Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 27th Sep 08 at 5:14 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September Grocery Challenge.
    As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Page 49
  • TheBees
    Evening everyone
    We've not been on much this month but continue with the challenge.
    We have £12 to last us to the end of the month!
    The freezers are full so just milk, bread and veg to get.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
    • fluffysox
    • By fluffysox 22nd Oct 08, 9:09 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    fluffysox
    Hi everyone.

Not been able to keep up with everyone's posts for the past month as I've been working constantly but have popped in from time to time and read a few. Well done to you all, thanks for the motivation.
    Since the start of September I have been OS with my grocery shopping and cooking- making stews and soups. I've made a couple of roast dinners (which would have been beyond me a few months ago ) and used the meat for sandwiches, stir-fries, pastas and soups etc rather than buying chicken fillets etc.
    However OH and myself feeling overworked and stressed out so there have been more "treats" biscuits and chocolate and beer and wine have been undoing my otherwise super effort .
    Also have completely lost count of spending - I don't think I've spent as much as I used to- but I could be blissfully ignorant- particularly since OH has paid for shopping a couple of times so it won't be noticed in my account. Feel guilty when so many of you are doing so well!!

So Mrs Mc, please can you put me down for £140 for the November Challenge. I'm going to try payday to payday instead of calendar months s I will start November this week. Good luck with your hospital appointments we'll be thinking of you x
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013
  • gillaman
    Made a suet crust pie this week using Quorn fillets. Might interest any veggies out there and could be made with chicken for meat eaters. Lovely in cold weather.

8 oz suet crust pastry
    2 Quorn fillets or chunks
    3 or 4 mushrooms sliced or just cut in chunks
    Onion
    Herbs
    Marigold bouillon powder and gravy granules
    3 or 4 tbsps water

Slice the onion and fry for a few minutes, then add the Quorn, cut into slices, then the mushrooms.
    Use 2/3rds of suet crust to line a pie dish.
    Put the Quorn mixture in layers into the pie dish with herbs, a little salt if you like it(I didn't use any) and pepper
    Mix the bouillon powder and gravy granules with the water and pour this on.
    Moisten the edges of the base pastry, roll out the remaining pastry and place over the pie, crimping the edges to seal.
    Bake for about 30 mins at 200C
    This heats up well if you have any leftovers. Be careful if you use chicken though. I should think any vegetarian meat substitute would be good, as well as mince beef etc.

Hope your hospital appointments go well Mrs M.
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • bullet
    I didn't do the toad in the hole in the end today, we just had sausages with mashed potatoes and cauliflower, with chocolate cake for afterwards. Tomorrow we are having veggie curry with rice and I'm hoping it's going to be an nsd.
    Ds1 came home with four bananas from his school as they have now broken up for half term and didn't want to waste the fruit. It's difficult to get fruit into him, so as well as making the banana cake I had in mind anyway, I'm going to look at savoury recipes using bananas as he'll have more chance of eating them that way.
    Last edited by bullet; 22-10-2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typo
    • tirlittan
    • By tirlittan 23rd Oct 08, 8:38 AM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 8,890 Thanks
    tirlittan
    Finally sorted out my receipts yesterday, and it's not as bad as I thought. Have spent £62.12 so have £37.88 for the next 7 days, my challenge ends on 29th as off on hols on that day. Sig updated.
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
  • scotsaver
    MRSMC - thanks for the Stuffing recipe - shall definitely be making that on Sunday to go with the Roast Beef. Hope all goes well with the Hospital etc, thinking of you.

Making meatballs for dinner tonight, taken a portion of HM Tomato Sauce out of the freezer and shall serve pasta & HM Garlic Dough Balls with it.

Good Luck to everyone with your totals, we're nearly there.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 23rd Oct 08, 9:02 AM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    We have around £45 left for the next 7 days. However on Monday £30 of that will go to ASDA. I am not too worried though as our £120 this month has covered a food/booze shopping trip in France and next week's ASDA delivery which is for expensive bulky items too. This means that overall, October has been a good shopping month, reducing our spend in household bulky items and wine for the Winter months.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting
    YNAB lover
  • princess leia
    Mmm HM garli dough balls ......could you post/PM the recipe please?

I will have another NSD today as had flu jab yest and today I might as well have the flu I feel so dreadful Got high fever, muscle aches etc etc etc but thankfully not the cold part (although I would prefer to have that half of the flu trhan this half )
    Might actually hve a takeaway for tea tonite as I also have a late eye check appointment so won't have time or the energy to cook something!
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• scotsaver
    Mmm HM garli dough balls ......could you post/PM the recipe please?
    Originally posted by princess leia
    princess leia - here is the recipe for the Garlic Dough Balls, I have copied it from my little book that I write all recipes from here on and if my jottings are correct I think this recipe was thanks to mandy_moo_1

5floz water
    1 tbsp Olive Oil
    1 tsp salt
    Half tsp Sugar
    Half tsp Oregano
    2 cups strong bread flour
    Half Tsp Dried Yeast
    Garlic Clove Crushed
    2 tbsp butter/margarine

The original recipe says to make the dough in the BM but I just bung everything into a bowl and bring it together by hand and add more flour if too wet, knead for a few mins and leave to rise. I then knead again and shape into 8 balls. Mix the crushed garlic with the butter, poke a hole in each dough ball and place about half a tsp of the garlic butter into the hole and squidge the hole over to seal. Leave to rise for a little while and then bake at 180 degrees for about 10 mins.

We love these in our house and always make these when I do Spag Bol , lasagne etc for when they have friends over and they are always a hit so thanks again mandy_moo_1
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• mumzyof2
    I had £50.00 for 2 weeks and with 8 days to go i have already gone over by £5.11 bringing total to £55.11
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • Money saving Diva

Hi ladies!

OH went to Sainsburys last night which is never a good move. He went to get 'I can't believe...' as it was BOGOF but ended up spending another £12 which I shall adjust on my total shortly. Our month ends in a few days but I better wait til the end to declare as he may shop again before then!!

Fish pie went down so well I have been asked to make it again this weekend which was a lovely suprise. However, M & S have their £10 deal on again and I still have a voucher from my surveys to spend so with any luck I can get another Oakham chicken.

Hope you are all doing well with your monthly challenges!

Thank you all for the inspiration you give. I don't post daily, but I do read!

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 23rd Oct 08, 11:55 AM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    I would like to try to stick to £300 next month for me and five other adults. They do give me a little towards household costs, but sometimes it is in kind rather than money.
  • bullet
    I am trying to think of recipes for this last week that will involve as little shopping as possible. I've got:

Store Cupboard:

5 bananas
    A packet of oatmeal
    Some stuffing mixture
    Some soy sauce
    Caster sugar
    Brown sugar
    Rice
    Half a pack of value spaghetti
    Dried yeast
    Plain flour
    Self raising flour.
    Cocoa.

In the freezer.

Some cooked and pureed apples.
    Vegetable curry.

In the fridge.

4 medium sized eggs.
    2 pints of milk.
    1 tub of baking margarine
    3 slices of brown bread
    Remains of cabbage and soup mix soup.
    Jar of peanut butter
    Jar of marmite.
    Tiny bit of cheese

Veggie curry will be eaten tonight and hopefully will last for tomorrow's tea as well. I'll have the soup for lunch tomorrow. Cheese will go in a sandwich for someone. I'll make some Yorkshire puddings and freeze them and fill them with something cheap and easy. I'll get a chicken as well and serve it with vegetables and stuffing. Then make a chicken bolognaise, a chicken and banana curry and some more soup. Also the banana cake. Does that sound ok for some meals?
  • MrsMcK
    This has been my first month doing a grocery challange and I of my £300 budget I have used £222.12 so far. It has been a great learning curve and can,t wait for next months challange to start.
    GC Spent - NGC £300 / £
    2 adults 3 children 1 dog
  • gtx
    hi everyone

had a nice quiet day off - been out with my mam and done this weeks shopping which is my week one for november. didn't actually need anything but have already decided to keep things in stock rather than run down and have to do a big shop.

went to nettos and spent £21.36 and £4.50 in mr a's.

one thing i 'discovered' today is that turkey is almost half the price of chicken in nettos - i've always thought of turkey as for xmas but today i bought 2 packs of turkey breast for 1p more than one pack of chicken.

DFW#1062 LBM Aug 08 - DFD JUN '22
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 23rd Oct 08, 7:27 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Tonight I made chicken curry. Well-half chicken and half quorn which I had bought on offer yesterday? from Somerfield. 2 chicken carcasses on high in the slowcooker so there should be a good amount of chicken com off of those. Our ageing moggy will get some of it and the rest can be soup tomorrow. Hubby has been picking at chicken all day and DD had some on her sarnies. I bought some lunch today -will add it to total later but it was only about £2.50-well it was all reduced stuff!
    Must make some bread tonight to go with the soup tomorrow as there is nothing better than homemade bread with homemade soup.
    Hoping that even with me and dd going away next week that we will still be in budget. I will calculate our holiday food spending in 2 parts: restaurant meals will be in entertainment budget and takeaways and grocery shopping(we are self catering)will come from grocery budget. As I had 2 low weeks and this week should also be well under I think I will manage it.
    Ive been saving loose change on and off so I must go count it-this will be our entertainment money.Hopefully all is covered as in my absence we will be having an electrician in and he needs paying!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 23rd Oct 08, 7:50 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 10,929 Thanks
    JayneC
    HI all,

I've not posted this month but have been 'checking in' each day to keep me on track. I'm declaring at £252.40 from £250 budget which I'm quite happy with as I spent over £10 on products from Tesco purely for points (I made a profit!!) so would have been under but for that. I did cheat just a little as I let OH buy the occasional bread and milk, but it didn't come out of my grocery budget so that's ok, right?

I've recently discovered that my local Wilkinson's seem to have bread reduced to half price almost everyday. I've taken to popping in on my lunch break whenever I get chance, lol. I'm getting a bit obsessive about the whoopsies but it definitely makes a difference

Anyhoo... please put me down for £250 again in Nov, thanks and well done to everyone else (even if you went over at least you're trying

Jayne x
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
    • woozywendy
    • By woozywendy 23rd Oct 08, 8:39 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    woozywendy
    Chicken & Pasta for a family of four £2.50
    In Aldi they sell tins of chicken in white sauce for 99p. I use 2 of these and a bag of pasta for 50p. The tins are literally full of chicken. There is plenty for a family of 4 and it tastes lovely. For £2.50 it is not a bad meal.
  • Chaos Theory
    (Edited, C+Pd from SW thread)
    Huge argument with himself. He went to supermarket to get milk, yogurts and bread, but arrived back with loads of crap as well. He thinks I have a restrictive diet and am not adventurous enough...Here's a clue......I'M ON A SODDING DIET! He spent nearly £25 on stuff we either can't eat or don't like. This is the man that can't afford to pay all his credit card minimum amounts, but can buy crap we don't need from a supermarket. Well done... I'm still fuming!

ETA Have added up what he spent and what is coming from T's online today. As you can see, my first month in the challenge has not been a successful one and the month isn't over yet! I can't blame him totally, but that's twice this month he has spent loads on crap. I probably would have come in just under budget (maybe!), but I think £50-60 of it was him wasting money. At least now I can see what I'm dealing with.
    Last edited by Chaos Theory; 24-10-2008 at 5:43 AM. Reason: To add that I have failed miserably
    I saw two shooting stars last night
    I wished on them, but they were only satellites
    It's wrong to wish on space hardware
    I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care
  • gtx
    Chaos Theory - i know exactly where you're coming from my biggest problem was dh spending £40-£50 in mr m's at lunchtime, i asked for help from the people on here and the carrot and stick method was the one that seems to have worked (will know for sure next month) basically told him get your act sorted and the money we save will be used for something he wanted(match tickets) and we came in £50 under budget surprisingly enough! the real test will be this month when 'all' he gets out of it is more money to bring the cc down:confused:

good luck - i hope you can find something that will work for you

DFW#1062 LBM Aug 08 - DFD JUN '22
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,720Users online

Martin's Twitter