Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Mr Falling Star
    • By Mr Falling Star 8th Mar 10, 11:26 AM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 3,769 Thanks
    Mr Falling Star
    • 8th Mar 10, 11:26 AM
    I agree about the oranges being the best buys as they are the squares most often landed on, but aren't the dark blues also just as important because with one fell swoop you can destroy your opponent?
    The World come on.....
    • Noz
    • By Noz 8th Mar 10, 11:26 AM
    • 3,606 Posts
    • 3,404 Thanks
    Noz
    Or you know, play for fun.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 8th Mar 10, 11:41 AM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 8th Mar 10, 11:41 AM
    • 8th Mar 10, 11:41 AM
    I agree about the oranges being the best buys as they are the squares most often landed on, but aren't the dark blues also just as important because with one fell swoop you can destroy your opponent?
    Originally posted by Mr Falling Star

The problem with the dark blues is to build them up at speed is tough early in the game as developing is so expensive. Later in the game its fine though - plus as there are only two of them the odds of people landing on them regularly enough to provide income are lower.

In many ways early on in the game I prefer the browns as while you still have the lack of landing odds - you can build to hotel status very cheaply.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 8th Mar 10, 11:47 AM
    • 9,959 Posts
    • 13,247 Thanks
    bylromarha
    • 8th Mar 10, 11:47 AM
    • 8th Mar 10, 11:47 AM
    I need to have words with my mother.

Had she explaned what mortgaging was at the age of 8, I would have wasted far less of my life sitting at that stupid board, aligning my money in neat denomination piles tucked under the edge of the board whilst my rolls royce made its way round again and again and again.

When my kids get to Monopoly age though, I shall beat them throughly with this method. Cheers!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 8th Mar 10, 11:54 AM
    • 11,848 Posts
    • 11,390 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 8th Mar 10, 11:54 AM
    • 8th Mar 10, 11:54 AM
    The other advantage of the oranges is the "go back 3 spaces" chance card that can land your opponent on Vine Street...
    • Gorgeous George
    • By Gorgeous George 8th Mar 10, 4:16 PM
    • 7,797 Posts
    • 8,484 Thanks
    Gorgeous George
    • 8th Mar 10, 4:16 PM
    • 8th Mar 10, 4:16 PM
    It is time for a MSE board game (I assume it hasn't already been done).

Cards could include...

Bank error in your favour... but not the Courts - stay where you are peasant.

You mortgaged with Skipton... pay 100 for each of your houses.

The squares could include...

MoneySaversArms and other forums

Go directly to bankruptcy Court

I think I need some help here.

GG
    Last edited by Gorgeous George; 08-03-2010 at 6:25 PM.
  • bunglejemson
    • 8th Mar 10, 4:30 PM
    • 8th Mar 10, 4:30 PM
    Sorry Martin, but that advice is just plain wrong.

In fact, you're likely to lose quite quickly that way, especially if you're playing with fewer players.

WHY?

Because you're not factoring in the chance cards, in particular the 'make general repairs on your buildings' (not to mention the school fees, insurance and super tax which will eat up any GO money).

If you mortgage properties to fund development, what backup do you have if you get street repairs, other than to sell houses massively undervalue, which leaves you with a bunch of mortgaged properties and nothing left to raise funds from.

Sorry, but this is a bad tactic. Stoozing doesn't work in monopoly!

Source: I play monopoly perhaps 3 - 5 times every week (and normally win!)
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 8th Mar 10, 4:39 PM
    • 10,463 Posts
    • 37,979 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 8th Mar 10, 4:39 PM
    • 8th Mar 10, 4:39 PM
    Or you know, play for fun.
    Originally posted by Noz

I realised early in life that Monopoly is never fun, particularly when other people have weird rules & say 'but that's the way we play it in our family'

Give me Scrabble any day
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 8th Mar 10, 5:26 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Sorry Martin, but that advice is just plain wrong.

In fact, you're likely to lose quite quickly that way, especially if you're playing with fewer players.

WHY?

Because you're not factoring in the chance cards, in particular the 'make general repairs on your buildings' (not to mention the school fees, insurance and super tax which will eat up any GO money).

If you mortgage properties to fund development, what backup do you have if you get street repairs, other than to sell houses massively undervalue, which leaves you with a bunch of mortgaged properties and nothing left to raise funds from.

Sorry, but this is a bad tactic. Stoozing doesn't work in monopoly!

Source: I play monopoly perhaps 3 - 5 times every week (and normally win!)
    Originally posted by bunglejemson

I disagree 100% - of course like all borrowing to specualte there's a risk here - but its limited and with the cash emergency fund that you have aside should mostly cover it. If it doesn't well you may have to take the drastic measure of selling some houses - not good as its a 50% loss, but enough to get you through a cash flow hurdle

Course there are two ways to settle this - either a game (with other players too to help eliminate chance issues) or the Harry Hill method
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Gorgeous George
    • By Gorgeous George 8th Mar 10, 5:36 PM
    • 7,797 Posts
    • 8,484 Thanks
    Gorgeous George
    Can I be the banker?

