edited 28 June 2009 at 9:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
924 replies 70.3K views

Replies

• cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    Would be interested to hear how little some of you allow to create a meal. :rolleyes2
    My budget (food and drinks only) works out at the following.....

adult (including teenage son who's just turned 18) : £1.80/day, which is based on 70p for the main meal, 60p for the lighter meal, and 50p for breakfast, snacks and drinks.

child : I was doing a cooked meal for my younger GD (who was 4 in April) once a week, and allowed 50p for this. (Still have 5 to do the week she's on afternoons as she starts in Reception in September). I then budget for after school snacks/drinks for both GDs (elder one will be 6 early next month), and allow 30p each for this.

DS has eaten at college 3 days a week (during term time) since last September and pays for this out of his EMA -- but I don't reduce my budget. But he does tend to 'graze' more in the evening on those days, so a lot of his 'lunch' money from my budget probably gets eaten as evening snacks :rolleyes2

I had £58.40 in hand at the end of June, but £50 of this could be accounted for by the fact I've had 'free' vouchers to that amount I've deducted from my actual spend (6x£5 Mr M from the papers, and 2x£10 Mr T giftcards from doing surveys)

The 70p/head for the main meal is based on my keeping records of what I used to make main meals for several months last year, so I'm confident this part of the budget is pretty accurate.
    Cheryl
  • edited 25 July 2009 at 10:30AM
    cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 July 2009 at 10:30AM
    Where do I start with menu planning?
    Do you plan every meal for the whole month including breakfast and lunch?
    I've just fininshed week 4 of a 5 week plan - but I only meal plan the cooked meals.

It's only me and my 18 year-old son here, so lunches are whatever sandwiches we grab for ourselves (or toast and paste, or cheese on toast, or soup and roll, or - in the case of DS - cereal and milk). Over time I guess I've got used to what tends to get used for these, as I don't end up throwing out cold meats/cheese any more, but it's very rare for either of us to find something we fancy isn't available :)

Really need to toddle off and do my August meal plan now (which will actually be for 5 weeks and run until 4th Sept), as I want to try and get as much of the freezer/cupboard shopping as I can tomorrow while a coupon I have is still valid !!!

Shouldn't actually be too hard, as I'm planning on pretty much a repeat of the last meal plan which raised very few complaints from DS - but with a few adjustments to allow for the fact elder DS is home on leave for the whole month and won't eat a couple of the things which appear on it that younger DS and I do (like grilled salmon).
    Cheryl
  • Do you think a £400 budget sounds like alot?
    I know its all individual but trying to gadge whether we are spening way too much or is this a "normal" amount?:confused:
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • TashjaTashja Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think a £400 budget sounds like alot?
    I know its all individual but trying to gadge whether we are spening way too much or is this a "normal" amount?:confused:

How many of you are there ??

Any special requirements - i.e - dairy free, wheat free, etc

Any pets

I have allowed 300 for August - this is for 2 adults and 3 children and cleaning stuff and nappies.

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    :j
  • mooominmooomin Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    £10.25 spent today at Morrisons.

£8 on cat food (3 boxes of pouches) Fussy little sods will only eat Felix.
    £1 on pasta
    £1.25 on rice.

Trying to save myself from going too mad as I have a Costco trip on Tuesday :j
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm setting an August budget of £167.40 please Mrs M
    Do you think a £400 budget sounds like alot?

My August budget is unusually high for me as my elder DS (20) will be home all month - so this is food and drinks (nothing else) for 3 adults. Elder DS is bound to buy takeaways on top of this, but they're from his own money/wages so totally excluded from my expenditure. He'll also be buying himself alcohol - both for home and on nights out - but I don't buy any as I'm more than happy to do without, though I do have some in the house I need to check out (as most is probably well out of date and fit only for tipping) due to neither younger DS (18) nor myself being 'drinkers'
    Cheryl
  • meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Declaring at €296.32 for July....€6.32 over budget and still have to go to 31st.....have something like €8.50 in Tesco vouchers which will be used in the event of an emergency....

Will try for €290 again for August Mrs MC

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tashja wrote: »
    How many of you are there ??
    Checking Dancing Shoe's previous posts (in case I'd missed family make up in this thread) I see there are "2 adults and 2 young children and 2 dogs."

I also have 2 dogs (a Dalmatian and a 'large' Yorkie). I budget for their needs separately, but food for them is currently set to £275/year (£22.92/month). Boosters, flea treatement and worming tables add on a further £140/year (£11.67/month). So I have a 'pet' budget of £415/year (£34.58/month)

Toiletries/cleaning is currently set to 40p/day (annual £146/monthly £12.17), but it looks like I may have to increase that to 50p/day (annual £182.50/monthly £15.21).

So as an "all in" my August budget would be up to £167.50 + £34.58 + £15.21 = £217.29 for three adults and two dogs. I guess this would be a lot higher if I had to include nappies and/or formula milk (clearly depending on ages of children)
    Cheryl
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Morning all

Well Our new month starts today so Im declaring in at €110 spent for July -although a lot of what I have spent is still in the fridge/freezer/cupboards :D
    Im going to try and delay the first shop of this month for as long as possible ... it should be milk, fruit n veg that we need for most of the month -potatoes are coming on offer at 4kg for 99c -so I have given hubby a couple of €s to pick a couple of nets up today on his way home from duty if they have any -but I have counted that in with july's total.

the weather is all over the place -red hot 1 minute -throwing it down and thunder storms the next :confused:-but the beans in the garden seem to be loving it and they are now really getting going, I have enough for a few meals tucked up in the freezer allready and will be fetching more off for dinner tomorrow:j
    ooohhhh on a non GC theme -can I just say thankyou to everyone who sent lovely thoughts for my mum -and say that its only 7.5 weeks ago that they found her lump on a routine mamogram -it turned out to be a high grade one that they described as "ready to explode" -mum opted for the mastectomy rather than a lumpectomy and 36 sessions of radio therapy -well on Thursday she went back for the results and SHE HAS BEEN GIVEN THE ALL CLEAR -they got it all and don't want to see her until next year when she will have another routine mamaogram:T -they are amazed at how, at 69 she has bounced back... so thankyou everyone -panic over :D
    Right I will get off.... and see you all on the August thread once it's up and running
    Hope everyone is well :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    MrsMc - what wonderful news about your mum, you will be able to sleep now!