We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

If I move abroad do I still have to pay off my student loan?

Options

Comments

• Flower08
    Flower08 Posts: 4,771 Forumite
    Options
    Of course you have to pay it back, you ran up the debts, you have to pay them back. Just like everyone else here that is in debt!
    Biggest Loser Weight Loss: 13 / 20 lb
  • makes_cents
    Options
    What's with all the grief that this guy is getting?! People pay thousands of pounds to accountants to reduce their tax bill and everyone just views that as something that makes sense; nobody wants to give the government more than they have to!

I would never want to leave the UK but don't blast the guy for not loving this country. If someone gave me a way of legally not paying back my loans (except by never earning more than a few £k) then I'd jump at it, I'm sure most of you here would too.

That's just it though, it isn't legal to dodge your loan when you rise above the earnings threshold wherever you are.

Also when you return to the UK you (or your parents) may be lumped with a huge bill.

MC
    MBNA CC: -£8390
    Father-in-law loan: -£4500
    Student loans: -£17,120

Total debt: -£30,010 :mad:
  • farso
    farso Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    What's with all the grief that this guy is getting?! People pay thousands of pounds to accountants to reduce their tax bill and everyone just views that as something that makes sense; nobody wants to give the government more than they have to!

Right on!

I have thought several times about why we are paying interest at quite a high rate (compared to what they are sold as) to people without money. Not sure its totally legal - looking back at those IVA things.

Another thing that is never mentioned on this post, literally tens of thousands are given away to people who never work in their lives, and here we have people who are hard working and intelligent who dont get a penny for free (in most cases), but must have to pay the amount that they had back!

There is no wonder people want to leave this country, and I am also in favour of it after my degree, but am looking at multiple locations to live to evade all taxes.

The lightly planned way to evade your student debt, move country to outside the EU for over 3 years, change your name, and if you need to return to the uk, you will need all new NI numbers etc.

Possibly not foolproof, but part of the way there.

Power to the students
  • The_One_Who
    Options
    farso wrote: »
    Right on!

I have thought several times about why we are paying interest at quite a high rate (compared to what they are sold as) to people without money. Not sure its totally legal - looking back at those IVA things.

Another thing that is never mentioned on this post, literally tens of thousands are given away to people who never work in their lives, and here we have people who are hard working and intelligent who dont get a penny for free (in most cases), but must have to pay the amount that they had back!

There is no wonder people want to leave this country, and I am also in favour of it after my degree, but am looking at multiple locations to live to evade all taxes.

The lightly planned way to evade your student debt, move country to outside the EU for over 3 years, change your name, and if you need to return to the uk, you will need all new NI numbers etc.

Possibly not foolproof, but part of the way there.

Power to the students

I have nothing to say to this that could be written on a public forum.

It's hardly power to the students, more like power to the tax evaders. Also, it's a student LOAN, and loans should be paid back. If not for legal reasons then for moral reasons.
  • melancholly
    Options

It's hardly power to the students, more like power to the tax evaders. Also, it's a student LOAN, and loans should be paid back. If not for legal reasons then for moral reasons.
    i could not agree more. it is shocking that so many people happily take money as a loan with quite frankly amazing repayment terms relative to commercial loans and come up with such ridiculous measures to avoid paying back what they owe.

farso's post is shameful
    :happyhear
  • Flower08
    Flower08 Posts: 4,771 Forumite
    Options

Completely agree, i have a student loan and wouldnt even think about not paying it back. Everyone else in the country who is in debt has to pay it back so why should it be any different for us students?
    To be honest i think even if you want to you wont be able to avoid paying it.
    Biggest Loser Weight Loss: 13 / 20 lb
  • terrimolo
    Options
    I don't really think the OP was looking for your opinions on whether or not you approve of his behaviour. He came on this site, to look for some information and wanted people to help him, if they already had that information.
    Not many previous posts were in any way helpful, nor are they likely to change the OP's mind about avoiding his repayments.

Anyway, down to business, a cousin of mine hasn't given the SLC an address for several years, and recently moved to Korea. He has not paid back any of his loan and has no intention of doing so. His employer in Korea has no interest (haha, gettit?) in whether he pays it. Basically, what I'm saying is, no, if you move abroad, you're probably not going to have to pay back your student loan while you're there. Maybe if you come back to the UK and are looking at getting a mortgage, (then I'm not sure) maybe it will become an issue for you. My advice would be, go for it, unless the SLC becomes ridiculously revamped and actually starts to pay attention, you'll be fine.
    ....I'd rather have two minutes of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special....
  • roryliam
    Options
    I find it slightly ironic that the original poster complains about benefit 'scroungers' (who may or may not be entitled to what the government gives, most are fyi) while at the same time asking about committing a more direct type of theft from the government.

My view is that it's not worth the trouble, they'll probably get you eventually and the punishment when they do get you will be much more harsh than paying 9% of your annual earnings over £15,000 every year.
  • farso
    farso Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    roryliam wrote: »
    I find it slightly ironic that the original poster complains about benefit 'scroungers' (who may or may not be entitled to what the government gives, most are fyi)

Oh, and please tell me exactly why the government needs to crackdown on all these people who are all entitled to these handouts.

Market forces - If it doesnt pay for itself, its probably not worth it. Simple.
    eg. Cant afford a child? Dont have one
    eg. Never been to work? Obviously not worthy of a job (Or filthy ritch)

I agree with seeing people through genuine hard times that I understand do happen, but why give to the lazy and take from the hard working? If you believe my post is shameful, then go slamming every single post in the benefits and scroungers board.
  • The_One_Who
    Options
    Oh please. I agree that there needs to be a tightening up of the welfare system but that does not mean I'm going to go out of my way to avoid repaying my student loan.

Can't afford a child? Don't have one? Really, and what if the family's situation changes. A parent becomes ill or redundant? The child becomes seriously ill and a parent is needed to care for him/her? There are any number of scenarios.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport