Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.
    • 27th Sep 08, 5:14 PM
    October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. 27th Sep 08 at 5:14 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September Grocery Challenge.
    As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Page 3
  • Money saving Diva
    Oooh I love a new shiny thread to post on!! Thank you rosie and Pink and MrsM!

Welshwoofs I am so impressed with your meal plan! I struggle to work out what I am cooking for the next 7 days never mind a whole month!

Still eating free food today from my OH's mum who baked him a huge ham and egg pie (his fave) and a strawberry trifle for his birthday yesterday. Plus we have a huge birthday cake to get through!

My month started on the 26th and so far we haven't had to buy anything but I know we are out of washing powder so will have to give in and do a small top up shop tomorrow. Plus we have people coming to dinner on Tuesday as a belated birthday evening for the OH so that will involve some spending, though it will be worth it!

Good luck everyone with your challenge for this month.

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Afternoon all

Have sorted out the vague meal plan for the month.. nice n easy as we have various faves that have to appear every week -plus I allow for variations, so the pasta bake could have anything in it -all depending on what needs using
    • corned beef hash n dumplings X 4 that then becomes
    • cornedbeef hash pie X 4
    • pasta bakes X 4
    • roast chicken dinner X 4
    • chinese pork wraps with stirfry n noodles X 2
    • gyros wraps with salad n HM coleslaw X2
    • potato and onion layer X 4
    • thai salmon n noodles X 1
    • salmon fishcakes, wedges and peasX 1
    • tuna steak with stirfry + noodles X 1
    • fish pie with veg X 1
    • chicken + leek suet puddings with veggies X 1
    • turkey + ham Pie X 1
    Hubbies lunches will be Hm bread and flasks of soups -its cold now so it keeps him toasty :-
    • Chicken n sweetcorn -using the carcass every weekend
    • cream of tomato - using some of the roast toms from the freezer
    • cream of veg n lentil -according to what veg im preparing
    • chill + bean
    • cream of leek n potato
    • cauliflower cheese
    • cream of mushroom
    So thats me sorted for the month -and I should only be needing fresh yeast, milk and some veggies (towards the end of the month)
    Im going to try and spend as little as possible -but I may use some of my 100 to buy more stuff for the store for winter -which is filling up rather nicely
    right i had better get off and update the list
    have a great evening everyone and good luck with this month
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • savingfortravel
    Hi Everyone!!
    Its so exciting when a new month starts isn't it. Hope everyone has a brilliant month.
    Thanks for the new thread and for adding our budget to the list.
    Everyone is getting so organised, especially those thinking about Christmas!!
    Rosieben-Hope you get the freezer sorted soon.
    Bullet, Mrs M and Welshwoofs-Great meal plans...I also have sorted out October but I know it will change according to offers and whoopsies that surprise us..
    Bigbird-Spicy carrot and tomato soup sounds lovely..care to share the recipe??
    Good luck all!
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
  • WelshWoofer
    Afternoon!
    I did a post yesterday on the Sept thread that disappeared - it was about my Oct plans so I suppose it serves me right!!!

Anyway, my oct budget has already been eaten into with a Mr T shop for essentials for the week (or so I thought!) that came to 39.19

There are lots of new things that I haven't seen before in my Mr T's - most of them are in the discounter range aimed to counteract Aldi - soem seemed OK but I'm not an Aldi regular so I'm not sure how they comapre pricewise or what the quality is like. I did buy the Daisy washing up liquid 69p and bleach 49p and the discounter range squash 89p- all seem fine to me. Also got the fresh pesto 75p but haven't tried that yet.

We're both off to the US next Sunday for the best part of a week (working unfortunately) and I've placed an order for a Mr S delivery for the day we get back (using a 15 off 60 voucher) that comes to about 51 that will hopefully last us the best part of 2 weeks for general stuff and the rest of the month for meat. We'll see......

