Free Holiday - Sugar Reef Travel Club

Options

Comments

• Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I could not really imagine driving to aberdeen, thats a good 16-18 hour drive at a guess from the midlands.

16 to 18 hours would be about right, for a mobility scooter in reverse. :rotfl:
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • Kenny_Powers_3
    Options
    I could not really imagine driving to aberdeen, thats a good 16-18 hour drive at a guess from the midlands. Other option is a nice overnight train.
    You're the knob im stuck behind every morning en route to work aren't you?

Driving along at 25mph in a 60mph without a care for the mile long queue behind him......
  • tiannaleigh
    Options
    I would stay clear of things like this if I were you,if you keep looking on teletext late deals,in july which was in the school holidays I quite often seen a deal to a 3*AI to costa brava for £112 pp,and this was from my local airport as well, so if you look about you can find just as cheap and have more of an idea about the holiday your going on
  • james10999
    Options
    3*AI to costa brava for £112 pp,

Thanks for pointing that out - however I have no intention of ever visiting such a tourist trap in Spain like that in my life!!!!

I would be taking the Worldwide option or nothing.

I've decided with my partner to no go for this - thank you for all to comments which you have supplied. I think the deal breaker is that some people have been successful getting these holidays and then being taken to a cash machine whilst over there as they did not qualify for the holiday and asked to pay for the holiday. No thanks!!

Dam - I went through that timeshare presentation for nothing!!! :cry:
    Mortgage as Sept 2012: £96,000
    Mortgage free: When i'm 39 / Sept 2023

Mortgage repayment = £588
    Tracker Rate 1.99% above base: 2.49%
  • costapkt
    costapkt Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations, you will not regret it.:T
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Too many variables are missing to call this a good deal. Allied this to the fact that the people running it have a vested interest in the transaction - they want your cash.

Seems to me the business plan is to get people out there at cost price (or a small loss) and run the sales there. Much like women, people are more favourable to an approach once they're on holiday :)

My unequivocal advice is: don't do it.

Plus the Spainish do not have as strict laws on time share selling as this country, no cooling off period there!
  • james10999
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Plus the Spainish do not have as strict laws on time share selling as this country, no cooling off period there!

I would NEVER go to spain.

The countries consider were Florida, Mexico or Domincan Republic.
    Mortgage as Sept 2012: £96,000
    Mortgage free: When i'm 39 / Sept 2023

Mortgage repayment = £588
    Tracker Rate 1.99% above base: 2.49%
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    james10999 wrote: »
    I've decided with my partner to no go for this - thank you for all to comments which you have supplied. I think the deal breaker is that some people have been successful getting these holidays and then being taken to a cash machine whilst over there as they did not qualify for the holiday and asked to pay for the holiday. No thanks!!

So you read those posts now, then. :) Those are the ones I was referring to in my comment about people ending up having to pay for their accomodation due to some loophole in the T&Cs.

I think you've made a wise choice.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • bclark
    bclark Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    james10999 wrote: »
    I would NEVER go to spain.

The countries consider were Florida, Mexico or Domincan Republic.
    Why on earth would you never go to Spain? Spain is a lovely country and you are missing out if you rule it out because you think the enitire place is like Benidorm. You are actually far more likely to end up in a grotty cheap environment on a cheap long haul holiday than you are going to Spain.

Its also quite ironic that you say you wouldn't go to Spain and yet the countries you lost that you would go to are very hispanic places.
  • karencrad
    Options
    If you put on a post like this you will invariably get a load of negative replies - people are naturally suspicious and think "there's no such thing as a free lunch". My husband and I, along with my sister and her husband have been on several free holidays with timeshare companies and yes you do pay an admin fee so it's not entirely free but it is extremely cheap! What's more the accommodation is very high quality, you do have to attend a presentation for half a day, some more pushy than others, but you get wise - never say you don't want to buy because you can't afford it because they'll try and sell you finance - say you could afford it but it's not your thing and they'll leave you alone. It is a nuisance if you have to put several dates but often if you ring up to negotiate they'll be more obliging - my sister managed to fix a date in the school holidays as she's a teacher! Don't forget they want you to go because they get commission whether you buy or not. The bloke who said you can get as cheap on teletext will get just that - cheap accommodation, I've done that before and ended up with a very crummy studio, timeshares are usually very luxurious and high quality. Some of my friends have bought into them and are very happy with what they've got. I choose not to. I've never been on one with Sugar Reef travel but it sounds quite a good deal to me. If they've been going for 5 years someone would have closed them down if they were an out and out scam. Let's face it you could book with a reputable holiday firm and they could go bust as people are finding out this week! Pity you didn't go I say. Maybe I'll try them myself!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure