st of May to 31st of May.
    We did go over our budget for April . I'm hoping we can stay in budget for May or I may have to think about putting the budget up when I'd rather it go down.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 30th Apr 10, 7:29 AM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 53,193 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Please put me down for 280 for May. Not brave enough to go lower yet but am working on it. Many thanks
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 317.17
    Emergency Fund 3260/10,000
  • highland fling
    Good morning everyone,

well tomorrow I fill up my GC purse again. Keep all GC money in another purse and use that cash. I think if I use "real" money instead of "virtual" money it keeps me more disciplined as I can see the money disappearing and I am less likely to make impulse buys.

Souk08- can I ask how you manage on 45 pounds a month? What do you include? Maybe you wouldn't mind passing some of your tips over to us who struggle a bit. I would really appreciate it.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
    • savingforoz
    • By savingforoz 30th Apr 10, 7:51 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 5,807 Thanks
    savingforoz
    I'll go for 60 for May!
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 30th Apr 10, 8:45 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    ....loads of ideas for weddings on a small budget on here. The important bit is the getting married - not a huge party, fancy clothes, exotic honeymoon, etc...The Special Occasions Board is really good for doing things on a budget. Plus I agree with the sentiment that the 'marriage' is the most important aspect of any 'wedding'. You only have to look at all the slebs who've reportedly spent 100s of 1000s & it's still gone wrong And if you do 'quiet' now, you can always save up for 'blow-out' to celebrate a milestone anniversary..just a thought....
    Booger! I've got into buying this for my many cups of tea (was previously using red Cravendale) I noticed that the Sainsburys orange milk was more expensive at the weekend than when I last bought it - although I can't remember if I bought it on an offer......
    Originally posted by greent
    I'm afraid I've got a bit carried away with all this money-saving after following the 4k & associate Challenges last year. I've set myself up some spreadsheets & now absolutely everything I buy or pay, is recorded on there. cw18 has an excellent version & other info is on the current thread HERE but I'm still new to pootary stuff & have got a system that I can manage for now Anyhoo--in my land there are columns for price per kilo, value of any special offers [whoopsies go in there too], pack weight & where I bought it. There's sections for meter readings, vouchers I've been able to use, gifts & so on & for the purpose of the Grocery Challenge, anything I define as an 'Other' is excluded. This could be a loaf I've bought for me muvva or a new bowl for Pup but basic toiletries, first aid stuff, batteries etc goes in 'Store' & IS included. It's been a while to get it this 'organised' & I anticipate further tweaking will continue, but on the whole it's working for me Tis surprising when you look back a couple of months...
    108 for fiance, me and 2 old rats please for 1st of May to 31st of May.
    We did go over our budget for April . I'm hoping we can stay in budget for May or I may have to think about putting the budget up when I'd rather it go down.
    Originally posted by Doom_and_Gloom
    I think we'd all like it to go down, but when our favourite toothpaste goes up 6p a time AND it's a store's own
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 30th Apr 10, 9:04 AM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...i need to go to the bank and fill up the gc purse...left from last week 0 unusual i normally have a few bob left but im spent up

im going to head to tesco later to have a look at the cooked chicken...down to 2 but i think they are small so ill prob not bother....i also need too get fruit and veg....and decide what we are eating over the weekend

have a nice day
    tess
    onwards and upwards
    • aplaceinthesun
    • By aplaceinthesun 30th Apr 10, 9:06 AM
    • 743 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    aplaceinthesun
    Hi all

Not been keeping control lately and really really want to change that and need to as well !! I guess I have to get my head round meal planning and being organised enough to stick to it! There are 3 of us (DH, teenage DD and me), 7 cats and 2 dogs. I am aiming for 320 this month please, may have to have a rethink onincluding the cats in this budget though, will see how the month progresses.

Good luck to everyone for May and many many thanks to those who keep these valuable threads running. x
  • Kadeeae
    Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone good luck for May's challenge

May we all come at least 1/4 under budget! Well you can't stop one from dreaming can you?
  • Trinny
    Hello All

My Budget will again be 150 please.