Anyway off to do the menu plan for the week using up the fresh stuff before the trip.I expect we'll need more milk during the week but we should be OK for everything else.

Happy budgeting!
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • Casperthefriendlyghost
    • By Casperthefriendlyghost 28th Sep 08, 5:18 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 4,000 Thanks
    Casperthefriendlyghost
    Good evening!

I started my October grocery challenge on the 25th September and have been so looking forward to starting a new challenge. Have not spent any grocery money so far this month, so that's always a good start. My month runs until 23rd October.

Good luck everyone and remember you only fail if you stop trying.

Cheers
    Casper
    x x x
    LBM Feb 09 64 427.32 13 700.59! Sub 15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec 40.00 SSF 00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) 13.59 SSF 00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
    • rockie4
    • By rockie4 28th Sep 08, 5:28 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 9,892 Thanks
    rockie4
    My month starts tomorrow - payday
    I'm hoping to last out until next week for a shop apart from milk which I'm nearly out of due to the grandkids being here all weekend
    My freezer is full but I need to run it down for defrosting so we're having freezer meals this week.
    No need to worry about puds for the month having spent Saturday blanching/stewing/freezing 2 carrier bags of apples donated by neighbouring allotmenteers I also made a tin full of Twinks hobnobs and some courgette muffins for the cake tin.
  • mumzyof2
    My month will start tomorrow.

Going to bake some peanut butter cookies and millie cookies this week.. all depending on how im feeling cause im feeling down at mo once again
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
    • egon
    • By egon 28th Sep 08, 5:48 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    egon
    Please put me down for £190 in October. My challenge runs from the 1st - 31st.

Thank you

Egon
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 28th Sep 08, 6:28 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,517 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Good evening All

this is a nice shiny new thread isnt it ..I have noy updated my siggie until now as I have been a bit busy,,,what with rellies and one thing and another,,
    I just hope my 200 this month lasts as I think it might.. I have just picked all my christmas tree decorations from the garden. and once they are dried and painted they will look nice ,,this is me being a Money Saver .but they do look nice on the tree,, last years went mouldy in the summer as I did not varnish or paint them

have not made any meal plans like I see some of you have but I know I should

see you next week probably

KAAT xx
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Moniker
    • By Moniker 28th Sep 08, 7:09 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    I am not going to declare until Tuesday but I have decided to set myself a target of 325 for October please Mrs M. (I did post this in the September thread but have put the figures in again in case you miss it!) My new month will run from 1st to 28th October.

Well done everyone and thanks for your inspiration.

Moniker
  • bullet
    I am going to use October to have a go at making pickle as well. As I have never made pickle before, it could prove interesting.
    I need to declare my September totals on Tuesday as well, since Wednesday is the best day to go shopping for the October money. I shall get the meat and veg just for the week and all the store cupboard stuff for the month.
    • sammyjig
    • By sammyjig 28th Sep 08, 7:23 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    sammyjig
    Hello, came in well under my estimated budget last month so this month I would like to go for 200 please.
    Do more of what makes you happy
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 28th Sep 08, 7:27 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    Think I should get back into this, my signature shows it's been a while (as does my bank balance and cupboards)

MRSM well done at keeping up with the totals list I started, I sometimes feel a bit guilty as I know how much work it takes, but you're doing a great job!

That said please put me down for £300 for October. 4 weeks for us which is a family of 4, 2 dogs, a lizard and a hedgehog and includes food for all meals (inc pack ups etc), cleaning, toiletries etc etc.
    Last edited by lil_me; 29-09-2008 at 5:26 PM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • catnap53
    Please count me in again. 250 pounds for October, 5 week month, lots in stock, but will be off work last week of the month, and will either visit eldest DD or she will come here. Either way we always seem to spend more.

Had to go to Tesco for my mother's shopping today, so got some bits, including the half price Finish DW tablets as the offer was ending today. The shelf price said full price, but I got DD to scan it before the box went in my trolley.

Very little YS and virtually none of the value stuff I went for. Empty shelves where there should have been value chocolate and the 4p curry sauce that I was going to try. Only one tin of 26p sweet and sour, and four bags of SR flour. I only wanted two and the first one I picked up had a hole in it and I got flour all over my black jacket and trousers. .

Oops, sat down with mother's receipt, will edit in a bit.

(EDIT I spent 24.34, so not too bad as it included the DW tablets. Hve just made a pan of soup with the stock from the gammon I boiled yesterday, but the spicy carrot and tomato looks good, still got some of last weeks 50p carrots so will give it a try.)

Good luck to all this month.

Zzzz
    Last edited by catnap53; 28-09-2008 at 7:59 PM. Reason: Update spends

• SJC31
    Having read all the posts I thought I should make a meal plan. However, having just opened the freezer I will work my way through that first. Not sure how all that food got in there (I live on my own so it shouldn't be too hard to work out! )

Everyone seems so organised, hopefully some of it will rub off on me.

Good luck everyone
    1st GC Oct 08-100/6.13
    • *BigBird*
    • By *BigBird* 28th Sep 08, 7:48 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 5,077 Thanks
    *BigBird*
    Bigbird-Spicy carrot and tomato soup sounds lovely..care to share the recipe??
    Originally posted by savingfortravel
    It is my pleasure to share But credit for this recipe has to go to betheebee, who posted this on the OS daily thread a little while back:

4oz red lentils
    2 onions (cooked in micro until soft)
    1 tin tomatoes
    8 carrots sliced
    4 cloves crushed garlic (sounds a lot but it's not)
    salt & pepper
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp dried basil
    2 veg stock cubes in 1.5 pts of water.
    a few dashes of Worcester sauce (I used 1 tbs to give it a kick)
    4 drops of Tabasco
    2 tsps tomato puree.
    Put all of the above in a pan, bring to boil then simmer until soft. Blend in a liquidizer and enjoy. You can make it spicier by adding more Tabasco but found the amount I used just right to make it spicy but not too hot.

I've split mine into 6 portions, which are now cooling on the worktop along with my potato and leek soup. Now I just need to decide which I will take to work for my lunch tomorrow I think I'll have to put some of the Twinks in the freezer too, else the scales will have bad news again on Wednesday!!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
    • Chell
    • By Chell 28th Sep 08, 7:52 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    55 per week for me again please. I'm off to work out how I did last week and update my sig. My cupboards are really bare. I've done a menu plan for the week and a list to take to Asda tomorrow, I need loads of things.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • kiwiblue
    HI all,
    This will be my second month on the challenge. NSD yesterday and will work out a menu plan today, but as freezer, gardens and storecupboard are full I am quietly confident I can make it.
    have a great day
    Jan: $386.38/$500
    • got-it-spend-it
    • By got-it-spend-it 28th Sep 08, 8:00 PM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 26,648 Thanks
    got-it-spend-it
    Can I join with 100 for the month please? I'm starting back on weight watchers this week so will need to be disciplined and resist temptation to spend, spend, spend on 'diet' foods.

Thanks

GISI
    Yummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator
    • brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 28th Sep 08, 8:08 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    Hi all - did post on the September thread - but thought I'd better include it here aswell! Came in slightly under budget for September - am setting my budget for October at 400 - this is for a 5 week month for 2 adults, 3 children (one in nappies), packed lunches for all, contact lens solutions, cleaning stuff etc etc....:rolleyes:

Have so far (my challenge started on the 25th Sept) spent 74.47 - have got most of the essential cleaning/household stuff for the month...but my freezer is already nearly empty - it's only small, so I can really only store a week's worth of meat, bread etc in it - no batch cooking for me!

Anyhow...am going to try REALLY hard to come in under budget - but don't think it'll be easy!!
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/100
    Christmas Saving 0/1300

Saving Target 2014 25/1000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,334Posts Today

7,762Users online

Martin's Twitter