GG
  • Errata
    Harry Hill method Pse post vids in the Arms
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 8th Mar 10, 9:20 PM
    • 5,499 Posts
    • 9,639 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    The problem with the dark blues is to build them up at speed is tough early in the game as developing is so expensive. Later in the game its fine though - plus as there are only two of them the odds of people landing on them regularly enough to provide income are lower.

In many ways early on in the game I prefer the browns as while you still have the lack of landing odds - you can build to hotel status very cheaply.

Martin
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    Yep you were right in your blog Martin; you sir are a total geek!

But in a nice way
    • max2002ad
    • By max2002ad 8th Mar 10, 11:04 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    max2002ad
    I think there should be an MSE pdf guide to monopoly !! Then i might beat my family once in a while!!
    I like the MSE game idea Gorgeous george!!
    My Motto in Life:

Make Every Penny Count !!!!
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 9th Mar 10, 10:26 AM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 2,881 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    Martin is spilling my playing secrets too

Whenever possible I buy oranges for the jail rolls, browns and light blues at the beginning for low cost building, with green and dark blues later whenever possible if the game drags as a 5/40 chance to wipe out the opponents cash
    • Gorgeous George
    • By Gorgeous George 9th Mar 10, 11:17 AM
    • 7,797 Posts
    • 8,484 Thanks
    Gorgeous George
    I think there should be an MSE pdf guide to monopoly !! Then i might beat my family once in a while!!
    I like the MSE game idea Gorgeous george!!
    Originally posted by max2002ad
    But we need more squares and cards.

Replace Mayfair and Park Lane with RBS and HBOS.

Replace Regent Street, Oxford Street and Bond Street with Downing Street, the FSA and the High Court (as they are so close to the big banks).

We'd need a lot more than two utilities following the split - some would need French names. But we should have less railway stations after Beeching. Landing on a railway station could have you sent to jail for lewd offences.

Replace 'Chance' with 'No chance' and 'Community Chest' with Quantitative Easing'.

There should be two GO squares. One for the rich and another, a few squares back, for the workers.

We still need more squares.

GG
    Last edited by Gorgeous George; 09-03-2010 at 11:20 AM.
  • Joan79
    Train stations are the best spots in the game.
    • Gorgeous George
    • By Gorgeous George 9th Mar 10, 2:21 PM
    • 7,797 Posts
    • 8,484 Thanks
    Gorgeous George
    On the MSE board there should be one train station - thetrainline.com. Rather than having a lot of utility companies we could have just one dual fuel utility or uSwitch.

Another card... Congratulations, you found tunechecker.com, collect 10 from any player who downloads music and 20 from those who don't (this replaces the beauty contest card).

Instead of houses and hotels we could have flats and coffee shops.

Come on Martin, let's have it in the shops by Christmas. MSEopoly.

GG
    Last edited by Gorgeous George; 09-03-2010 at 2:24 PM.
  • mr_jetlag
    It is time for a MSE board game (I assume it hasn't already been done).

Cards could include...

Bank error in your favour... but not the Courts - stay where you are peasant.

You mortgaged with Skipton... pay 100 for each of your houses.

The squares could include...

MoneySaversArms and other forums

Go directly to bankruptcy Court

I think I need some help here.

GG
    Originally posted by Gorgeous George
    Cards for the MSE Game:

"You have successfully reclaimed mis-sold Purchase Protection Insurance. Collect 100."
    "The High Court has stopped your appeal to reclaim Bank Charges. Skip your next roll."
    "You got your Council Tax rebanded! Pass GO and Collect 200!"

I think an MSE game based on Monopoly could be a winner - especially if Martin's such a Monopoly geek.
    • cooldude255220
    • By cooldude255220 9th Mar 10, 7:09 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 7,778 Thanks
    cooldude255220
    I disagree 100% - of course like all borrowing to specualte there's a risk here - but its limited and with the cash emergency fund that you have aside should mostly cover it. If it doesn't well you may have to take the drastic measure of selling some houses - not good as its a 50% loss, but enough to get you through a cash flow hurdle

Course there are two ways to settle this - either a game (with other players too to help eliminate chance issues) or the Harry Hill method
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    *Trying to resist* *Eyes Twitching* *Hands Shaking* Oh it's no use!
    Fightttttttttttttttttttttttttt!
    2017 MSE Wins: Kitchenaid Mini Stand Mixer | Ridgemonkey Power Pack | Bundle of Yorkshire Crisps | Vax Blade | 200 Meal for 6 at Smokehouse
    2018 Wins: Sky Q for a year | RAINS Jacket and Bag
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

1,305Users online

Martin's Twitter