Thanks

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May 39.47/55. June 47.20/50. July 38.44/50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 30th Apr 10, 10:56 AM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 14,550 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Thanks to all those who run this thread.

Please put me down for 150 this month. Have managed quite well on 200 for the past 3 months so need to up my challenge

Thank you

• jackieglasgow
    Thanks for the new Fred ladies! Can I please be put down again for 300? This is to include all domestic spends, including Window cleaner, petrol, dog stuff etc. Blew the budget in April, but hoping some of my "grow your own" stuff will help, and have a good supply in and stuff from Approved Foods. We need a fingers crossed smiley!
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • EastMidsGal
    I hope this is the right thread, I have a great OS recipe someone has just sent me from a different site. I hope you like it. I am going to try it out this month.

CHICKEN ADOBO

Here is one of my favourite meals - a simple, popular at-home dish for many Filipinos. Usually served with plain white rice. No strict recipe but the following has been replicated successfully so far:

Several chicken pieces with skin (whatever - legs, thighs, whole chicken cut up)
    1 onion, chopped (not too small)
    3-4 tbsp of cooking oil (yes, it might seem like a lot)
    3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
    200ml dark soy sauce
    1/3 cup white vinegar
    1 c water
    A few (2-3) bay leaves (I like to use more, depending on size of the dish)
    1 generous tbsp sugar
    freshly ground black pepper
    Optional - potatoes, a few small ones, peeled and chopped. This is not a traditional ingredient but it tastes soo good with!

Use a large pot. Best to use a pot which can accommodate all the chicken pieces in more or less one layer.
    Rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces. Saute the onion in the oil. Add the chicken pieces and stir fry for a few minutes until sealed. Add the garlic as the chicken is browning. Now mix the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and water together and add to the pot. Stir well. Add the bay leaves and the pepper. Stir again and bring to boil, then reduce to moderate simmer (add chopped potatoes now if using), covered, on low heat for about 30 minutes.

Basically the liquid should almost be level with the meat at the beginning. So after practice you'll be able to adjust the liquid amount accordingly for more or less meat. The proportion of soy/vinegar also can be adjusted to your taste. Some people use more vinegar, some use a lot more garlic (like a whole head) - it is up to you. Also works well substituting pork or mixing pork and chicken. A classic "tastes even better the next day" dish, if you are lucky to have leftovers.
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 30th Apr 10, 11:46 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    ....head to tesco later to have a look at the cooked chicken...down to 2 but i think they are small so ill prob not bother...
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    I got one on Weds as I was later getting home than I thought. It was described as 'large' & although it didn't look it we've managed 6 decent portions off it, if that's any help.
    Doh . . . forgot to say I'm going to take the chip away option, so reckon 10% cut this month should help. That works at an obscene sounding 720 for May. Surely that's loads?!
    Originally posted by Joanie72
    I thought 7a day was being generous for 4 adults, 2 pets & everything included like bin bags, but then realised that came out as 50p per person per meal & 50p per pet per day. That is very low go so I've gone up another 50p per day.
    "2 adults, 2 kids, 4 cats, a dog, a rabbit, 3 extra kids every other weekend, and cover petrol, clothes and toiletries for all. That also covers days out and such." If perhaps you took the extra children & added on the rabbit & two of the cats, you could say you are budgeting for 5 humans, 2 cats & a dog every day. Three meals x 5, + 1 x 3 = 18 separate meals. 720 divided by 558 gives you 1.34 per meal x 18 = 24:12 budget a day. Doesn't sound as much then

All I've done is confuzzle mesen really, but this is a little of how I work my budgets. I began my Grocery Challenge with an 'all in' figure & slowly--over the months--have found what I can and cannot change. Using the very basic formula I've created above, I then have a better understanding of what is realistically achievable.
    Sorry if I've bored you all yet again
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

24Posts Today

4,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin