PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Must admit with the soap nuts, that they escaped their little bag and left brown bits all over the washing...looked like someone had pooped in there...:o

But washing smelt clean:rotfl::rotfl:
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Not done very well this month, well over budget:(

Still.......... new month starts on Friday so try harder next time.

DS 2 keeps bringing friends round for tea!!!! need to come up with some cheap 'standby' recipes for when he does that.

Well off to see what I can make for tea tonight. See you all soon,

Jayne
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I've lost track of what I have spent or should I say what DH has spent as he's the one that keeps nipping off to the shop to buy essentials and then keeps coming home with bargains!:eek:

So for the month of August I'm going to try for £300, although this is higher than July the kids are at home and eat loads but I'm going to try and use the list suggested by someone else [sorry but I forgot to make a note of your name]. DS is easy to feed but DD is faddy about food and would exist on carp if she could, which she can't!

I think my spend is about £285 but we still have 10 days left so will be over but I did cut it back drastically from the month before when I estimated that we were spending about £350 a month on food so although we haven't hit target we will still be under. And to be fair I may of cut it back too far to start of with. DH is working for 2 weeks of the summer hols [he works in a school] so that will help as he won't be able to pop down to the shop.

Helen:o
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    FLAT ERIC - thanks for that, I'm gonna try something along those lines

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't do bad at all when shopping. It came to £67.26 so have added that in the total. I've still got to go to Aldi tomorrow for some nectarines x 2 packs, bananas x 2 packs, peppers x 2 packs and a bag of new potatoes which should come to £3.43 by my reckoning provided each bag of bananas doesn't come to more than 49p each :rotfl:

I've just had a look at the menu plan for tomorrow and it's tortilla wraps with grated carrot & ham with salad leaves from the garden for lunch and pasta bake for tea. Should keep the starving hoardes happy for a while! I fed 7 people tonight as DS1 had a friend round. I used 3 chicken breasts, 2 onions & 3 peppers and made a korma with rice - it was all eaten and approved by the children :D
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi....hope all are enjoying the summer holidays...ours are going well but the rain is a pain...hopefully it will get better

i made chicken fried rice for tea...great way to use up bits...quiche tomorrow....and spag bol friday i think...i might make a bit extra and make a pasta bake the day after

i was in the coop today and theyhad lots of bbq type products reduced...i got some ribs that were reduced to £1 and they were nice...might try some of the other stuff on the strength of them...when they are reduced of course

blimey it will soon be august...and then christmas

on that note ill bid u all good evening
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear, another £7.74 spend on an emergency dinner and lots of fruit as our two boys came back off their holiday super early and we'd been eating toast and being lazy for dinners this week, and didn't have any fruit in

Sigh... this is not going well.... plus I've just remembered we have DS2's 2nd birthday BBQ in a couples of weeks time. I see myself waaaaaaaay over budget already :eek:
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • Dancing_Shoes
    Dancing_Shoes Posts: 419 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2009 at 8:33PM
    Options
    Hi, Can I join the grocery challenge for August? I would like to put down £380 for august.

Does this have to run from the 1st? I am in my August money already as pay day is mid month
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Does this have to run from the 1st? I am in my August money already as pay day is mid month
    You can run it between any two dates of your choice :)

But the new thread goes up in the last few days of a month, as the majority of us probably run closer to calendar months than anything else ;)
    Cheryl
  • hermoine_2
    hermoine_2 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Had to go to Mr T today for essentials, Milk, bread and fruit! £7.50, DH went to the local shop yesterday and got DD3 the stuff for her packed lunch for school trip and I am not sure what he spent! So have updated my signature but I am going to be over again, it was a 5 week month which I had not factored in so my second month at this and I will have gone over. Not sure whether to increase the amount or try harder!

We are away for a lot of august in our caravan so will take some money from grocery budget and some from entertainment. I think I will increase for August as DD3 home and we will be away but will try again for £250 in September when we return to normal.

I hate to think what I used to spend when I was not paying any attention!!!!

H
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport