Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    25th Jun 09 at 3:57 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-06-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 12
  • fallen angel shelley
    Casper- So sorry to hear your sad news. Big hugs for you & your family.

I popped to MrT's yesterday armed with a list that I was going to stick to no matter what but while I was walking there I bumped in to DS, he was ment to be at the cinema with his GF but they fell out so he came home, anyway ended up spending £28.91 we did end up buying some very yummy sorbet that DS said he needed to cheer him up:rolleyes:.

I think that I might start taking my GC money out of the bank every week and then when its gone its gone. We also need to cut down on milk, between two of us we go through 28 pints a week, DS(17yo) loves drinking milk, we have some on cereal but the majority of it I use in tea, I have a very bad tea/caffeine addiction and I really should look at cutting down, I must drink around 20 cups a day, I have worked out that I'm spending a 1/4 of the GC money on milk alone.

Just of to up date my sig. I hope everyone has a good day and enjoys the lovely weather.

Shelley x
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. May grocery challenge £41.96/140
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 5th Jul 09, 7:41 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,664 Thanks
    sistercas
    casper so sorry to hear about your mum (((hugs))) to you

I spent another £41.46 yesterday at a discount shop , did get 36 ice lollies for a £1 bought loads of yoghurts muller corners 6 for a £1, so fridge and freezer full, will just need bread in the week.
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 5th Jul 09, 8:40 AM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    Morning all,sorry missed a lot as stupid 'puter went AWOL.
    Sort of sticking to GC,not spending much but not had time to keep spending diary up to date.However I still had money left in current account(quite a bit)and savings acc. healthy despite lack of interest.

Hope all going well for you all,see lots of new 'faces' around,great place to be as loads of support .

MrsMc will declare at £179 for June and put me down again for £180 in July.Thank you.

July is busy month for birthdays,but all factored in!
    Was going to take DH to Ffos Las racecourse for his birthday but we've booked a holiday in Pembroke in Sept instead.Not a price equivalent,but DH said he would save money.He's really got GC-hopefully no cure.

Have now reduced work by 4 hours a week-my choice not forced,but shattered after 3 full days work.
    (Talk about being feeble!Its me age-all these grandchildren.New littley is now 7 wks old,Angharad,and has gained just over 2lbs.)
    Lovely feeling of freedom,feel as if pressure is off,but will obviously have to more GC.It will have little effect on my pension,tho the way things are going feel as if we should just worry about now because not too much control over then.
    Nice and cool this morning as it chucked it down last night,lovely blue sky.Watching a red kite float past the window,they are very graceful to look at,so effortless.

Will do better this month and keep up with you all.

mrss
    Last edited by mrssnowy; 05-07-2009 at 8:43 AM. Reason: misinformation
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 5th Jul 09, 9:18 AM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Signature updated to include smallish spend in Mr T yesterday.

Did take advantage of the 25% of 6 bottles of wine offer - got 4 bottles of Cava, all half price (for pamper hampers) and a nice red, also half price, again for a hamper then let OH choose a white for himself to make up the six (I'm all heart!!) so saved a massive amount and got nice wine into the bargain.

I haven't included the wines in my total as from different budget.

As others have mentioned, found we ate salads most of last week, can't face hot food in that sort of heat.

Still got loads in freezer so plan to use as much of that as possible this week and keep down the shopping costs.

Doing a bit of cleaning and cooking this morning to leave the afternoon free to watch the tennis.

• rosieben
    Casper, so sorry to hear about your mum, sending positive thoughts your way.

My first July shop on Friday was £6, planning a Lidl shop this week and a MrS delivery later in the month. Apart from milk (local coop - which is useless for anything else!) that should be it.
    Last edited by rosieben; 05-07-2009 at 10:07 AM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 5th Jul 09, 10:08 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 10,929 Thanks
    JayneC
    Hi all,

Casper - Sorry to hear about your mum XX

Well I'm determined to stay in budget this month so gonna try and update more often. Hopefully it will keep me focussed!

Have spent a hefty chunk of my budget but have got enough store cupboard stuff in now to last the month. It'll be fresh food top-ups only - milk, bread, F&V, meat, etc.

Have meal planned for eve meals this week and have everything in. I'm finding it's the lunch box stuff that's more expensive!! DD likes nutri grain (instead of sandwiches!!) and I also try to put in a peice of fruit and something dairy like a yoghurt drink too (they like actimel - tried the cheaper versions and they turn their noses up!! I've gone for baby bel cheeses insted this week which seem to be cheaper). I do a big batch of baking a weekend and they get a cake or biscuit too. If anyone has any ideas for cheaper lunchboxes please share. Ta X

BTW went into Tesco yesterday and got 500g sutanas for 74p and the kilo bag of the exact same product was £2.35!!!! How can they justify that??!! Made me a bit mad. Lots of people won't check assuming the bigger pack will be cheaper. Especially with the shelf edge noting that in Asda 1 kilo is £2.38. Anyhoo.... Rant over.

My garden is doing quite well considering it's only a tiny yard. I've had some new potatoes, lettuce and strawberries from it already. Hopefully onions will be ready soon and I've got peas, sweetcorn, courgette and tomatoes all doing well too.

Well better get on, all that batch baking awaits, lol.

TTFN

Jayne x
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 5th Jul 09, 10:16 AM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Have meal planned for eve meals this week and have everything in. I'm finding it's the lunch box stuff that's more expensive!! DD likes nutri grain (instead of sandwiches!!) and I also try to put in a peice of fruit and something dairy like a yoghurt drink too (they like actimel - tried the cheaper versions and they turn their noses up!! I've gone for baby bel cheeses insted this week which seem to be cheaper). I do a big batch of baking a weekend and they get a cake or biscuit too. If anyone has any ideas for cheaper lunchboxes please share. Ta X
    Jayne x
    Originally posted by JayneC
    It won't save masses but would your children eat cheese that you'd cut into cubes or sticks instead of BabyBel's or the like? I also used to bulk buy the yoghurt tubes when they were on BOGOF and freeze them to keep the cost down. I actually put my DS3 back on school lunches last September as the cost of the lunchbox was getting ridiculous Fortunately he's at primary school & the lunches are healthy ..... He starts at High School this time though so I'll have the debate all over again :rolleyes:
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
  • Changingme
    Not doing well at all have family over I think I'm going to up budget as have brought wine and beer plus a bit more food so total os far is £176.30.
    Save £4500 in 2014
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 5th Jul 09, 11:29 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Well Ive not totted up total for June yet! Been too busy but Ive been very mindful of what Ive been buying. I did spend a lot last week and this week I fear-and Ive had a lot of expenses re getting a car for DD for her new job so its rather damaged my rainy day fund! But she has a job at last!!!
    I will start some totting up hopefully later today and remedy the situation.
    Just made some pesto with the homegrown basil-it was the pinenuts and parmesan which cost the money for this but well worth it!
    Had too many raspberries last week so made a couple of jars of jam. Ok so its not cheaper than the shops but its "top quality". I bought some mamade to make marmalade-hoping a local shop has some cheaper sugar-got some the other week-2 1kg packs for £1.50.
    Lots of free salad in the garden and the cucumbers we have been eating are huge.
    I made a couple of fruit cakes in the week without eggs-using vinegar and soda-these were really nice and moist.
    Making a victoria sponge today and spreading with h/m jam and wwhipped cream-topped with strawberries from the garden.
    Cupboards are overloaded along with freezer and worktops so Ive loads to last. Got "the one" milk in Mr T last night-only 84p for 2 litres! Got 5 of them as dated 14th. So tonights meal will be pasta with homemade pesto and cheese(no meat needed) and h/m victoria sponge.
    Hoping to make some parsnip soup and some spicy carrot and tomato soup today/tomorrow if I get time. Plenty of the tinned stuff here but I rather like h/made best. I may do some quick herby bread to go with it-not sure yet as ithe the sugar content that puts me off. May just make a loaf in the BM instead. Trying to sort out a better routine for cooking etc for the Autumn as my job role is shortly changing and planning will be easier. Still getting to the gym generally about 3 times a week-got to try to get there tonight!
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 05-07-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • got-it-spend-it
    • By got-it-spend-it 5th Jul 09, 11:50 AM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 26,648 Thanks
    got-it-spend-it
    Good afternoon fellow Grocery Challengers!

Well, I'm over £100 of £160 already, but I have got lots of food in so the remaining £60 should be plenty for just getting milk, fruit and veg, cheese etc for the next three weeks.

I am really enjoying the Aldi super six at the moment. I rarely used to go to Aldi as it is a couple of miles away, where as Lidl, Tesco and Sainsburys are on our doorstep but I'm finding that this really makes it worth it. I also like some of their Italian / pasta type things as well so am stocking up on them, and I find their toiletries are really good too!

Casper- sorry to hear about your Mum. Sending virtual ((((hugs)))) your way x x

Just checked out a courgette fritter recipe from the first page. Our courgette plants are going great guns. Using our first one to make ratatouille today, but think the fritters sounds yummy too.
    Yummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 5th Jul 09, 12:48 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    casper - so sorry to hear about your mum ((hugs)) to you and your family ...

i have just under 2 weeks and £30 to go ... so alittle worried but all i have to get is milk and bread im not going anywhere this week so wont spend anything i hope ... im going to be strong im liking my 6 NSD's i want more the most i did in a month was 10 so i want to beat that x
    Still searching .....
  • HalfaSixpence
    Well, I was a bit appalled last week how almost my entire budget got swallowed up in a Tescos big shop, so this week I thought I would shop locally for meat and veg first, so I only had to go to tescos for boring stuff. So set off yesterday evening to just get milk, cereal and something to unblock the bath which had been draining slower and slower (my dh has long long hair). As I left, DH said could I get some suncream as he is taking our sun to the beach. Then my daughter remembered that she had forgotten to go to the library and has a long trip on Monday for which she needs something to read. And then I remembered a couple of other things like rice and lightbulbs, and for some reason got 'impulsed' by some disposable gloves (for the nasty drain cleaner) and some miso soup mix....what was that about?! Anyway, ended up spending £90 - arrgh!

However, the good news is that it would have been more if I hadn't been doing cash-only, and I'm still within budget, especially if I decide to define the sun cream as coming out of the 'holiday' budget! And the other good news is that the drain stuff really worked - I had thought we might need a plumber.

Actually, I had also bought more meat etc than we really needed as I forgot that various members of the family are out at various points this week, and I still have a gammon joint I haven't cooked and half a slow-cooker curry left. But how can I spend more on 'nothing' at the supermarket than I spent on all the 'actual food' at local shops?
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 5th Jul 09, 3:32 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 7,125 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Sorry Caspar to hear about your mum ((hugs)).

Well it's 5 days into the month and I haven't spent anything!
    Lots of things that want using up,the only thing i'll really need is milk tomorrow.
    Things are going rather too well :rolleyes:.
    ilovetea x
    #17 Make £2019 in 2019. £1,538.03.
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 5th Jul 09, 3:50 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    My thoughts are with you Casper for your sad loss ((hugs))

Just totted up my totals from 27 June to 5 July

£42.96 spent leaving £150.04
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 5th Jul 09, 4:30 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    HI I've got £85 left after spending £50 in Mr. T's and £25 in Mr.M's.
    When I was in MR.T's I used some of the vouchers from the Daily Mail so saved a fairbit there. I did give 2 vouchers away as I wouldn't have spent £10 on beauty products nor did I need loads of veg.
    We've really stocked up oon meat now so we have plenty to choose from.

having the coffee problem again, it's shot up again hasn't it?
    Barney is my border collie.
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 5th Jul 09, 4:44 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,
    Need to buy toilet rolls but have managed to stay away from the shops today and will wait til we've nearly run out. So a NSD

HM Roast beef meals from freezer fir mr and mrs today, and I went to a friends for lunch so were doing very well.

Was given some fresh veg so will defrost some meat, not sure what yet and do some bulk meals for freezer tomorrow

Mrsnowy, where abouts are you? the only time I've seen Red Kites was in Wales and I agree their very graceful and a joy to watch

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 5th Jul 09, 6:28 PM
    • 4,328 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...casper im very sorry to hear about your mum lots of positive thoughts coming your way from me

on gc front its all gone to pot...insomuchas i cant be bothered to shop and now stocks are running low so will have to get off backside and go to the shops......i need to find some quick to cook stuff...think i might have a look at the fish counter tomorrow...quite fancy salmon

im going to cook a sc chicken tomorrow and see how far i can stretch that during the week...might do a pasta bake with some and maybe a pie ...iv also got some bacon to use up so will need to get on to that.....the meal with a cooked chicken and crusty bread sounded lovely...i think ill give that a go with some salad out of the garden later in the week

take care
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • helen jelly
    Hi
    Was going to have aNSD but we had run out of veg for tonight so went to MrT and got some more and other bits and spent £30.22 and that was nearly all on reduced stuff i.e. Spring Onions for 6p. Its the bloomin packed lunch stuff that sends the bill high

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 5th Jul 09, 6:55 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Casper:- sorry to hear about your mum. hugs to you and your family x

Its true about the pack lunches its all the little things that add up.I started the kids back on school meals, saved me a fortune. Now i just make food up for OH.
    Well over the over the past few days of BBQ's decided to have jacket potatoes which was nice. Got fresh strawberries in the freezer yum yum.

Slow Cooker Jacket Potatoes

wash potato and !!!!! all over, wrap in tin foil. (i made 8 jacket potatoes)
    Place in slow cooker on high for about 5hours or on low for 7hours.
    All of them came out really hot, melt in the mouth yummo.
    the skin does not go crispy but they are really nice. The moisture from the potatoes stop from going really dry.
    • elf06
    • By elf06 5th Jul 09, 6:57 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Ok so its all gone a bit Pete Tong now. Not a good start to my first ever GC!! Went to Mr T today and spend a horrifying £19.47 AND I will still need to go on Tuesday for some other bits and pieces (loo roll and BBQ bits for sat mainly). Trying to make myself feel better about the spend as I did buy 2 reduced prepacked BBQ bits which will help towards the weekend and I also got the choc, raisins etc for the charity baking on sunday
    Also nipped into Aldi for some of their super 6 as my son is a little fruit bat so topped up on their bananas, nectarines and some pears (not on super 6 but looked lovely - ooops)
    So today I spend a total of £21.76 which takes my total for the month so far up to £25.64. Not as good as I would have liked but still a fair bit left.
    Should prob also say that I get a discount as Mr T as I work there so it could always be worse.......
    Will now go and update my sig and maybe put the kettle on
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,257Posts Today

9,113Users online

Martin's Twitter