Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 6th Oct 09, 2:07 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,560Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Money Moral Dilemma. Would you hand in a camera you found on a beach?
    • 6th Oct 09, 2:07 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma. Would you hand in a camera you found on a beach? 6th Oct 09 at 2:07 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

You find a £100 camera on the beach during your foreign holiday. There’s no one around, and you sunbathe for two hours, waiting for the owner to return. At home you always hand valuable items to the police, but here you don't speak the lingo, know where the station is or even how these things work. Would you still make the effort to hand it in?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Archna; 07-10-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Page 1
  • Noggin the Nog
    • 6th Oct 09, 2:37 PM
    • 6th Oct 09, 2:37 PM
    I'd certainly make the effort. I'd hand it in at my hotel (where presumably they would speak English); if they couldn't understand me I'd just keep approaching people until I found someone who spoke English and could tell me what to do; if I couldn't find such a person I'd get onto the internet and use BabelFish or a similar translation site, which tells me that "I have found this camera. How can I return it to its owner?" is "Ho trovato questa macchina fotografica. Come posso restituirlo al relativo proprietario?" Of course they would have to write the reply down so I could translate it back!

If I lost my 100 camera I'd certainly hope someone would make a similar effort. I think it would be quite good fun giving it a go - it's always entertaining trying to communicate in a language you don't really know (especially for the locals!).
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 6th Oct 09, 2:49 PM
    • 10,795 Posts
    • 23,930 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 6th Oct 09, 2:49 PM
    • 6th Oct 09, 2:49 PM
    No moral dilemma for me either, I'd definetely make an effort to hand it in, after all, I would like someone to do the same for me, so I'd do the same for them.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 6th Oct 09, 3:37 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    • 6th Oct 09, 3:37 PM
    • 6th Oct 09, 3:37 PM
    I'm another one who'd try to hand it in - either take it to the hotel/ask around to see who spoke English, or grab my phrase book and see how far that got me. I think I'd just feel too guilty to keep it.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 6th Oct 09, 4:51 PM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    • 6th Oct 09, 4:51 PM
    • 6th Oct 09, 4:51 PM
    id hand it in because id wish somone would hand mine in if i lost it also if you kept it you dont know what kind of pics are on there and they could get you in to trouble
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
    • Diesel44
    • By Diesel44 6th Oct 09, 7:53 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    Diesel44
    • 6th Oct 09, 7:53 PM
    • 6th Oct 09, 7:53 PM
    Yes I would make an effort to hand the camera in, after having some fun taking some weird and wacky shots.
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 6th Oct 09, 8:01 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 6th Oct 09, 8:01 PM
    • 6th Oct 09, 8:01 PM
    100 is nothing compared to the sentimental value of someone's pictures.

Hand it in is the only option. Who couldn't find a police station in a strange country in less than an hour?
  • elcoline
    • 6th Oct 09, 10:38 PM
    • 6th Oct 09, 10:38 PM
    Of course I would hand it in. I'd take it to a police station or if it was private bech to the associated hotel etc. I'd want someone to do the same for me.
    • hieveryone
    • By hieveryone 6th Oct 09, 10:42 PM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    hieveryone
    • 6th Oct 09, 10:42 PM
    • 6th Oct 09, 10:42 PM
    I'd look at some of the photos and see if there was a familiar face on the beach

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • stationaryace
    as others have said, I would take the camera back to my hotel and explain the situation to get some local advice. having lost a camera on holiday once i know how much it sucks!
    when the first cup of coffee tastes like washing up she knows she's losing it
  • poet123
    I most certainly would. Either ask at the Hotel,or go to the local police station, a camera is or can be quite sentimental.
  • beckyjanecolley
    I'd 100% hand it in - the value of the camera is irrelevant but the photos on their would be priceless to their owner (especially holiday snaps).
  • s2000
    What a really patronising comment. Speaking for myself, a well travelled, savvy adult:rolleyes: I would rather hand in a camera and hope that it was eventually reunited with it's owner than not do so, in some misguided attempt to be perceived as euro savvy:rolleyes:

I have travelled widely In Europe, and always found kindess and compassion in the people of most countries, given a chance. I think your comment is more of a salve to your conscience than a truly representative view of the European view of lost property.
    Originally posted by poet123

Nope, you're over-complicating it. Hand it in to an Italian cop and they'll have it for themselves. Sorry, it's not about being "perceived as euro savvy" it's just the way it is.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 6th Oct 09, 11:58 PM
    • 5,469 Posts
    • 9,061 Thanks
    Gavin83
    I'd probably just leave it there. I really don't believe for a second that if I handed it in at a local police station in Italy it would get returned to it's owner. Then again I'd have no use for it so wouldn't take it for myself.

I think the best thing to do is leave it behind and hope the owner traces their steps.
    • BeenieCat
    • By BeenieCat 7th Oct 09, 12:03 AM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    BeenieCat
    Not a chance. Jonny Foreigner is a sub-human species. I would check the camera, and if the pix appeared to be a Brit's I would attempt to trace them...if they were plainly a foreigner's then the camera would become mine.
    Originally posted by richwhome
    LOL, i think a lot more people would agree with this than they'd ever let on.

• jonuk
    • By jonuk 7th Oct 09, 2:06 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jonuk
    First post. My mate lost my camera on holiday a few weeks ago. One thing to remember is that if you lost your camera, would you go to the police and to see if it had been handed in? The thought never crossed our mind to do that, and even if it had we wouldn't have bothered ( a bit too cringey because we don't speak the lingo).

We did have a good idea though. Next time we go away I'm going to take a picture of my name and phone number and maybe the hotel I'm staying at. If anyone finds the cam the chances are they'll look through it and seek us out, I think most people are good Samaritans if you make it easy for them
  • twinkie-em
    We did have a good idea though. Next time we go away I'm going to take a picture of my name and phone number and maybe the hotel I'm staying at. If anyone finds the cam the chances are they'll look through it and seek us out, I think most people are good Samaritans if you make it easy for them[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea!

I'd hand it in to the nearest bar or hotel, cos that's where I'd ask if I'd left my camera on the beach. I actually wouldn't look at the pics but if I did it certainly wouldn't make any difference if the person appeared to be British or foreign! I'm not actually sure how you'd know the difference anyway unless they were waving a flag!!!
    I'm a brand new newbie
    I just can't resist a freebie!

• Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 7th Oct 09, 7:07 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    I would just leave it there. Someone else can find it or the owner can return for it.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 7th Oct 09, 7:56 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I definitely would hand it in. Not only are photos priceless but I had my PDA taken and lost some precious, irreplaceable photos of myself and a friend before he died...I lost the PDA after he died and with it, the only pictures of him/us. Sod the PDA, I'd have done anything for those photos. If some kind person had given it back to me, I'd have been so grateful. I couldn't hurt someone else the way whoever took mine hurt me.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • Frequent Flyer UK
    Camera on beach
    As a word of warning consider the country you are in. A friend of mine once worked in Saudi Arabia and picked up a wallet he saw on the pavement and was looking for a policeman to hand it to. Unknown to him he was seen on CCTV and the Police had been called and he was detained, spent best part of a day in the station accused of theft . He was released without charge after intervention of a company lawyer .

I think to this day if he sees 10p on the floor he crosses the road
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,579Posts Today

9,939Users online

Martin's Twitter