Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    25th Jun 09 at 3:57 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-06-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 39
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 23rd Jul 09, 11:34 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Hello everyone been missing for a while but still doing challenge Mrs Mc can you please put me down for 300 from 24 July to 24 August managed to just go over a little bit for July spent 312 for month will definately have to keep to this as tomorrow is OH last pay cheque since being made redundant and as yet no job offers although he has had a few interviews so fingers crossed

good luck everyone for the month
    February grocery challenge 200
    • taka
    • By taka 23rd Jul 09, 12:28 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 17,346 Thanks
    taka
    Oh dear... I've felt kinda poo for the last couple of days and have ended up buying loads of rubbish. I have the grand total of 1.85 left for rest of the month! Oh dear... I doublt its going to work is it? Oh well...

On a more frugal note Farmfoods appear to be doing 500g bags of penne pasta for 39p which sounded good. I think thats cheaper than the value pasta 500g bags... Oh they have 285ml bottles of encona (sp?) sweet chilli sauce for 1 too. I'm addicted to this stuff! Yummy on toasted cheese or with potato wedges...
    2019 MFW #51 364.10/500
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • DizzyK
    Hello all

Can I just say first of all what a lovely ingenious bunch of folk you are?? I love reading these boards
    Please could I join you for August? Our budget has wavered around 400 (give or take 100 or so!!) for the last 5 years for Food/Toiletries/Household/Booze shopping despite changing from a couple to a family of 4 during that time. We're still doing nappies but no more formula and I'm trying really hard to get it down a bit month on month at the mo as DH has just been told he's got a wopping pay cut coming in September and whilst he *should* get commission to compensate I don't want to rely on it iykwim. That can be for extras and clearing debts!!

All that waffle aside, I'm really proud of doing under my 375 this month and would like to try for 350 this month. Freezer's starting to thin out a bit already though!!
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 23rd Jul 09, 12:47 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Well I have blown it -as anticipated I have gone just a bit over with this last big shop of the month. I shouldn't need more than a few bits of veg before next Thursday, so I am hoping to keep the overspend to under 5. But with DD1 back home Tuesday and leaving for Germany on Saturday I expect there may be a bit of 'comfort' eating and treats involved! Mind you, she has offered to cook and pay for a meal for her Dad's birthday on Wednesday so we might be ok.

On the positive side I have managed to avoid food shopping on 20 of the last 30 days so that's progress!

I'm off to update my sig and catch up on the thread - then I will have to do some serious planning for August. I won't declare until next Thursday. Good luck to everyone and hold fast all those of you who are teetering on the brink!

At least the sun is shining for once!

Moniker
  • annelouise
    G'day again,

Since posting 1 have had 3 NSD and am planning another one tomorrow and Friday as it's a bank holiday here.

Had noodles with sweetcorn and left over chicken curry tonight with yogurt.

Have a mishmash of packed lunches for tomorrow -

cupcakes,twinks,muffins,mini pasties,veg sticks and dip,sandwiches,rice cakes,wotsits,apples.

We are going to the water park and I will give the kids $2 each for an icy pole or a drink and that's it for the day.Free entry and we're meeting several other families there.

Meal planner going well.All in freezer or store cupboard.

Lasagna ( from work lunch - thanks Weezl ) chips,peas
    Mac n cheese
    Slow cooker pork casserole,pots,broccoli,peas
    Teriyaki kebabs and wraps
    Egg,bacon and beans
    Nasi goreng
    Chicken tenders and chips with beans
    Fish,chips,peas
    Toad in the hole
    Jkt potatoes various
    Pizza with toppings
    Spag bol
    Pasta with pesto and cheese

OH is away for another 22 day's so I am being frugaltastic.

Cherry tomatoes and peppers and herbs looking good.I might get a few tomatoes ready next week they are reddening nicely.Have requested some compost from a friend to start my next lot's of pots of cucumber and courgette.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 23rd Jul 09, 5:01 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Hi,
    As payday is tomorrow I would like to declare on -17.99
    I am a bit disappointed but I have now got my sack of rice which will keep me going for a few months. Without it I would have been in credit by 2.01. I would like to try for 240 again next month please

Grocery challenge 75/250 business mortgage 13798))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan 7116=Total of 20914, 69% paid off was 68105 Weight to lose 42lbs 0 to go!! PPI claimed and received 11117 Save 12k in 2017no 116. 0/5000
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Dancing Shoes
    How do I know if I have been added to the challenge?
    : rotfl:
    • cw18
    • By cw18 23rd Jul 09, 5:48 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    When the new thread goes up, Mrs M will have a list of people in one (or two!) of the early posts. Check there, and if she missed your request to be added, just ask again
    Cheryl
  • eckythump
    We aways feel like this, and really with a bit of planning its not biggie

Last night we were supposed to have chicken curry, but it was so hot we didnt fancy it. The sauce will stay in the cub, the veg will get used, so we had chicken salad- using our new growing leaves- instead. We might have the cury tonight. If the veg looks likeit might go off, then ill probably cook it in the curry sauce and then freeze it for another day. if the weather stays hot I proably wont want it till the weather cools a bit.

We often just have a liston the fridge with the options that Ive bought in, and then we can pick and choose. However if weve got something going off that we cant save then we will have that soon - eg lets have salad to finish that lettuce. But pretty much everything can br frozen. I probably have about 40 combinations at the mo, - eg the mince can be used for about 15 meals. So we jsut choose what we want to do with it. If we want HM burgers- then we need bread to go with. IYSWIM.
    Originally posted by lynzpower
    Same here,
    we never stick to a rigid meal plan.
    much better to pick n mix with what you have.
    also this forum is very good if you have something to use up but lack inspiration.
  • eckythump
    ok this reallyisnt going according to plan ...were having problems sticking to the menu ...yesterday for example went to a friends house so that she could teach me gallo pinto (pronounced guy yo peen to) so made that seems easy enough cheap enough and something i think i will make occasionally ....there was plenty left over and friend didnt want it so i got a doggy bag home .....there was enough for hubby and i for dinner and enough for me for lunch (oh no lentil soup again then surprise surprise) now i had it with brocoli (sp) and potatoes and hubby had it with sausages chopped and mixed in with a baked potato side salad etc ...

but the problem is ...i am not eating what was on the menu therefore i have loads of food that shouldve been eaten by now not eaten ...which is going to be good next week when i need to do a shopping but in the meantime not so good cause we aint sticking to a plan....

hubby has taken another couple of pounds out of the tub of doom so i dont have enough to buy his drink etc ...but have counted the pennies out and will be taing them to the bank later on and cashing them in ...so we should be ok for money this week ...but what about next week and the week after ....

i dont think this menu planning is working for us ...i really feel as if i am being dictated to by food ...i feel like i have enough things in my life i have no control over what so ever (law politics work etc) so food was one of the few things i could say hey you know what i fancy ..... for dinner so i'm gonna have it ... it feels kinda like a loss of freedom

and i think this mught be where the problem lies ...i am not going off on one when hubby declares nope dont fancy that for dinner i want ....not that i like going off on one but i am not even saying to him well you know you agreed to eat .... i am just saying well go and have what you want then

so ...i dont know how i am going to tackle this ...and believe me i want to tackle this i will make this 8 a day work ...it has to work i cant afford for it not to ....did anyone else have issues similar when they started?
    Originally posted by elantan
    You really need to sit hubby down and explain the reality of this,everyone would love to be able to pick and choose what they eat and drink but the fact of the matter is if you can't afford it its not a choice.
    I know its a difficult transition but you need to stick at it,as it does get easier.
    • mama67
    • By mama67 23rd Jul 09, 6:51 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    That's what the elder 3 children do/have done although DD takes pack ups as she does a week in college then a week in a childcare setting (she's doing a Childcare Diploma) and it's easier for her to have extra time at lunchtime to catch up on written stuff.

DS1 & DS2 come home 'starving' every day it's like filling up bottomless pits They both top 6' and are always playing some kind of sport so it's only to be expected I suppose The high school has a swipe card/finger recognition system for lunches so I give them money to put on it once a month & request a statement twice a term so I can see what they've been eating
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    Have jsut had some info through that our secondary school is also considering bringing in a swipe card system ( I did suggest it to one of the liason teachers at open night). My 2 are also always playing sport and now school hols are here they are constantly on the go.
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 23rd Jul 09, 7:03 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi all,

A NSD for me today. Worked this morning and MIL very kindly had the 3 children for me. We arranged to meet up at a new garden centre and she had already bought them lunch when I arrived, and then bought me lunch too. Bill came to over 34 which is absolutely atrocious given that DD had beans on toast and DS2 had a 4 item snack box. Daylight robbery. Luckily MIL doesn't have money worries and wouldn't be seen dead in MrT, MrM or MrA preferring Waitrose and M&S - if only!!!

Made the coca-cola chicken yesterday in my SC as we were out at a theatre matinee. It was okay but the sauce was very watery - flotsom and jetsom (sp?) - edible only because we were all starving!!! Any idea where I went wrong?

Spaghetti and meatballs for tea tonight - nomnom. Keep willing the courgette plants to produce - loads of flowers, no courgettes yet. Desperate to try the courgette muffins recipe!!

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 23rd Jul 09, 7:12 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi Everyone. Just popping in to update have to add another 147.18 which I have spent over the last two weeks. School holidays are difficult especially with teenage boys constantly asking is there anything to nibble?? Good luck everyone.
    MFIT Challenge save 40k
    48828.05/46842.89/-1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 23rd Jul 09, 7:29 PM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    I agree, I think picking adn choosing can only work if you have a heavily filled freezr. Im fortunate that I do , so when Im passing a butchers i can buy nice meat and freeze itfor whenever. However if you ar only on a really tight budget, it might not allo for too much choice without some level of waste.

You really have to bulk freeze in order to stickto the budget, im thiking veggie tagines/ lasagnes/ 5 bean chilli./ soups/ casseroles/ stews/ pasta sauces.
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 23rd Jul 09, 7:34 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 10,929 Thanks
    JayneC
    Spent yet more today!! Went to Aldi for bread and ended up spending a fiver!! Could've been worse though I didn't have a 1 coin for trolley so had to carry stuff. If I'd had a trolley probably would've spent more!!

New month starts tomorrow so will declare at 312.33tho if I include takeaways it would be 348.14!!!

Will try harder next time. Please put me down for 250 again for August and hopefully I'll do better next time.

Jayne x
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 23rd Jul 09, 8:01 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 24,039 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    I have printed enough weekly planners to last me the next year just need to ensure that I sit down every week/every couple of weeks and plan menus. I am already being good. I resisted the dine in for 10 m&s meal deal today. The menu looked nice but I have *plenty* of food already and 10 is 10....

I am trying to be inventive with what I eat and use the stuff I have already. Tonight's menu included roasted veg (leek, baby pepper, baby onion, red onion, spring onions, sweet pointed pepper - all lurking in my fridge just waiting to grow legs!!) roasted in the oven and served with an uncle bens stir fry sauce, thin cut steak, and a satchet of wok rice. The stir fry sauce should have been eaten by May but looked fine and I havent keeled over yet I could have saved even more money by defrosting steak but I wasnt very organised yesterday and forgot to take some out but I managed to buy some that was on offer in somerfield so only an expenditure of a couple of pounds.

I have my menus planned up until Monday morning so plenty of time to work out next week's menu at the weekend.

EDIT - I am also trying to be economical with what I cook i.e. not cook say two packs of wok rice when one sufficed (and then end up throwing a quarter of my tea in the bin....)
    Last edited by Flat Eric; 23-07-2009 at 8:04 PM.

• ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 23rd Jul 09, 8:10 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 7,125 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Haven't posted for a while but have been lurking.
    Thought it was time for an update.
    So far this month have spent 49.70 on groceries.Would have been a lot less if I didn't buy fruit .
    There's only me so I must start behaving .
    ilovetea x
    #17 Make 2019 in 2019. 1,538.03.
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 23rd Jul 09, 8:21 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Thought I was doing very well with the budget with one more weekly shop to go and lots of stuff in cupboards and freezer to work through............but OH (bless) thought he would be frugal too and went to Aldi and spent over 8, mostly on veg, potatoes & fruit........we don't need!! So now have another 6 green & red peppers to add to the three already in the fridge and another bag of new potatoes!!:confused:

What could I say? - he thought he had got some good bargains.
    So decided to slice and freeze the six peppers and bag up for use at a later date, (good tip from these threads) freeze one of the small steaks he bought (he ate the other one) and hope the tatties don't start to sprout before they can be used up.

Still hope to come in well under budget after this weeks shop though and maybe reduce next month a bit more again - we'll see. Just need to update signature now.

• skint_spice
    • By skint_spice 23rd Jul 09, 10:14 PM
    • 11,226 Posts
    • 23,638 Thanks
    skint_spice
    i really feel as if i am being dictated to by food ...i feel like i have enough things in my life i have no control over what so ever (law politics work etc) so food was one of the few things i could say hey you know what i fancy ..... for dinner so i'm gonna have it ... it feels kinda like a loss of freedom
    Originally posted by elantan
    Hi Elantan, just stumbled across this tonight but maybe to help you get your head round the lack of freedom you could look at it as a means to an end - the end being DFness and eventually MFness which would give you lots more options in regard to retiring early or more travel...also less money to the supermarkets which I think would appeal to you too!

I meal plan but there are usually things in the freezer for "just in case" which usually means there was a chicken based meal planned and I forgot to defrost it! we all need some flexability so don't stress too much and don't expect to conquer it all at once - babysteps remember...
    5000 by December 2018 721/5000
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 24th Jul 09, 9:12 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Went over to DD1's place yesterday evening to collect her bike and a few other things prior to her move next week. She had been emptying her freezer and had a bag of frozen spinach going spare. I had forgotton to take a cool bag but we wrapped it in a bag and stuck it into another bag of dirty washing I was taking away. This morning I went to put a load of washing on and found - you guessed it - the spinach partially defrosted inside the bag! Fortunately it didn't leak into the clothes! Anyway I had a quick look at my recipe books and found a recipe for spinach soup so it didn't go to waste. Here's the recipe if any one else would like to try it (courtesy of the St Michael Freezer Cookery book circa 1975!)

Spinach Soup

25g butter
    1 small onion peeled and finely chopped
    15ml cornflour
    450ml chicken stock
    salt and pepper
    pinch of nutmeg
    225gms frozen spinach

Melt butter and gently fry the onions until soft and transparent (about 5 mins). Stir in the cornflour and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add the stock gradually, stirring all the time. Add the seasoning and nutmeg and bring to the boil. Add the spinach and cover the pan, simmering gently for 15 mins and stirring occasionally. Puree and taste and adjust the seasoning. Cool quickly and then pour into containers to freeze.

To serve, tip frozen soup into a pan and add 120ml creamy milk and reheat gently until boiling point. Reduce the heat and stir in 30ml double cream (swirl on top). Serve with croutons. Enough for 4 people.

I used half an onion as mine was a bit big and I had a bit more than 225gms spinach which was partially defrosted. I also used vegetable stock as we want to eat it today and it is Friday. I won't be adding double cream but may use the milk or some creme fraiche. It's a lovely colour!

Have a loaf in the BM and have just made a chocolate sponge for OH's birthday. Off to tackle the ironing now...

Catch up later.

Moniker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,326Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin