Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 9
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 19th Jul 08, 10:31 PM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 8,767 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    Sara1880 - I see what you are saying, what is the point when I can buy it for just 1, but the tomato sauce will cost you under 40p. You know exactly what is in it no preservatives. It is really no more effort than nuking a jar. You could make a couple of batches and put 1 in the fridge for later in the week or make several batches and freeze the rest if you have a freezer. You have 60p left to make a fruit pudding.

I try to be OS, but am not really, but one thing I do is make up large batches of tomato veg sauce in my slow cooker and freeze it. I put extra veg in eg carrots, butternut squash, courgette - peppers would be nice or celery. but we don't particularly like them. I will also add a jar of tom puree too. I blend it down and use it as a base for tom sauce, bolognaise, chilli etc. It works out very reasonably priced and 1 portion gives us at least 2 or 3 of our 5 a day.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 19th Jul 08, 11:50 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,921 Thanks
    freyasmum
    If you live near a Farmfood store, then buy a carton of tomato passata and blend it one on one with milk. Microwave for 5 minutes. Makes a good emergency soup.
    Originally posted by countrymusicfan
    You can also use the 19p tins of tomato puree from Tesco (dunno is anywhere else does them?! Probably, but that's where I got mine!) and use 1/2 - ltr of the UHT milk.

I did this on Thursday and it really does make a quite, easy and tasty soup
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 20th Jul 08, 9:43 AM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 8,767 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    My son makes a lovely soup from onions, passata and stock. Very simple and lovely . Fry onions , add them to simmering passata with a bit of stock then after simmered for about 5/10 mins whizz with blender. Very good soup, very easy.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 20th Jul 08, 11:14 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Hi butterfly,

Corned beef toad sounds interesting - what is it?

TIA
    Originally posted by Mappygirl
    Sausage Toad but using Corned Beef
    Cut a tin of corned beef into chunks
    Put into a roasting dish and put in oven for 10 mins
    Make up a Yorkshire pudding Batter
    Pour the batter over the corned beef and scatter a sliced onion on top
    Bake in the oven until golden and well risen
    My kids love it
    Just a note don't add any oil because the corned beef gives out a lot

Hope you enjoy it x
  • Teria
    My daughters' favourite meal - veggie pasta
    1/2 jar Lidl bolognaise sauce - 30p
    1/2 tin chopped toms - 11p
    3 chopped carrots - abt 10p
    handful frozen onions - abt 10p
    2 handfuls frozen peppers - abt 10p
    mushrooms - as many as poss - abt 50p
    handful raisins - abt 5p
    pasta - abt 10p
    So that's about 60p per portion, which is actually more than I thought it would be. Still not bad though, and if I didn't have a mushroom addiction, it would be a lot less.
  • Teria
    Farmfoods at the moment are doing litre cartons of tomato, sweet pepper and carrot juice for 39p. It's lovely as a drink, but can also be used as a base for borscht, or other tomatoey soup.
    (just if you live in the Dover area, expect them to have sold out )
    • jd1000
    • By jd1000 15th Aug 08, 9:10 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    jd1000
    Recipes...
    Anyone have any money saving recipes to share... with ingredients that are cheap to buy, quick to cook and nutrious and filling....
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 15th Aug 08, 9:18 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Anyone have any money saving recipes to share...
    Originally posted by jd1000
    This is Old Style -we have thousands

I'll add this question to an existing thread on cheap recipes so you can browse others' ideas

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • cady
    i tend to buy stuff i can make loads of meals out of i think mince sausage and potatoes are always a must to have in as can make so much
    mince and dumplings
    spag bol
    chilli
    sausage cassorole
    bangers and mash
    toad in the hole ect
    also its good to have pasta and rice in the cubards too as are quick and easy i know asda has its mince for 50p over this weekend if you have and room in your freezer HTH
  • ShelBell
    I found this in one of my mums hand written recipe books - Cheese & Bean Pie

Take a packet of 8 economy sausages and remove the skin.
    Press into the base of a round pyrex style bowl, so it is approx 1inch thick.
    Pour a tin of baked beans over the top
    Top with grated cheese
    Bake in a moderate oven for 30-40 minutes until sausage meat is cooked.

yummy with mashed potato for ultimate comfort food, and kids love it.
  • Drea
    Cheap dinners?
    Had posted this on shop but don't drop but was advised here might be better.

I am going to do online shopping and I'm hoping to get a months worth of dinners (I prefer to do this so that I know I have enough food and don't have to worry about money for it). I am going to be quite poor this month though and was wondering what would be good cheap dinners? I still want to eat properly and have something tasty.

I got a cookbook for one recently which I've been using but its so expensive, costing around £6 for one dinner, at least. Finding it quite hard to cook for one person and keep the costs down (used to be two, was a lot easier). Any advice appreciated!
    Last edited by Drea; 24-08-2008 at 4:13 PM.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Hi

Do you have a freezer as most of the below meals freeze very well?

Roast Dinner
    Curry & Rice
    Baked Spuds
    Tuna Pasta Bake
    Fishfinger, Mash & Veg
    Shepherds Pie
    Chilli
    Spagbol
    Toad In Hole
    Sausage Cassarole
    Omelette
    HM Lasagna
    Stew & Dumplings
    Egg & Chips
    HM Fish Pie
    Meat & Potatoe Pie
    Cheese & Potatoe Pie
    Sausage & Mash
    HM Pizza
    Beans on toast
    Soup & Sarnie
    Egg on toast

HTH

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 24th Aug 08, 4:18 PM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    As Pen-Pin says, if you have a freezer then it makes things easier.
    You could cook for 2 and eat one and freeze one....even better if you cook for 4
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 24th Aug 08, 4:21 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    Those meals look really good.

I'm the only one in the house that will eat liver/bacon/onions in gravy.
    So I cook a larger amount, and pile it into lock & locks with some mash and cabbage, then nuke it through in the microwave.
    Mind you when I lived on my own I survived on breakfast cereals for dinner a lot of the time. My, I was so slim then
    Barney is my border collie.
    • Steve-o
    • By Steve-o 24th Aug 08, 4:27 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 7,520 Thanks
    Steve-o
    A cheap base for dinners is frozen veg, as well as being very convenient. Dried goods are the same (various beans, chickpeas, etc), although they will have no Vitamin C in them.

A cheap and tasty meal for me at the moment is a pack of 9p Tesco/Asda curry flavour noodles, and lots of different frozen veg thrown in. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare, costs about 15p or so in total, and contains lots of healthy veg. I'm going to half the noodle packs though, as I'm finding the meal too filling due to the amount of veg I use.

Any frozen veg is excellent for convenience, healthiness and cost, no matter if it is bought or frozen yourself.
    I have no signature.

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Aug 08, 4:28 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Drea,

There's an earlier thread that should help so I've added your thread to it. These threads may help too:

Meal for two for 50p. Suggestions?

The Cheapest Healthy Meal Ever!

Feed 6 for 1.62

Cheapest meal

Your Cheapest Evening Meal.

cheap, easy family meals

Show Jamie How To Cook On A Budget Champagne Contest

Meal idea's under 1

Pink
  • Drea
    I do have a freezer. Bit of a hopeless cook though! I know they are probably a bit expensive, but I do like those ready to cook meals that you just pop in the oven in their foil trays. But they are always for two people... been sitting with this tesco page open for ages
    • Steve-o
    • By Steve-o 24th Aug 08, 4:46 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 7,520 Thanks
    Steve-o
    I do have a freezer. Bit of a hopeless cook though! I know they are probably a bit expensive, but I do like those ready to cook meals that you just pop in the oven in their foil trays. But they are always for two people... been sitting with this tesco page open for ages
    Originally posted by Drea
    In that case, may I introduce you to foil cooking dishes. http://www.lakeland.co.uk/foil-casserole-dishes/F/keyword/foil/product/2514_2515_2516_2517

I bought some from Asda, 10 for 1. Haven't used them yet though.
    I have no signature.

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Aug 08, 4:49 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Drea,

You might find some more ideas on these threads:

What can a single person use on this board?

Need help cooking for one.

living on your own/cooking for one....

Saving Money On Food For a SINGLE person

Help a Single Saver

Single moneysaver living on my own!

Pink
  • Drea
    Didn't even think of buying foil trays to seperate them!

Thanks pink, will have a look through them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,607Posts Today

6,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin