July 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 June 2009 at 9:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
924 replies 70.3K views

Replies

• cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even the boys (8,5.5 and 3) now think in terms of how many ice creams or days out we can save by trying something different for tea.
    Ice-cream seems a good one to use for 'kiddy calculations' :rotfl:

My GDs constantly pestered for ice-cream after school (I pick them up) from the van that parks up outside the gates. After numerous tantrums when I refused, I simply stopped taking my bag/purse at pick-up time.

I then explained to them that for the cost of just one ice-cream from the van I could buy a full tub from the shop - and the cost of a second would buy sauce and sprinkles. So that made them think about how long that one tub, sauce container and tub of spinkles would last - and the light seemed to dawn.

I then went to the local supermarket with my younger GD to pick up the ice-cream (already had the other items in my cupboards), and she started to select one of the dearer ones. So I quickly pointed out how many of the cheaper tubs I could buy for the price of the one she was asking for - and she was more than happy for the cheaper one to come home with us :j

The discussion at the supermarket freezer highly amused a couple of other shoppers -- probably in the main 'cos younger GD is just turned 4 :) (The elder one is 6 next month).

They're now much happier about 'bargaining' over after school snacks - and if I have to go down the shops after pick-up (having unexpectedly run out of something like milk) I no longer get pestered to buy things they spot...... instead I get "I/we like that xxxxxx. Have you got anything like that at home that I/we can have?"

Did a small shop in Mr A yesterday. Had to go and pick some stuff up for DD (who's housebound as younger GD has been 'diagnosed' over the phone with swine flu!), and DS has been desperate for a trip there to get new footwear (he found some trainers reduced from £14 to £3.50, so was well happy as he pays for his own clothes from his EMA). He dropped a few bits into my trolley I wouldn't have bought (milk shake, large baguette, and corner yoghurts), but paid for the first, most of the second, and checked for the best deal on the last (8 for £2 rather than a 6 pack for £2). My part of the bill came to £7.10.

Today is an NSD (takes me to 13 so far this month), so now just over 77% of the way through the month with just under 54% of my monthly budget spent. I currently have £28.07 'in hand', so along with a £2 off a £20 spend (till spit to be used by Sunday) and 2x£10 gift cards (from a survey site) am planning to menu plan for August this afternoon and do the freezer / cupboard shopping tomorrow - and all without busting my July budget :confused:
    Cheryl
  • edited 24 July 2009 at 1:34PM
    PuddleglumPuddleglum Forumite
    851 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 24 July 2009 at 1:34PM
    Hi All!

Life is just about to get challenginging at Puddleglum Mansion. We have MIL staying for her 2 week summer holiday with us and I am going to have to fly off to Scotland to help DM look after her croft while DF is in hospital for an indefinite stay. He has dropsy due to a dicky heart and needs juicing. (I can't get the picture of Violet from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory out of my mind, where she has to be juiced back to her normal size!):eek:

DS is off on holiday for the next week so this will leave DH, MIL and DD to grapple with the grocery challenge and the freezer. Can they do it?

I have put all of the easy meals and bread in two drawers of the freezer.. There is a veg box arriving today and I will spend the £5.29 left from this months challenge (still 1 week to go for me) on tins and easy stuff.

Will declare at the end of next week and let you know how successful they are.:cool:

Good Luck for August everyone.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Just on to update sig as my milk bill became due today.

Have realised that DH and DS1 will be away for a whole week this month on scout camp. They are easily the biggest eaters in our house (even tho' DS is only 10). That's going to make a huge difference to the budget, as DD, DS2 and myself will be able to stretch the meal plan I've made for the month. We are also away as a family for a week, and I've saved some money up for meals/days out so will only use the GC for the essentials.

Thunder and lightning here - no incentive for going out and spending money :rotfl:

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: A Pair Tree by Susan Hillis Designs
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • scotsaverscotsaver Forumite
    824 posts
    Hi everyone - I'm back in the land of the living after being without Full Electricity since Monday.:eek::eek: We live a few miles away from Dartford and I don't know if it made the National News but 100,000 homes were cut off from Electricity at Lunchtime on Monday and we were not restored until 9am the following morning and then we had 3 hours on and 6 hours off while they carried out repairs and we were only fully restored at 9pm Wednesday night.

Luckily nothing lost from either Freezers but had to throw out a few things I had freshly made on Monday morning as I had no cooker to cook anything in. I have also not been able to use Breadmaker so had to go out and buy Rolls & Bread, had forgotten how expensive they are and also how awful they taste.

Anyway, I have a few receipts to tot up and then I shall update my total as my month finishes on Sunday and I shouldn't need anything else now but I'm already over target.

Can't wait now to get back into proper baking and cooking - I have really missed it, planning Dinners was a nightmare but luckily a friend close by had use of a couple of Gas rings otherwise I don't know what we would have done. Dinner tonight is our usual Fish, HM chips and mushy peas.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• TashjaTashja Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Can I join please. I used to post a while ago but life got in the way and I have been failing miserably at money saving :(

August will be a new start though.

I have started planning christmas pressies and as soon as I get back on top opf the house work I will look in on the fly ladies :)

I am hoping the GC will be better for me this time as I have just passed my driving test so can go shopping by myself and therefore hopefully spend less if I don't have 1 hubby and 3 children with me.

So for August I am going to go for £300. Seems like a lot but I am out of the habit of cooking and planning so will hopefully come down next month.

Hope everyone is ok - need to learn names, etc for personals :)

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    :j
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    lost track again as OH and DD1 keep buying stuff while I am at work and they are not quite as thrifty as I am , they mean well but it is really blowing the food budget . I can only imagine august will be even worse
    will carry on doing the grocery challenge even if its just for damage limitation :rolleyes:
  • ellemmellemm Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Done last shop of the month today so declaring at £180.52 for July and will try for £170 in August please MrsM.

Only 52p over budget but think I could have done better! still saving a bit and certainly eating healthier with little or no wasted food and cupboards well stocked.

• Flat_EricFlat_Eric Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to set my budget for £256.85 for August Mrs M please. Many thanks.:D

It amounts to £58 a week which is to cover toiletries, cat food, the drinks we buy at the weekly pub quiz and for all meals. £3 a day Monday through Thursday and £5 a day Fri,Sat and Sun. A different way of doing it for me so will see how I get on. There are two of us to feed and of course my cat! I always try to stockpile his food when it is on offer though and am well stocked at the moment.

Would be interested to hear how little some of you allow to create a meal.
    :rolleyes2

I thought I would be tempted by the m&S dine in for 2 deal as I had to visit m&s today but luckily the shelves for the offer were all but bear :j

I saved 10% in superdrug yesterday and stocked up on the 59p shower gel and the other offers they had. popped in first thing and collected my receipt with 10% coupon and went online to get validation code. i then went back at lunchtime to buy the bulk of what i wanted. Would have been so easy to buy everything during my first visit but then I wouldnt have received the discount. :rolleyes:

sausages out the freezer and defrosting for tomorrow's tea of sausages and mash. I will serve it with lots of roasted onions that need using up and which I love.

Im back to sharing a home delivery shop with a friend which halves the delivery cost and i am trying to order only what is needed.

There is still room for further improvement but I am certainly doing my utmost and I am very aware that money saved on food shopping is money that can be used to pay off my credit card or put towards that pair of shoes I wanted to order a minute ago but couldn't justify buying!!

• Where do I start with menu planning?
    Do you plan every meal for the whole month including breakfast and lunch?
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • elf06elf06 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Where do I start with menu planning?
    Do you plan every meal for the whole month including breakfast and lunch?

I do a week at a time and only 'plan' lunch and dinners. I always have an idea of what breakie we have in and what could be used for snacks. I normally have an idea what the month will look like but only write down a week at a time. I live alone with my DS (2.5yrs old) so find batch cooking is a great way to go. One lot of cooking = lots of home cooked meals in the freezer :D

This month is over budget already but will continue to be monitored. Please could I try for £100 FOR AUGUST again - thanks Mrs M
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!