PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest recipies.

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Stephen,

I tried your original recipe and added lemon thyme from the garden. That worked very well too. Great recipe, and frugal enough even for me!:D

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    we had the garlic and oil pasta for dinner. Delicious.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • countrymusicfan
    Options
    I cooked a good meal, today of cheese fritters. They cost very little as all they are is batter flavoured with cheese, but boy are they filling.
    Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money but you can't get more time
  • tootiefrooties
    Options
    Another good pasta sauce for when the cupboards are bare is a chopped dried red chili fried in olive oil, with a teaspoon of honey to take the edge off. include anything from all its seeds to some, or none (if you want a little kick but not too hot), and add garlic, parsley and seasoning to taste.

A basic white sauce works out very cheaply too - a small knob of butter, spoonful of flour, mustard and as much milk as the portions require. you can add anything to this (garlic, herbs, cheese, crushed peppercorns) and it's so versatile.

And of course, tinned chopped tomatoes are only 20p!
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    [quote=piefacerecords;12498273_And_of_course,_tinned_chopped_tomatoes_are_only_20p![/quote]

My OH loves pasta mixed with a tin of ratatouille! Suppose you could 'blitz' it to hide the veg if necessary.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As I have said before, I may not earn much money, but I do not consider that a reason to be poor.

:T :T :T

I love cheap, tasty recipes :A I'll add this to our existing thread to keep all ideas together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    Kidney and mushroom pie
    Spag Bol
    Frittata
    Pittas filled with sliced chicken or left over mince and salad
    Macaroni cheese
    Kidneys in potatoes
    Sausage and beans with a mashed potato topping
    Sausage casserole
    Sausage Pasta
    Eggs Mornay ( Eggs on a bed of mashed potato)
    Tuna fishcakes
    Corned Beef Hash
    Corned beef Toad
    Corned Beef Paprika
    Shepherds Pie
    Bacon Pasta
    I could go on and on, you just have to be a little inventive many of my Bung it meals - as the kids call them have come out great and been added regularly
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • countrymusicfan
    Options
    If you live near a Farmfood store, then buy a carton of tomato passata and blend it one on one with milk. Microwave for 5 minutes. Makes a good emergency soup.
    Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money but you can't get more time
  • Mappygirl
    Mappygirl Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    Hi butterfly,

Corned beef toad sounds interesting - what is it?

TIA
    :D lightbulb moment Jan 07 - DFW 417!debtwas£32k
    debt June 08' £28,745
    A payment a day total - £370.50
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    Sara1880 - I see what you are saying, what is the point when I can buy it for just £1, but the tomato sauce will cost you under 40p. You know exactly what is in it no preservatives. It is really no more effort than nuking a jar. You could make a couple of batches and put 1 in the fridge for later in the week or make several batches and freeze the rest if you have a freezer. You have 60p left to make a fruit pudding.

I try to be OS, but am not really, but one thing I do is make up large batches of tomato veg sauce in my slow cooker and freeze it. I put extra veg in eg carrots, butternut squash, courgette - peppers would be nice or celery. but we don't particularly like them. I will also add a jar of tom puree too. I blend it down and use it as a base for tom sauce, bolognaise, chilli etc. It works out very reasonably priced and 1 portion gives us at least 2 or 3 of our 5 a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure