We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Claim Mangment Companies

Options
Just a couple of quick question really.

Has anyone had any experience with a claim managment company - good or bad?

Is it worth signing up with a claim managment company inorder to get your PPI and bank charges claimed back. I know they take a cut from your eventual payout at the end, but is this cut worth not having all the hassle of the claim?

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options

Is it worth signing up with a claim managment company inorder to get your PPI and bank charges claimed back. I know they take a cut from your eventual payout at the end, but is this cut worth not having all the hassle of the claim?

Hi there

You do have a choice here, for instance:

You could do this yourself for free by using templates on the site here, and more info here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

Or if you go for claims companies always get advice first and never pay upfront charges for this, there are a few that are free but not a great deal so always worth checking them out.

I'm sure others will post to give their views on this as well, good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • petermb_2
    petermb_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options

I think the advantage of using a professional claims management company is that should there be other issues surrounding your loan other than simply claiming back ppi they will be able to win you the extra compensation due.

The disadvantage to using them is how do you know they are professional and how much do you have to pay for the service. Many are just fee gatherers. Charging Hundreds of Pounds without actually having the infrastructure to challenge the lender.

My own view is very biased in that I believe that any claims company worth anything at all would offer a Totally Free Service , in that you pay nothing win or lose. This is achieved by charging the lender and not the client. I only know of one claims company that offers such a service.
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
  • Natalie6999
    Natalie6999 Posts: 402 Forumite
    Options
    Don't sign up to anyone who is recommended to you by anyone on here, consult CAB or do it yourself. Too many people are signing up to claims handlers who are making false promises & failing to deliver the service they say they can provide.

If your case is straightforward then there really is no need for a claims handler & if not do a thorough investigation of anyone who you consider employing - check out companies house, FSA register etc.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    General rule of thumb is that if a claims company want money up front then there is little chance of success.

It is also worth noting that the FOS stats and comments have suggested that overall, complaint companies have a lower success rate than consumers making their own complaints. Probably down to the use of template letters.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dreamer33
    dreamer33 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    General rule of thumb is that if a claims company want money up front then there is little chance of success.

It is also worth noting that the FOS stats and comments have suggested that overall, complaint companies have a lower success rate than consumers making their own complaints. Probably down to the use of template letters.

I'm going down this route but there is no up-front fees to pay and like petermb states, they charge the fees to the lender so the claimant gets all their money back.

I originally went to the CAB myself and they told me I did not have a chance of getting PPI back so have lost faith in them myself. They actually directed me to a Solicitor who was based miles away from myself and I would have had to drive for miles to see them, waste of time in my case.

If you are recommended someone who has been used and was successful then go for it, not paying any fees up-front of course or them taking 15-30% of winnings.
    :wave:
  • maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Options
    dreamer33 wrote: »
    I'm going down this route but there is no up-front fees to pay and like petermb states, they charge the fees to the lender so the claimant gets all their money back.

I originally went to the CAB myself and they told me I did not have a chance of getting PPI back so have lost faith in them myself. They actually directed me to a Solicitor who was based miles away from myself and I would have had to drive for miles to see them, waste of time in my case.

If you are recommended someone who has been used and was successful then go for it, not paying any fees up-front of course or them taking 15-30% of winnings.
    And so say all of us.:T
    :mad:
  • petermb_2
    petermb_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    dreamer33 wrote: »

The only issue with such a scheme is that the premium for the ppi has to be at least £2500 to enable the free service to be available used. That is to do with the legal side and its workings.
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
  • Natalie6999
    Options
    If you really must use a reclaiming company then get any contract checked by CAB of a local advice centre as often there are things written in the small print that you need to be aware of - after all they are out to make money from you one way or another.

Beware of fast talking salesmen who promise everything & deliver nothing & never sign a contract or agreement without taking the time to get it checked out, if they insist that you sign straight away, walk away.

Too many of these companies are out to rip you off.
  • maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Options
    I am sure there are people on here who have used claims companies and have not been ripped off. I would think that most people that get on this site would check paperwork anyway having been burnt before with paperwork.

I think if you use a double glazing company you are always best to go with somebody who have used them and they do a good job. Same as Claims companies. As long as it is not through monetary gain that they are suggested then if somebody has had a positive experience then that is a good endorsement.

Most people are quite happy to do things on their own but there are times where it is not possible to go through the usual route.

My opinion only not advice!
    :mad:
  • Natalie6999
    Options
    When you have seen the result of bad financial advice & the effect it can have you learn to be very wary.

Claims management companies are springing up all the time, making false promises, charging clients massive amounts & tying them into contracts that are difficult to understand. In most instances they could have made the claims themselves & had all of the money claimed for themselves.

On a forum like this no one should be recommending anyone to manage claims or pushing anyone in that direction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport