The pain of watching people misplay monopoly – and an embarrassing display of geekdom

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• Mr_Falling_Star
    Mr_Falling_Star Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree about the oranges being the best buys as they are the squares most often landed on, but aren't the dark blues also just as important because with one fell swoop you can destroy your opponent?
    The World come on.....
  • Noz
    Noz Posts: 3,869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or you know, play for fun.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    Options
    I agree about the oranges being the best buys as they are the squares most often landed on, but aren't the dark blues also just as important because with one fell swoop you can destroy your opponent?

The problem with the dark blues is to build them up at speed is tough early in the game as developing is so expensive. Later in the game its fine though - plus as there are only two of them the odds of people landing on them regularly enough to provide income are lower.

In many ways early on in the game I prefer the browns as while you still have the lack of landing odds - you can build to hotel status very cheaply.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I need to have words with my mother.

Had she explaned what mortgaging was at the age of 8, I would have wasted far less of my life sitting at that stupid board, aligning my money in neat denomination piles tucked under the edge of the board whilst my rolls royce made its way round again and again and again.

When my kids get to Monopoly age though, I shall beat them throughly with this method. Cheers!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The other advantage of the oranges is the "go back 3 spaces" chance card that can land your opponent on Vine Street...
  • Gorgeous_George
    Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2010 at 8:25PM
    Options
    It is time for a MSE board game (I assume it hasn't already been done).

Cards could include...

Bank error in your favour... but not the Courts - stay where you are peasant.

You mortgaged with Skipton... pay £100 for each of your houses.

The squares could include...

MoneySaversArms and other forums

Go directly to bankruptcy Court

I think I need some help here.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry Martin, but that advice is just plain wrong.

In fact, you're likely to lose quite quickly that way, especially if you're playing with fewer players.

WHY?

Because you're not factoring in the chance cards, in particular the 'make general repairs on your buildings' (not to mention the school fees, insurance and super tax which will eat up any GO money).

If you mortgage properties to fund development, what backup do you have if you get street repairs, other than to sell houses massively undervalue, which leaves you with a bunch of mortgaged properties and nothing left to raise funds from.

Sorry, but this is a bad tactic. Stoozing doesn't work in monopoly!

Source: I play monopoly perhaps 3 - 5 times every week (and normally win!) :D
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Noz wrote: »
    Or you know, play for fun.

I realised early in life that Monopoly is never fun, particularly when other people have weird rules & say 'but that's the way we play it in our family'

Give me Scrabble any day ;)
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    Options
    Sorry Martin, but that advice is just plain wrong.

In fact, you're likely to lose quite quickly that way, especially if you're playing with fewer players.

WHY?

Because you're not factoring in the chance cards, in particular the 'make general repairs on your buildings' (not to mention the school fees, insurance and super tax which will eat up any GO money).

If you mortgage properties to fund development, what backup do you have if you get street repairs, other than to sell houses massively undervalue, which leaves you with a bunch of mortgaged properties and nothing left to raise funds from.

Sorry, but this is a bad tactic. Stoozing doesn't work in monopoly!

Source: I play monopoly perhaps 3 - 5 times every week (and normally win!) :D

I disagree 100% - of course like all borrowing to specualte there's a risk here - but its limited and with the cash emergency fund that you have aside should mostly cover it. If it doesn't well you may have to take the drastic measure of selling some houses - not good as its a 50% loss, but enough to get you through a cash flow hurdle

Course there are two ways to settle this - either a game (with other players too to help eliminate chance issues) or the Harry Hill method :D
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Gorgeous_George
    Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
    Options
    Can I be the banker?

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure